Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why and When you have started making gold?

I've been reposting my auctions today and i realised that my goal to get Traveler's Mammoth in wotlk was achieved long time ago, but even after i've reached that goal i've kept making gold and playing AH ( you could say i got AH bug :P ). So i was interested what was your " Traveler's Mammoth" and when did you started making gold?

B.E.R.T.H.A. yells: AFFIRMATIVE, CUPCAKE!

I've always prided myself in having enough gold to easily cover all my progression raiding needs. So it usually depends if some new patterns are coming out and I need to save up for mats, or for enchants/gems/flasks/pots etc etc. I am finding myself trying to make a lot more money this xpac than any previous ones though due to the amount of craftable gear and more importantly BMAH heroic gear >.<.

I don't always win the bids, because I am not super rich, but it is making me pay more attention to money making/AH playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    I started in Cata and did Quests, Dailies, Dungeon Runs and with which I scrambled for Gold. It was a low populated server and I had to sell Valor Points Bind on Equip Items in Order to afford basic Stuff like Glyphs or Enchants or maximum Flyling Speed. This is where I needed Gold the most but did not have it.

The sad thing is that I became filthy rich after already having accumulated lots of Gold because a a big of it is earned through investments, like for Example Mounts crafting or reselling Tradingcard/Shadowmourne Items alllowed me to throw in about 3 Million Golds permanently and now every other day I earn some hundred or some thousands Gold, which over the years amounts to something like 5 Million Golds profit.

If a normal player needs 5min for a daily Quest, he will have to do Dailies for 21 full Days to afford the new Grand Expedition Yak.
    If I wanted to buy (another) Grand Expedition Yak, then I just restock the AH with Tradingcard Game Mounts for some Weeks or Months, which essentially takes just some seconds of Effort every two Days.

OT: My "Traveller's Thundra Mammoth" was the Corrupted Hippogryph. There were no Chinadupers around to make the prize low and I had to lots of boring stuff including grinding for Months until I could pay so filthy much that someone was willing to make a Char on my Server, sell it to me, then buy a BLizzstore[tm] Guild transfer back to his own Server.

Strangely enough I am way more conservative with my Gold nwo than before. I would buy a new crafted Chest for 30k, all my Gold from two Months, then run nonstop Dungeons until I also could afford Gems and Enchants for it in the past but in the present I wouldn't buy this new crafted boots for 55k even though I possibly wouldn't even feel the difference of my before/after Gold possessions.
    the conservative part is funny and true, i find goblins(people with a lot of gold) either have no problem spending gold at a whim, or are very conservative. im on the conservative part with gear and no problem part with friends lol, i have about 1.3mil liquid and have been grinding/grinding LFR because i cant get myself to spend gold on crafted gear lol, ive been debating buying the plate boots for about a month now haha, but when friends say theyre running low on gold or want something nice, i immediatly open trade and give them like 10k lol

OT: My "travelers tundra mount" was more gold haha, i remember when i started playing(mid-late wotlk) my friend gave me 100g, and after doing quests that gave u like 25silver while leveling(i got the gold at like lvl 20 lol) i thought i was a baller. my first gold making scheme was finally getting the mats to make crafted wrists as a bs(i got all 3 patterns from icc drops, not buying them) i sold one then realized, hmm i can just make sure the mats are in ah, post all 3 wrists from my bs page, without even having the mats for one, and whoever wanted one i could just go buy mats and sell it like i already had it and make 1k gold!(brilliant i thought then lol, i was on a small-med pop server so no real goblins who already had this kind of stuff figured out) oh the grind we do before we are refined goblins, spam spam spam for hours to make 1k at first, fast foward to last week when i flipped a mount for 195k profit lol
    Last edited by Sluggo; 2013-05-07 at 11:42 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you intend focusing only on making golds then the vanilla swift mount probably, but after some day i realized the next patch they were going to raise the training cost and lower the mount cost, so i bought the trin before the patch, and the mounts after so i saved 500g :P

but i started making serious gold for my Spectral Tiger (bought it for 430k in Cata) and never stopped after that, i use everything over 1M (because being millionaire is cool) to buy new TCG mounts whenever they pop on BMAH (i buy the BoE version i usually flip them)

10+ Year Old Account
    I started making gold because I had to take a break when I moved to a new country. I left the game after clearing Ulduar right when TOC was coming out. I came back and all of my gear was officially trash. So I thought I need a new weapon! I heard about the battered hilt. It would give you like a 251ilvl weapon and an achievement. I was totally down. But they went for like 11k gold! On my best day the most I'd ever had was 2k. But, I needed a weapon if any raiding guild was going to take me seriously as an applicant. So I started mining my ass off. Got to 15k, and the day I went to buy it I got invited to an ICC 25 run with a friend's guild. And got the 264 axe from Marrowgar.

