Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Legendary! Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    6,245

    Why are all filling foods nothing but carbs

    I try to eat somewhat healthy but it seems like unless I eat a meal full of carbs, Im always hungry like 2 hours later even if I feel stuffed after eating. Why are all the good tasting foods that keep you feeling full for a long time full of carbs. Stuff like vegetables, fruits, and nuts make you feel ok for a few hours and they dont even taste good. But eat something that actually tastes good like bread, pasta, potatoes, or dumplings and it not only makes you feel full until the next meal but is also actually pleasing to the pallatte.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I try to eat somewhat healthy but it seems like unless I eat a meal full of carbs, Im always hungry like 2 hours later even if I feel stuffed after eating. Why are all the good tasting foods that keep you feeling full for a long time full of carbs. Stuff like vegetables, fruits, and nuts make you feel ok for a few hours and they dont even taste good. But eat something that actually tastes good like bread, pasta, potatoes, or dumplings and it not only makes you feel full until the next meal but is also actually pleasing to the pallatte.
    Try lentils. The only vegetarian meals I'll eat without grumbling (at least inwardly) are lentil curries, and they are filling and healthy.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  3. #3
    Legendary! Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    6,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Try lentils. The only vegetarian meals I'll eat without grumbling (at least inwardly) are lentil curries, and they are filling and healthy.
    Ill give them a try but Ive only ever head of them being used for soup. Guess Ill have to do some recipe searching

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ill give them a try but Ive only ever head of them being used for soup. Guess Ill have to do some recipe searching
    Something like this is very good, and it will go very well with chicken or lamb if you feel the need for some animal in your dinner:

    http://www.grouprecipes.com/49897/sag-dhal-sauce.html

    A recipe that will go well on its own or with lamb is this:

    http://indianfood.about.com/od/lambd.../daalgosht.htm

    (dhal is the Hindi word for "lentil" and "gosht" is the Hindi for "lamb".)
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2013-05-13 at 11:00 PM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,068
    Eat a balanced meal, carbs with veg and a protein to lower the overall GI of the food so you feel fuller for longer. Also try eating a handful of tree nuts, almonds are great, half an hour before a meal or while preparing.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I try to eat somewhat healthy but it seems like unless I eat a meal full of carbs, Im always hungry like 2 hours later even if I feel stuffed after eating. Why are all the good tasting foods that keep you feeling full for a long time full of carbs. Stuff like vegetables, fruits, and nuts make you feel ok for a few hours and they dont even taste good. But eat something that actually tastes good like bread, pasta, potatoes, or dumplings and it not only makes you feel full until the next meal but is also actually pleasing to the pallatte.
    Because you need to eat fat to feel full, and protein obviously. Carb is crap, stick to fat and protein, and you will feel full all day, keep or increase muscle, and burn fat.

    It may sound illogical but the fear of fat is one of the main reasons for the obesity epidemic (eat proper fats like in meat, butter, olive oil and nuts that is, not the processed transfat crap the drench cheap crisps and junkfood in of course).

    Because people don't eat fat, they get hungry every few hours and need to stuff even more useless carbs in themselves. So, even though fat contains about twice as many calories per gram as carbs/protein, becuase it makes you body feel full, and confident that you are not starving, so those calories last you way longer.

    But again, don't eat the transfat craps in cheap junkfood. Eat meat, eggs, oil, nuts etcetera - all the stuff (except for the potatoes) that you grandmother used to use when she was cooking. Don't be afraid of natural fats, and stay away from all the idiotic "fat-free" garbage. Fat-free products will make you fat. Choose whole-milk, not the 0% s**t, and so on. After a while of eating like your grand-dad did (except for the filler carbs that he needed because he was working the fields), you will find yourself starting to lose weight becuase you no longer feel the craving to snack between meals.

  7. #7
    Calorie for calorie, I find nothing more filling than eggs. Satiety seems to be spectacularly subjective though.

    The anti-carb crazy that's presently occurring is fucking insane though. They're a macronutrient, not a little monster that builds fat the moment it's consumed. If you're doing any sort of significant cardio work, you're going to want them in pretty strong quantities.

  8. #8
    Mechagnome lzsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The anti-carb crazy that's presently occurring is fucking insane though. They're a macronutrient, not a little monster that builds fat the moment it's consumed. If you're doing any sort of significant cardio work, you're going to want them in pretty strong quantities.
    It is a bit funny how people are so deathly afraid of one of the most important nutrients to humans. It's not like eating carbohydrates is actually bad for you.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

  9. #9
    Legendary! Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    6,245
    Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    It is a bit funny how people are so deathly afraid of one of the most important nutrients to humans. It's not like eating carbohydrates is actually bad for you.
    Im not scared of them. Id just like to reduce them a little, not eliminate them. Also I do eat lots of meat and eggs. 4 eggs for breakfast every morning at 6am but by 9 am by stomach is rumbling and I start to get lightheaded if I dont eat again. I just cant seem to get through the time period between lunch and supper, and supper and bedtime without eating some form of pasta, bread (pizza), or rice.

  10. #10
    A bowl of Oatmeal (porridge) in the morning will fill you up until 1pm.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    A bowl of Oatmeal (porridge) in the morning will fill you up until 1pm.
    Yeah it won't. It is tasty, it is energetic, but it doesn't fill me up at all. I'm hungry half an hour later.

  12. #12
    I find most high protein sources to be more filling than most high carb/fat food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Yeah it won't. It is tasty, it is energetic, but it doesn't fill me up at all. I'm hungry half an hour later.
    Really? I personally have had problems finding any normal "breakfast" food to be very filling. A bowl of oatmeal and 2 boiled eggs is what I've had the most succes with. If I don't feel like having oatmeal I make something eggbased with veggies instead.

