Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

They've completely lost it ...

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    What do you think Blizz can do better, if anything, to combat toxic attitudes within the WoW community?
    Interesting Q. We removed the need for friends in order to see content, which is awesome, but we didn't insert anything in place.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...77507831824385

>> We removed the need for friends in order to see content, which is awesome

>> awesome

Anyone else that feels that this philosophy of not needing other people to play an MMO is absolute ... shite?

Disclaimer: I'm literaly aversed against the philosophy that not needing friends (wether they are RL or online friends, made in the game) are not needed to see content. Wether they added the -option- to do it with other people (who are just a bunch of randoms) is beside the point. It just rubs me the wrong way how he said it was 'awesome'. I don't like the whole 'let's turn this mmo into a single player experience'-philosophy. Getting bunched up with a bunch of randomly selected people in a queue does nothing good to the game, nor does it make a game an MMO. If that was the case then SimCity can be called an MMO too.

They removed the social aspect of the game when they removed the need for people to 'get to know' other people and 'make friends' with them.

Do not take this OP out of context by assuming I'm Greg-bashing or am misunderstanding what I quoted. I guarantee you, I didn't.
    Last edited by True Anarch; 2013-05-13 at 10:10 AM.
    "Civilized men and bloody giants."

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    What do you think Blizz can do better, if anything, to combat toxic attitudes within the WoW community?
    Interesting Q. We removed the need for friends in order to see content, which is awesome, but we didn't insert anything in place.

>> awesome

Anyone else that feels that this philosophy of not needing other people to play an MMO is absolute ... shite?
    Did you actually read that quote?

No. You shouldn't need ppl in order to see stuff in a game. You need other "Players". Doesn't have to be friends. Having them makes it more fun, but to have to have them in order to play would be bad. GC wasn't implying that it's a single player game.

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 09:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Did you actually read that quote?
    People see GC say something, and they get too excited and ready to rage that they don't actually comprehend what he said.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    No. You shouldn't need ppl in order to see stuff in a game. You need other "Players". Doesn't have to be friends. Having them makes it more fun, but to have to have them in order to play would be bad. GC wasn't implying that it's a single player game.
    Yeah... you need other 'tools' to see content. /facepalm ... sorry wait /doublefacepalm or tripple if I could...

I'm sorry but this goes against everything an MMO stands for... That he even robustly admits it that you don't need to know anyone to see content in an MMO anymore is probably good for another boatload of people quiting the game after reading that.

I think it defeats the main undercurrent of what makes WoW raiding fun; having other players to socialize with. Any game gets leaps and bounds better when you're playing it with a couple buddies on a voicechat program, but MMOs feel quite unique in that it's a pretty big part of the experience, and trying to chop that out leaves a mechanically sound, but 'soulless' for lack of a better word, experience.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Yeah... you need other 'tools' to see content. /facepalm ... sorry wait /doublefacepalm or tripple if I could...

I'm sorry but this goes against everything an MMO stands for... That he even robustly admits it that you don't need to know anyone to see content in an MMO anymore is probably good for another boatload of people quiting the game after reading that.
    No, he didn't admit to any such thing. I'm one of the 1.3 million who can't be arsed playing at the moment, but I really hate seeing people mangling the english language in this way.
    What GC said was that they removed the need to group with specific in group content by introducing group finder tools but they didn't implement ways for players to value the people that have been found for them in the group finder. So, actually that quote means the opposite of what you claim it does. There are literally a ton of GC comments you can use to prove your point of him "losing it", this isn't one of them.

Ah yes another I saw a blurb from a question and twisted it to support my outrage thread. Several people like being able to play the game and not always needing other ppl in a group to do it. Sure there are great multiplayer features but when you have a short period of time to do something you don't want to spend it rounding up others to do it.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    No, he didn't admit to any such thing. I'm one of the 1.3 million who can't be arsed playing at the moment, but I really hate seeing people mangling the english language in this way.
    What GC said was that they removed the need to group with specific in group content by introducing group finder tools but they didn't implement ways for players to value the people that have been found for them in the group finder. So, actually that quote means the opposite of what you claim it does. There are literally a ton of GC comments you can use to prove your point of him "losing it", this isn't one of them.

Ghostcrawler: "We removed the need for friends in order to see content, which is awesome"
    Anarchor: "That he even robustly admits it that you don't need to know anyone to see content..."
    Madrox: "No, he didn't admit to any such thing."
    Ghostcrawler: "We removed the need for friends in order to see content, which is awesome"

Man why am I even bothering trying to have logical and reasoned conversations on a public forum... Nevermind. You know what? Your stupidity is what made me convinced just now to stop posting on public forums anywhere anymore... Your reply alone in this thread makes everyone that reads it dumber...

