Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Dropping 2 mil subs a year so if the trend keeps up there are 4 more years...

SO! You have 4 years to turn the ship around, what would YOU do to make that happen! Share your vision. You might change a lot, you might change a little, so what will it be?

I would have:

- new skills and talents are earned by defeating solo bosses, beating challenges or discovering them in hidden places
    - highest tier raids can't be in LFR, all other raids are though
    - anything you help kill you'll get your own personal loot/objective fulfilled from raids/dungeons to open world
    - MVP's will get bonus loot in dungeons and raids
    - no more welfare vendors, all loot comes from instances
    - class tutorial quests or class mentors/companions, a mentoring system and more socially driven reward systems in general
    - merge low population servers or allow CRZ raiding/AH's
    - add new player models and update character animations to have unique animation for every skill, also add unique geometry for all armour pieces and not just head and shoulders
    - open world partying, gathering, looting and questing should work like guild wars 2, phasing would effect the zone and not yourself
    - add jumping puzzles and rewarded exploration
    - add a dynamic event system like Rifts rift invasions or guild wars 2's dynamic events
    - remove daily quests and replace them with a 24/7 open world BG that works very similar to the first rendition of Alterac Valley
    - exp is not reduced/shared by partying and is slightly increased
    - add action combat i.e. blocking/dodging/parrying are skills and not stats, also have to aim attacks, no more tab target like Tera and not Guild Wars 2
    Last edited by peedei; 2013-05-13 at 05:48 AM.

No more bullshit threads like this one prolly

I would make a carbon copy of Wrath of the Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I would make a carbon copy of Wrath of the Lich King.
    It would be an interesting experiment to make servers dedicated to certain expansions, I think the data would be very telling of what people gravitate towards, I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't tried this yet.

Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by peedei View Post
    SO! You have 4 years to turn the ship around, what would YOU do to make that happen! Share your vision. You might change a lot, you might change a little, so what will it be?

I would have:

- new skills and talents are earned by defeating solo bosses, beating challenges or discovering them in hidden places
    - anything you help kill you'll get your own personal loot/objective fulfilled from raids/dungeons to open world
    - no more welfare vendors, all loot comes from instances
    - class tutorial quests or class mentors/companions, a mentoring system and more socially driven reward systems in general
    - merge low population servers or allow CRZ raiding/AH's
    - add new player models and update character animations to have unique animation for every skill, also add unique geometry for all armour pieces and not just head and shoulders
    - open world partying, gathering, looting and questing should work like guild wars 2
    - add jumping puzzles and rewarded exploration
    - add a dynamic event system like Rifts rift invasions or guild wars 2's dynamic events
    - remove daily quests and replace them with a 24/7 open world BG that works very similar to the first rendition of Alterac Valley
    - exp is not reduced/shared by partying and is slightly increased
    - add action combat i.e. blocking/dodging/parrying are skills and not stats, also have to aim attacks, no more tab target like Tera and not Guild Wars 2
    Really hate the two bolded parts. GW2 was just plain aweful and if wow went down that path that would be my sub gone. Not a huge fan of the action combat either.

Dynamic events seem fun to start with but they get old really fast. Both rift and GW2 dynamic events become more of a pain in the butt than a fun experience after the first few.

Personally i would like to see a bit more immersion in the game, from simple things like day/night cycle returning to having class quests and uniqueness like when a hunter had to tame pets to learn new skills to teach to other pets. WoW has lost the depth that made it interesting, copying GW2 style just makes the game even shallower.

The game doesn't need drastic changes to 'survive'. Blizzard is constantly trying to adapt and add features/content to it. The game can easily go on for another 5-10 years. Blizzard will support the game and keep on developing content for it. The only thing that can change is our willingness to play it if its not as popular as it is right now.

I do see WoW going F2P eventually though. Not sure when. The entire gaming industry is moving towards a F2P model and blizzard will adapt as well (not anytime soon though).

And predicting from such patterns if they were to be believed would have seen the game at sub 1m subscriptions about 2 years ago.
    Another load of rubbish.

This thread is extremely cheerful and optimistic.

Considering most people estimate that NA and EU have approximately 1,6m subscribers and 1,3m subscribers each, while 5m are in Asia, then WoW is much closer to it's last breath in the West than people might think. I personally wouldn't give it more than 2 more years before WoW disappears from people's minds and the majority of western players will have moved on. Asia will still simmer on in the end with a few million subscribers while the west will only have a small core of a fanbase left (every MMO keeps surviving on a core fanbase of a few hundred thousand members, even many decades after the game came out).

It's already pretty apparant that WoW isn't very popular in the west anymore... Roll a character on a WoW server and find yourself in a desolate lonely place.
    Roll a character in Tera, Neverwinter, GW2, Darkfall, Age of Wushu, Allods, etc. and you'll find yourself surrounded by people in a lively and vibrant realm.

What's the point anyway? Who gives a fuck if there are 5 million subscribers in Asia? Who gives a fuck that there are 8 million worldwide when nearly all western WoW realms feel dead and empty? Hm?

