Question Any games with solid raids besides WoW/Rift?

Hey guys. I'm trying to look for a new game to raid in. WoW in general just doesn't hook me like it used to, though I will admit that ToT was a pretty awesome raid. The only other recent game I've tried raiding in was Rift, so I'm looking for something besides these 2. Any thoughts?

Raiding has never been the popular thing to do with a large amount of MMO gamers so you will have a very small list to choose from.

However, I've seen my friend play TERA, and the dungeons are comparable to WoW raids. They are pretty complex, hard and it different than your run of the mill WoW Heroic Dungeons/Raids.

If you can manage to get through the lower tiers EQ2 has some great raiding, and I've heard SWTOR's raiding has improved quite a bit since launch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    If you can manage to get through the lower tiers EQ2 has some great raiding, and I've heard SWTOR's raiding has improved quite a bit since launch as well.
    Hmm, I hadn't heard that about SWTOR's raiding, even though is was buggy and on the easy side, it's first couple raids were kindof enjoyable.

Deleted
    Swtor is not at wow lvl but not far from it. i personally like it allot.

Everquest 2, Secret World and Runes of Magic have decently good raiding/dungeons.

SWTOR has pretty good raids. Though I haven't played the game in a long time. I understand a lot has changed. Maybe for better or worse. Not sure.

The two MMOs which do large scale instance encounters best are World of Warcraft and Rift in the modern era. There are not many rivals in that area of design to Blizzard and Trion, respectively.

Deleted
    HKO has some amazing raids, on the level of WoWs, some of them could be regarded even better

Raiding in SWTOR is pretty good these days. It's almost on par with wow's and they continue to improve. And next to that the leveling experience is also fun these days in SWTOR with all the people on the planet. It is beginning to look like a MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Everquest 2, Secret World and Runes of Magic have decently good raiding/dungeons.

SWTOR has pretty good raids. Though I haven't played the game in a long time. I understand a lot has changed. Maybe for better or worse. Not sure.

The two MMOs which do large scale instance encounters best are World of Warcraft and Rift in the modern era. There are not many rivals in that area of design to Blizzard and Trion, respectively.
    I've been looking into EQ2 a bit. I've been trying to find some info on Vanguard to see how raiding is in that, but I'm not having too much luck. I wasn't aware that Runes of Magic had good dungeons raids, so I'll have to read up on it, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm, EQ2 or EQ1 would be nice contenders. EQ1 however is pretty hard to get into.

The F2P portion makes raiding hard to get through though. So the P2P part is pretty necessary for the min of one month. Afterwards if you are able to farm up plat for 'increase sub time' items. Buy them from the trade broker. I don't know the current prices, they probably went down from last time. (It was expensive as hell. )

As others have said, WoW and RIFT are the biggest for raids, followed by Eq2. However, I'd also look into Wildstar- it's not out yet, but it's trying for the biggest raiding scene since WoW (20-man and 40-man raids, weekly changes, leaderboards, competitions for legendary gear, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    As others have said, WoW and RIFT are the biggest for raids, followed by Eq2. However, I'd also look into Wildstar- it's not out yet, but it's trying for the biggest raiding scene since WoW (20-man and 40-man raids, weekly changes, leaderboards, competitions for legendary gear, etc.)
    It's funny you say that because I'm really looking forward to Wildstar. I'm mostly looking for something to keep me from getting rusty while we wait for it to come out

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post
    Mmm, EQ2 or EQ1 would be nice contenders. EQ1 however is pretty hard to get into.

The F2P portion makes raiding hard to get through though. So the P2P part is pretty necessary for the min of one month. Afterwards if you are able to farm up plat for 'increase sub time' items. Buy them from the trade broker. I don't know the current prices, they probably went down from last time. (It was expensive as hell. )
    I agree with this. You will need to pay to raid and the only option you have if you want to raid is pay for gold membership. I logged into my account just this weekend as f2p and checked out my group geared necro at level 90 and his HP went from being 25k unbuffed to 7k unbuffed. If I'm bored enough, I'll just re-sub a gold membership for a bit. All of my groupable items were unusable in terms of the click effects, my AA was capped at 1k, basically unplayable solo.

I think they introduced some item that actually costs $17.99 for game time, but people can sell/trade these in game. Not sure how that even works, does a Krono pay for a month of gold membership?

Either way though, if you are going to raid the current content, you're going to need to hit the level cap and grind out several thousand AA minimum to not be dead weight. Be warned, if you decide to play, leveling is super boring as you'll just be sitting in 1 spot for hours upon hours or hope you find a group to get into. I'm not really sure how difficult the raids are now, but the last time I raided was a few expansions ago (House of Thule). Most of those raid events took 10-45 minutes to complete and limited to 54 people, some of them were interesting, some were super annoying/boring. It was a lot different than several years ago when I quit hardcore raiding. I remember the first raid I did upon returning, everything had massive AoE damage and the tank HP bars would go up and down from 100 to 0 in a blink of an eye...wasn't used to that initially. It wasn't necessarily difficult mechanic wise, but there are a lot of things that happen in one encounter and some of them are very unforgiving when someone messes up.

Finally, the raiding scene in EQ from looking at serverwide progression. It's kind of dead as there is literally just one hardcore raiding guild that smashes through the content as soon as it comes out, which I guess is understandable since the game is super old and the people who raid are most likely 5-10 year veterans of the game who only have time to raid limited hours a week.
    Last edited by obake1; 2013-05-14 at 08:37 AM.