[This post was infracted for flaming.]
    Last edited by Rivelle; 2013-05-13 at 11:49 AM.

>> awesome

Like we have told Blizzard a hundred times, what makes WoW, a 2004 game, fun is or was the community until they decimated it by favouring 10 man raiding. Three or four million people having quit so far is mere semantics for them it seems.

What is the point of playing an MMO if you remove the need for friends to see content? Why not play a 2012 single player game instead of an old 2004 MMO that "removed the need for friends in order to see content"? Doesn't this beat the purpose of creating World of Warcraft in the first place? Why not creating Warcraft IV, V, VI, VII, VIII instead?

Μωραίνει Κύριος ὅν βούλεται ἀπωλέσαι
    NINJA TURTLES as the next playable WoW race/class combo. WoW has got Kung Fu Pandas, Pokemon and recently even Transformers in it, so I don't see how Ninja Turtles would be any less pathetic than current "WoW" is.

Anarchor: "That he even robustly admits it that you don't need to know anyone to see content..."

Thank you for proving my point. Yes, he said they removed the "need" to group with specific people ie friends or guildies. This is news to you?

>> awesome

If any effing gaming company thinks, forcing people to do stuff in predetermined groups of 25 people is the way to go, don't do it in endgame only, make it necessary going from level 1 to level 2. Then you will really see how much the market loves enforced grouping. That everquest shit should have died out with everquest.

It is awesome, because a large portion of players do not have friends available to play with at all times.

Way to misinterpret GC there.
    I offend people. And no, I'm not talking about you.

>> awesome

Lol. Just WoW. And to think this is the same company that did Vanilla & TBC.

The fact that their LEAD DESIGNER is saying that let's me know that perma-closing my account was the absolute correct decision.

and this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    What is the point of playing an MMO if you remove the need for friends to see content? Why not play a 2012 single player game instead of an old 2004 MMO that "removed the need for friends in order to see content"? Doesn't this beat the purpose of creating World of Warcraft in the first place? Why not creating Warcraft IV, V, VI, VII, VIII instead?
    Anyone arguing this point has absolutely no business playing an MMO and should return to xbox live immediately. MMO are *meant* to be played in groups.
    Last edited by spectrefax; 2013-05-13 at 09:40 AM.

I think the need to have friends to experience content was a bad design, so I agree with what he said, but what he should've said was:

"We removed the need for friends in order to see content, but we needed to input a method of making new friends instead, while experiencing the content"

I love how they think CRZ "fixed" the world PvP "problem." Yeah sure if all you want to do is gank people without risk because you will never, ever see them or their mains again. Much as I loathed being ganked it was hilarious to then get on my main and completely own the max level character who was too bad to fight their own level - I remember killing 80 DKs at Honor Hold with my HOLY priest smiting then to death with no help. I'm sure if you try to do that now you will probably end up in another phase and never get your revenge....

LFD was awesome for leveling content, because you never could find 4 other Alliance players willing to go out to Scarlet Monastery or Maraudon or other unpopular leveling dungeon, but I hate what it did to max level.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    Lol. Just WoW. And to think this is the same company that did Vanilla & TBC.

The fact that their LEAD DESIGNER is saying that let's me know that perma-closing my account was the absolute correct decision.
    Go solo Throne of Thunder. In fact. take Anarchor with you, we will all still include you as one person, Let us know how far you got without "needing other people", then come back and actually read the comment. The comment was a tacit admission that group finder tools came at the expense of community, not a Lead Designer totally missing the point of the need for some sort of community in a MMO. But I'm out of this thread, it's doing my head in how people can misread one simple sentence.

Friends aren't needed, but you can still play with them. I don't see the problem since some people don't always have friends online to play with. Say if they work a night shift then they can play late into the night when no one is normally on.

Man why am I even bothering trying to have logical and reasoned conversations on a public forum... Nevermind. You know what? Your stupidity is what made me convinced just now to stop posting on public forums anywhere anymore... Your reply alone in this thread makes everyone that reads it dumber...
    No. That's not what he was saying...at all. He meant something entirely different: what madrox said. You're trying too hard to hate GC. As if I needed any more evidence that you're being silly, you post a facepalm image. Facepalm, indeed...

What if you don't have any friends in game? I think it's good if you are playing by yourself or none of your friends are available to do it with you.

Then, for all people who haven't been plagued by having nostalgia glasses melt into their head and losing the capability of using logic, I thank for refraining to post on public forums from now on. Your sacrifice is one that will reverberate through the ages; an act that will save millio-- trillions of poor unfortunate brain-cells.

Really though, if that's how you handle a discussion, with some 4chan greentexting and facepalm pics, maybe it is indeed for the best that you stay away from public discussion.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.