WoW is already pretty desolate and abandoned in the west, the remaining subscribers just get wool pulled over their eyes with the pointless 8 million 'most played MMO in the world rethoric', not realising that in the west people have already moved on.
    Last edited by True Anarch; 2013-05-13 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hpgupta View Post
    The game doesn't need drastic changes to 'survive'. Blizzard is constantly trying to adapt and add features/content to it. The game can easily go on for another 5-10 years. Blizzard will support the game and keep on developing content for it. The only thing that can change is our willingness to play it if its not as popular as it is right now.

I do see WoW going F2P eventually though. Not sure when. The entire gaming industry is moving towards a F2P model and blizzard will adapt as well (not anytime soon though).
    WoW going F2P or merging servers is really bad PR which is why I think CRZ came about and isn't really finished yet either. There's too much doom attached to F2P and if the biggest P2P MMO ever made suddenly switched it would cause a &*^% storm the likes the community would have never seen before.

Wow will obviously go free to play someday. I predict that will happen once Titan is thriving, and Wow is down to 2 million subs (or less).

6 years from now maybe. By then Wow will be 15 years old. Pretty impressive, when most MMO's go F2P in their first year, or start out F2P because they know they could never make any money from subs.

If past performance were indicative of future performance Wow would have something like 20 million or more players, seeing as it went from 0 to 12 million players from 2004 to 2009 (wrath numbers in there, not sure exact dates)

This is not a good way to see the end of Wow

2mill subs a year? I believe that we peaked at 12mill in mid-late 2010, during 3.3.3. Which means 1,3mill per year.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill
    Stream (Thursday 19:45) | Guild Website

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Wow will obviously go free to play someday. I predict that will happen once Titan is thriving, and Wow is down to 2 million subs (or less)...
    It'll be much sooner than that. By the time WoW only has 2 million subscribers this will mean that NA and EU will only have a few hundred thousand subscribers left, making it smaller than several currently existing western F2P MMOs...

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    No more bullshit threads like this one prolly
    Yes please, don't pretend to be the lead designer or WoW, because you are not. The only ones able to do anything for the game is blizzard himself.

Quote Originally Posted by peedei View Post
    Impossible to balance a game like that, also a crap idea, you can't deny a class it's own skillset.

Less content, always a good idea! What's the great benefit behind that?

Oh, two-tier society now? Elitists ruin games, nobody needs them around.

Replace daily quests with open PvP? What's that supposed to be? Sense?

Yeah, let's make WoW a racing game while we're at it. Tab targeting is OK, different games, different systems. Action combat in MMOs is mostly crap, generally executed badly and would also result in the biggest sub loss of all time. Think for a second.

A guy like you would completely ruin the game and drive even the last of the player base off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    every video game has gamey aspects to it

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post

Yeah, let's make WoW a racing game while we're at it. Tab targeting is OK, different games, different systems. Action combat in MMOs is mostly crap, generally executed badly and would also result in the biggest sub loss of all time. Think for a second.

A guy like you would completely ruin the game and drive even the last of the player base off.
    So just use the current formula for the next 4 years and hope it miraculously bounces back. Gotcha

Also GW2 puts all your skills points around the open world as challenges and it works perfectly fine. Come back when the stress of discussing WoW actually needing help doesn't bother you so much.

Elitist doesn't mean you're good it means you're stuck up much like yourself. MVP stands for most valued participant/person, there can only be 1 MVP. Adding LFR to the newest tier stops people from earning their way to see it, but it doesn't mean they'll never see it, every new patch allows them to see the last tier.

WoW's combat has taken the game as far as it can with the current mechanics its polished, there's a box of new tools that WoW's system could never touch in an action combat system.
    Last edited by peedei; 2013-05-13 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    It'll be much sooner than that. By the time WoW only has 2 million subscribers this will mean that NA and EU will only have a few hundred thousand subscribers left, making it smaller than several currently existing western F2P MMOs...
    Which ones? Because I don't know of any MMO that has more than 500k that is free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Which ones? Because I don't know of any MMO that has more than 500k that is free to play.
    Rift has like 750k or 1 mil or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I was more thinking in the 200-400k range. But Neverwinter apparently had more than a million players so far. GW2 is still growing apparently with more than 500k active players. Age of Wushu has it's realms instantly getting 'full' too whenever they launch a new one with a few hundred thousand subscribers.

But your question is pretty much beside the point.

I'd bet that at 4 million worldwide subscribers Activision-Blizzard will already decide that it's no longer worth the trouble to maintain it and will make it go F2P with an end to major content updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I was more thinking in the 200-400k range. But Neverwinter apparently had more than a million players so far. GW2 is still growing apparently with more than 500k active players. Age of Wushu has it's realms instantly getting 'full' too whenever they launch a new one with a few hundred thousand subscribers.

But your question is pretty much beside the point.

I'd bet that at 4 million worldwide subscribers Activision-Blizzard will already decide that it's no longer worth the trouble to maintain it and will make it go F2P with an end to major content updates.
    WoW subs is more than just "profit" it influences the faith that the stockholders have in the company, Blizzard can never appear "weak" in public and by going F2P it would mean they're admitting to fighting a losing battle, it could cause many more problems than it solves. I don't think it would go F2P for a long time till they release another MMO that they can call their new flagship.