I liked making gold so I started reading this forum about better ways to do it. And now a days I'm not particularly rich but I'm coming up on 400k.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

During Wrath i got tired of mining with 150% flier, there were those level 80 epic helms (Titansteel ones) mats for crafting one cost roughly 500 gold, selling price was about 300-350% of the mat price, in one week i had an epic flier for every character and i just caught on from that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting more gold is a default state for me. From the very moment I started playing this game (and before in other games too) I just tried to be smart about spending my gold, and sell anything that is worth selling, and make a point to spend some time on things that are especially lucrative.

I returned after a long absence and rerolled on a new server with no gold or characters, and when I was around level 20-ish I found some crabs that had a really good droprate of some cooking ingredient. That stuff was going for about 1,5g a piece according to my auction addon. So instead of going on with questing I spent more then an hour just farming crabs. My brother in law was incredulous and was like you're wasting time and laughed at me, right about up to the point I told him I sold what I'd farmed for a couple of hundred gold. That was the start of my fortune, basically.

I've always just kept doing stuff like that, first simply looking at what sells and then farming that while doing other things, and once I got a toon to max level I started using my professions, mainly by making bags and selling them. So first I farmed for stuff, then I started crafting stuff, and finally after a few months in Cata I took the next step by starting to invest in myself so I could make more gold. I first dropped skinning and took up enchanting on my main. I spent a good deal of my gold on that + buying all the high level recipes. Then I spent even more gold to get materials to start selling all the high level enchants.

I'd allready heard about shuffeling ore, so my next project was leveling a JC. Once I got a JC I could shuffle, and I started making serious gold, and I took the next step, which was investing in large amounts of materials for my shuffeling + trying to partially influence and control the enchanting market, so there was less variance of prices.

After that I had so much gold I could simply buy anything I felt like and not be worried about having enough gold for my enterprises. So that's when I started flipping expensive items, mainly pets.

So I went from farming, to crafting, to investing, to large scale operations, to using excess gold to make even more gold. I think this is the natural progression for most goblins, or people that are looking to get rich.

As for a reason to make gold, I never really had any, as I said it's more like a default state. I did however start setting myself goals to reach, 250k, 500k, 1 Million. But I only started doing that once I was allready mass producing enchants and making steady gold, and had about 80k liquid gold that I wasn't using. Only when I reached that state where I had gold sitting around doing nothing was it that I set myself a goal to reach.

Actually ive had "high points" in cata of 60k but in mop it all started with bracers from HOF i got 16k for then i got the AH bug, ive been making tons of G since then. Around 200k i felt pretty good.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

I made gold in 4.3 when I wanted to buy 2 person Archeology mount and I made gold few months back when I wanted to buy Jeweled Panther.

Normally, I only keep enough gold to gem, enchant and reforge.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestamgpwn View Post
    I've been reposting my auctions today and i realised that my goal to get Traveler's Mammoth in wotlk was achieved long time ago, but even after i've reached that goal i've kept making gold and playing AH ( you could say i got AH bug :P ). So i was interested what was your " Traveler's Mammoth" and when did you started making gold?
    My "Traveler's Mammoth" was the Battered Hilt. Well I don't think I even ended up paying gold for it in the end. I traded a couple of BoE epics during Cataclysm for it then.

But most of the mounts that I wanted could never be bought, they were either rare drops. And I did manage to get those drops without even farming for them. I don't really think I've actually ever spent big. My biggest investment was probably a chopper. That was another one of the things that I wanted. Also the Shoulders from BoT, with the blue skulls on either side. This was before transmorg and I don't even play the damn toon again. Been on the look out for those shoulders since. Have not seen it.

The best way I end up making my gold is by being as self-sufficient as possible, and only buy stuff from the AH if I need it immediately or if I want to try to resell it for a profit (which I very rarely do, my auctions seem to never sell). I've got 7 90s currently, with at least one of each profession maxed among them so if I need flasks/gems/enchants for a raid I can easily take a few minutes to farm up the mats and make it myself. I also spend very little time sitting in a city waiting for queues, I spend my LFR queue time doing something, my gatherers mine/herb whatever they can and non-gatherers farm mobs with Potions of Luck for extra loot (and Skyshards if you're in the Vale, I've almost got the mount). Since I rarely spend any money it builds up naturally from doing dailies/heroics, and it tends to build up pretty fast.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

My guild had switched to SwtoR for a short while when it was first released. Everyone was broke but I found through crafting a niche market and made about 15million credits early on - so I was like the 1% of SwtoR economy. When we switched back to WoW, I had about 4000g to my name and my friends were laughing at me for finally being 'broke like them.'

