Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Speaking as someone who knows metric inside and out (and does, indeed, prefer it to the point of having to do conversions in my head when someone tells me someplace is "x miles away") I don't really care what people use.

Yeah it gets annoying when I ask how hot it is outside and someone says "80 degrees" and I think "what the fuck did the sun just explode?" but it's really harmless. Unless you're building a billion dollar spacecraft. Then it's pretty important to be on the same wavelength.
    Yes, as was found out with a certain project.

It's simply for rationality's sake. That and you don't have to waste money converting between units when importing and exporting goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Tesla however recieved subsidised government loans which makes their competition "unfair".
    And the big American auto makers recieved massive bailout funds. I think that evens things out on that mark.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    And the big American auto makers recieved massive bailout funds. I think that evens things out on that mark.
    Yeah but that gave them an unfair advantage too, so both sides have the unfair advantage. Am I free marketing yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    North Carolina, didn't they try to endorse a state religion? Yep!

If the car companies open dealerships. Jobs will be lost. Since, the jobs won't be replaced and gained elsewhere. It is a net loss for job market. So, do not care it is free market or not.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    If the car companies open dealerships. Jobs will be lost. Since, the jobs won't be replaced and gained elsewhere. It is a net loss for job market. So, do not care it is free market or not.
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but how are jobs lost? Let's say car companies follow Tesla's example and open their own dealerships. They will need to hire people to staff those dealerships. Wouldn't that counter it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    I was expecting to see some groundbreaking modern day reincarnation of one of Nikola Tesla's inventions. I am even more disappointed.
    I thought they were banning telsa works/banning people from teaching about him, I would be surprised if they even have the name tesla in their textbooks though...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    No, but the Tesla Coil is named after Nikola Tesla, the 19th century quack inventor who invented Alternating Current electricity, and envisioned giant Tesla coils raining down bolts of lighting into peoples houses to power their magical thought reading machines.

So I think of terribad mustaches and coast-to-coast AM listeners who think that Tesla was a magical alien inventor when I hear the word "Tesla"
    He also invented most of the patents used for wireless technology. For a qauck his inventions work better and have bettered more of the world than most other inventors of the time. And he didn't envision tesla coils sending electricity to people through bolts of lighting. It was the idea of passing electricity wirelessly or through the ground. He was able to do things that are just now being done again. Again the wireless tech we use now starts with his patents.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes, as was found out with a certain project.

It's simply for rationality's sake. That and you don't have to waste money converting between units when importing and exporting goods.
    I don't see how the money is wasted since the conversion is done right on the containers.

Besides that, don't most importers/exporters deal in metric anyway? I know for a fact 90% of engineering and precision fabrication is done in metric.

10+ Year Old Account
    And to think I live in NC... I've seen much crazier shit happen than this.

Everyone hates us.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-05-15 at 03:36 AM.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I looked at this thread thinking "Why would they try to ban an 80s rock band?" and I was disappointed.
    I thought it was about banning Nikola Tesla, which to me made no sense. However this doesn't make much sense either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    He also invented most of the patents used for wireless technology. For a qauck his inventions work better and have bettered more of the world than most other inventors of the time. And he didn't envision tesla coils sending electricity to people through bolts of lighting. It was the idea of passing electricity wirelessly or through the ground. He was able to do things that are just now being done again. Again the wireless tech we use now starts with his patents.
    Citation needed.

Just because it's competition, doesn't mean it's unfair.

That's the point of the free economy. If a competitor comes in and does better than you, you die off or improve your product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Citation needed.
    For which bit?

US Patents 613809, 645576, 649621, 685953, 685954, 685955, 685956, 685957, 685958, 723188, 725605, and 787412 are relevant to a greater or lesser degree to radio.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters