Thread: Game Dev Tycoon

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Game Dev Tycoon

Has anyone played the game yet?
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Deleted
    I sure did, lots and lots of it, its awesome.

But actually I find it quite a challenge, a pretty hard one because you always compete vs your best games score.

Totally worth the 6 dollars or what exactly it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah its pretty fun, but i hate the critics!

gets pretty hard though :P i got my company up to 6million, so i hired a second employee, and he kept demanding pay rises! started off on 25k, then he wanted 38k then up to like 50k so i had to fire him, i was losing so much money. i went to about -120k because of a few failed games, managed to get my company back to 3m+

what i found works really well, if you need some quick money and don't have a good engine to use or anything, create sequals for really old games. every game i was releasing they were saying "needs better technology" "better graphics are needed" and stuff, but when i made a sequel for an old game they were "wow, amazing! "so much better graphics than original!"
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Yup, played it quite a bit.. keep going bankrupt after I get my offices and a few employees though, I seem to be bad at developing games (and no, I'm not going bankrupt due to piracy... just low scores :P)

I played it for a bit. Failed hard with my first compny, but it was a lot of fun. Definitely worth the money.

Deleted
    It's a fun game but like Shamanic, I keep going bankrupt after I go to the first office and hire one or more employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heres what im worth after 4 days of playing!

I have 6 Sucessful MMOs and over 50 Number 1 games to thank for my freaking worth!

10+ Year Old Account
    there needs to be an option to move out of the big office
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    there needs to be an option to move out of the big office
    Im hoping in their next patch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    Im hoping in their next patch

ah cool, because im currently just one person in this massive office, costing me a lot on upkeep.

also, looks like your games going well :P my mosdt sucessful so far is just keeping at around 3million with one employee :\ each time a game releases i nearly go bankrupt then the sales of that put me back up. i dont have time to do research or make a new engine so all my games really suck :P
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    ah cool, because im currently just one person in this massive office, costing me a lot on upkeep.

also, looks like your games going well :P my mosdt sucessful so far is just keeping at around 3million with one employee :\ each time a game releases i nearly go bankrupt then the sales of that put me back up. i dont have time to do research or make a new engine so all my games really suck :P
    Its been and up and down battle.

Day 1 i played i went bankrupted after the 5th year, so i tried again and learned to balnce things.

I got lucky with solo dev made 10 #1 games that ranked in money.

When i got that office and learned MMOs i developed a parody to WoW called World of Mightcraft, and dev 4 Xpacs whiched ranked in about 100 million, but it started costing me about 20m a month in Maintence, so i dev'd a few more and made more solo games and Contract games

Im making past game sequels atm :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Just played the demo, you can only go to level 3 and year 4. All but my last game averaged 6-8 in ratings, only went negative once, and that was just -5k as i was releasing a game...

Then I made the last game, maxing everything out, as the previous one had netted me 300k in sales... so i risked it and made a game for the handheld... went from 30k in the bank, to 3.9Mil almost instantly... felt like I put a cheat code in or something. Definitely going to buy it next payday (I'm broke =/)

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a ripoff of Game Dev Story from Kairosoft?

Deleted
    Its really fun yes!
    But im hovering around 5-7M and im going +-0 on making new games
    Any tips?
    im gonna try that thing with making sequals to my really old games

10+ Year Old Account
    I did and I love it. I also find it hilariously funny that my first major hit, Doom, sold $2.4m and bought me the new office just months after I opened but the sequel tanked with like 13k copies sold

You have to, no matter what. Take contracts to shore up some money for a bit for research

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Is this a ripoff of Game Dev Story from Kairosoft?
    Yes. I loved that game, too. This however is far more in-depth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elmachino View Post
    Its really fun yes!
    But im hovering around 5-7M and im going +-0 on making new games
    Any tips?
    im gonna try that thing with making sequals to my really old games
    Balancing works, Try remaking old games as well, they really bring in the money

Dont put your dev in one section, branch it and balnce it, varation works and can get you from a crappy under 5 to a perfect 10 or near 10

---------- Post added 2013-05-14 at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I did and I love it. I also find it hilariously funny that my first major hit, Doom, sold $2.4m and bought me the new office just months after I opened but the sequel tanked with like 13k copies sold
    did you get the Egg for that?

Deleted
    Balancing works, Try remaking old games as well, they really bring in the money

Dont put your dev in one section, branch it and balnce it, varation works and can get you from a crappy under 5 to a perfect 10 or near 10
    Yeah im trying to blance it as good as i can. And the games i make average around 7-8

10+ Year Old Account
    did you get the Egg for that?
    No - what do I need to do to get it?

You'd think my 14 years experience in the software industry would make me an overnight success in this game

Just bought it last night, after watching a few videos of it online, and I love making the right market moves, knowing that certain consoles were going to crash or grow.

I had a lot of early success, but now I am in the large office, and I'm making profit much slower. I'm trying to get into the MMO Market, but I fear I may have expanded a little too fast, and with no option to downsize, I fear I may have ruined my save game.

I'm usually around 13M -> 19M but I'm struggling to get a vast amount of profit, purely because i'm struggling to get Research Points. I'd like to really push into the MMO Market, get some trickle income so I can focus on larger blockbuster games, but I'm finding it a little hard.

Either way, this game is very fun. I don't think it has days worth of replay value, but for £6.00, it is definitely a bargain!

Heres what im worth after 4 days of playing!

I have 6 Sucessful MMOs and over 50 Number 1 games to thank for my freaking worth!
    Oh nice, you have cheated money. Great.