This pissed me off so I started playing the AH and am now sitting at 500k (after buying everything I wanted.) They hate me.

first time i actually started making gold as a goal was in tbc on an unhittable paladin - boosting heroics raids etc

Deleted
    Always had a decent amount go gold(enough to keep enchants/gems/flask/pots for raids). But when Cata got released I managed to make around 15k just the 1st week by selling enchanting mats and that was enough to keep me to make gold. My 1st target was to buy mechano hog and travler's mammoth. After that I wanted to try and get 100k. Had 100k just when Fireland was released.

I kept putting my goals higher and higher and managed to buy a x-51 nether-rocket x-treme and still had around 150k left when MoP got released. Ever since MoP got released I have been camping the AH almost eveyday and I have currently 1,2mill gold and 7 TCG mounts I think. Made a total of 6mill since mop came out. I just can't stop camping the AH [COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by mmocbd5e28e0a7; 2013-05-09 at 03:56 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My "Travelers Mammoth" moment was back in TBC. I always liked the look of the Netherdrakes and there wasn't a lot of people who had one at the time due to the fact that you couldn't start the dailies unless you had epic flying, which was 5000g. This was a lot of money.

I started doing all of the quests that I could and selling all of the greens and blues that I gathered in the process. There was an enchanter on our server who purchased all of my items (because I priced them a little lower than anyone else) and I think I helped make him a very rich player. Eventually I had enough gold to get epic flying and start on the Netherwing dailies. This is where my obsession with dailies started and still continues to this day. They have far and away been the source of the majority of my gold.

I am trying to get in on the AH action and am making small inroads, but I am on a very large server and the competition is cut-throat.

I used to be rubbish with gold and especially keeping it. However in Cata I started doing the ore-shuffle casually just to keep me afloat and by MoPs beginning I had gotten my stash up to about 45k (which was a big feat for me!)
    As MoP hit I tried to get the shuffle going again but my servers gemmarket was complete garbage so I had to find another source of income. Enter, Darkmoon Cards

I quickly found out that 1 scribe wasn't enough so I leveled a second one to skill 600 (in hindsight I should've leveled 3-4 of them!) and I'm now sitting at 550k gold.

I usually spend cash on gear for my alts and then sell a couple of decks to get the money back. I've stopped playing the deck market though, I don't really feel like I'm in need of more cash atm so I'm just leveling/gearing alts instead. Also pondering on whether I should buy the Yak or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    AFAIK there were no heroik raids in tbc?
    He probably meant heroic 5 mans, where geared paladin tanks were second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    He probably meant heroic 5 mans, where geared paladin tanks were second to none.
    Aw yeah, Heroic Shattered Halls anyone? I remember no one would go near that without a pally tank. That hall was a nightmare.

Anyways, my 'I need serious gold' moment was in the beginning of BC. I had played as a holly pally since vanilla, but was in a small guild and never really raided seriously. We used to team up with a few other guilds to do a little MC, but I only killed rags a half a dozen times before BC. When BC came out, we hopped servers and tried to make a real push to be 'serious' about 25 man raiding. These were the days you could still chain drink potions during combat and I remember working on Gruul Lair's and just blowing through stacks of them. I was already a herb/alchy but that was when I got serious about farming. I think I finished up the end of BC with about 20k in the bank, mainly through transmutes and farming/making alchy stuff.

When wrath came out, I switched mains, dropped the alchy, and took up mining to go with the herbing on my now alt, so I had a dual gatherer at the start of every expac, when raw materials are really costly. I also turned another alt into scribe/JC. All through WotLK and Cata, I just worked this mainly, farming my own mats and cutting gems and making scrolls. Towards the end of the expansions, when mats started getting really cheap, I'd shelve the gatherer and just buy mats. I haven't played since before Mists, but I think I was around 325k when I stopped playing.

My main was tailor/enchanting. Never did figure out how to make good money consistently with those.... I thought the glyph market was cutthroat, but I had no idea what that word meant until I dabbled in enchanting scrolls.

It's not technically a profession, but farming Mogu Pumpkins have made me loaded. They cost next to nothing, and the profit you reap is just ridiculous. Same for Juicy Crunch Carrots

The farm.

For some reason, logging on each of my three 90s to do the farm (usually for herbs but recently the tailor is doing cloth/motes for imperial silk for bags) is more compelling to me than flying around actually herbing.

I accumulated enough herbs that I started selling them, and have made maybe 50k just off the herb produce from the farm. That doesn't count the big chunk of time I spent doing ore after 5.2 and the change to providing trillium, or the time I was actively farming edibles for leveling cooking.

With golden lotus at 65-75g, a full plot of enigma seeds on each 90 ends up netting about 1200g/day in lotus alone.