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire RyokuchaMidori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Something like this is very good, and it will go very well with chicken or lamb if you feel the need for some animal in your dinner:

    http://www.grouprecipes.com/49897/sag-dhal-sauce.html

    A recipe that will go well on its own or with lamb is this:

    http://indianfood.about.com/od/lambd.../daalgosht.htm

    (dhal is the Hindi word for "lentil" and "gosht" is the Hindi for "lamb".)
    Thanks for the recipe, they look so good. I currently just boil the lentils, and eat them like that, those recipes will represent a huge upgrade in term of taste. Welcome to lentils heroic mode

    I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea, but if you have craving you can also try to eat a carrot or a fruit, personnaly I love raw carrot (gotta buy the good ones).
    Last edited by RyokuchaMidori; 2013-05-14 at 11:02 AM.
    "Skill, as the world of warcraft goes, is only in question between equals in pvp power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

    Thucydides : " The Melian dialogue".

  14. #14
    A lot of people that want to go on a diet or eat healthier often take it to the extreme: they cut out all the sugar, fat, carbs and salt. I think it's rather funny that the people I know who have done that is now back eating like they always did. It's about balance, nutrition and a feeling of satisfaction when you are done eating.

    I have a few tips that I use to maintain my weight and my lack of muscles:

    Stop eating. Seriously, stop. Most people stop eating when they are full or continue even beyond that. It's a good idea to stop when your plate is empty, think about it, have something to drink, eat more vegetables if you are still hungry after.

    I have one day each week, usually mondays, when I eat what ever I have been "craving" for a while. Like pizza, coke, hamburgers and so on. If I had somewhat of a stronger willpower I could probably skip that day as well.

    During the week I try to eat 6 time each day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack). Those snacks are usually fruit, nuts, carrot- or cucumber sticks. I don't eat a lot of red meat, I eat whole-grain products and as much potatoes as I can. Even though they are high on carbs, they are filling and nutritious as hell.

    Things to eat: chicken, fish, potatoes, whole-grain pasta, bulgur wheat, vegetables, fruit, unsalted nuts and use olive oil.

    Avoid: (what I call the "white shelf of death" at my house) excessive amount of flour, sugar, salt, fat and salty snacks.

    Just remember that if you go to the gym you need to eat more as well.
    "He did this to 8 women, and only got shot once??"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RyokuchaMidori View Post
    Thanks for the recipe, they look so good. I currently just boil the lentils, and eat them like that, those recipes will represent a huge upgrade in term of taste. Welcome to lentils heroic mode

    I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea, but if you have craving you can also try to eat a carrot or a fruit, personnaly I love raw carrot (gotta buy the good ones).
    If you want really good tasting vegetarian food, look no further than the southernmost part of the Indian subcontinent. And I'm saying that as a die-hard meat lover who likes his steak bloody-rare.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I find most high protein sources to be more filling than most high carb/fat food.


    Really? I personally have had problems finding any normal "breakfast" food to be very filling. A bowl of oatmeal and 2 boiled eggs is what I've had the most succes with. If I don't feel like having oatmeal I make something eggbased with veggies instead.
    It also depends on how much you eat of them, I guess. What I personally find best about oats is that I don't actually feel "full" after eating them. I can go running and not feel the food bumping around my stomach, it's great.

    Eggs, on the other hand, are nature's gift to humanity. I think that when Moses wrote about mana, he just mistook it for ham and eggs. God bless eggs. Amen.

  17. #17
    I am currently dieting but instead if cutting everything I am just reducing my portions by around 20-30% and combining that with exercise as many times as I can per week (Running/walking roughly 2km as soon as my muscles stop being angry with me). I am still having snacks on the weekend just like I normally would but I am already down 3kg in 2 weeks and I am barely doing anything differently.

    Doesn't feel much like a diet but I am still losing weight.

    EDIT: Oh I also started eating as soon as I get up. I used to skip breakfast as I wasn't hungry but now I am eating every morning and it seems to be working. Gets your body going earlier which in turn burns more.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    It also depends on how much you eat of them, I guess. What I personally find best about oats is that I don't actually feel "full" after eating them. I can go running and not feel the food bumping around my stomach, it's great.

    Eggs, on the other hand, are nature's gift to humanity. I think that when Moses wrote about mana, he just mistook it for ham and eggs. God bless eggs. Amen.
    I'm now having an image in my mind of God pelting the Jews with scrambled eggs during the Exodus, thanks for that
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  19. #19
    i eat very little carbs. my meals are primarily protein, 3 eggs for breakfast, 2 chk breasts for lunch, and steak or roast for dinner. between meals ill have a can on tuna (one) and ill have a couple of handfulls of nuts after dinner. i stay full all day.

  20. #20
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I try to eat somewhat healthy but it seems like unless I eat a meal full of carbs, Im always hungry like 2 hours later even if I feel stuffed after eating. Why are all the good tasting foods that keep you feeling full for a long time full of carbs. Stuff like vegetables, fruits, and nuts make you feel ok for a few hours and they dont even taste good. But eat something that actually tastes good like bread, pasta, potatoes, or dumplings and it not only makes you feel full until the next meal but is also actually pleasing to the pallatte.
    Perhaps try to meet somewhere in the middle? My favorite meal of the day is breakfast - a bowl filled with fruit, kashi, and nonsweetened greek yogurt. It's my largest meal of the day (~850 kCals), but it's insanely filling and holds me over for about 6 hours.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •