Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Old unused structure destroyed to create a road which would improve peoples lives.

if it was being used for anything then yes people would have a right to be upset, but it wasn't being used, it was in the middle of a sugar field, and in such a state that anyone not knowing any better would think it was a hill. if you want these thousand year old structures to remain untouched, then look after them.

It was an old unused huge chunk of space. Yeah it's kinda cool to look at but it serves zero purpose. It wasn't kept in good shape, hell it barely looked like a structure. I'd much prefer a road. As the guy above me said if it were used and treated right, I'd view this differently. This situation though it was a waste of space.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Roads are more important then old buildings. Practicality trumps Sentimentality.
    common sense trumps idiotic parroting.

if you can create without destruction do so, there was no need to destroy it to make a fucking road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    We no longer need a stone pyramid for human sacrifices. But we do need stone for road beds. Taking it from the pyramid is not only cheaper but has less environmental impact than quarrying new stuff.

Win-win situation.

Maintaining historical buildings is only worthwhile as long as they can still be used for something practical. Otherwise you might as well just deem every building historical and watch the landscape get flooded with obsolete constructs
    Inspiring someone to take up a profession in archeology that may one day lead to a major discovery? (Hypothetically) that chance now lost, I would of called that practical,

This shouldn't of happened, end of

Edit

Additionally, old structures such as this is what draw tourists into an area, which generates more income for that area theres another practical use

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Inspiring someone to take up a profession in archeology that may one day lead to a major discovery? (Hypothetically) that chance now lost, I would of called that practical,

Edit

Additionally, old structures such as this is what draw tourists into an area, which generates more income for that area theres another practical use
    if i've learned one thing from mass effect, its that eventually we will be invaded by a superior alien force, and the only hope for humanity is hidden in ancient ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post

if you can create without destruction do so, there was no need to destroy it to make a fucking road.
    There absolutely was a need to destroy it, they needed gravel for the road. The best place to get gravel is an old pyramid, everyone knows that.

That's awful, quite sad the state of greed now a days.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    No, we don't need roads, but oil companies are preventing any other technologies that doesn't use oil for fuel from ever coming to be, so it makes it look like we do need roads.
    You need to explain this one to me. We have used roads for transportation long before cars existed, and we still very much need roads. What technologies are the oil companies preventing that would invalidate the need of roads? Are they suppressing teleporter technology somewhere that I have not heard about?
    Last edited by Altrec; 2013-05-14 at 08:21 PM.

it's not like pyramid gravel is better then regular gravel. I mean really its like "well I need stone... STONEHENGE IS MADE OF STONE! I'm sure nobody will mind it doesn't do anything anyway"
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Deleted
    Really sad to watch. You can always build a road but not a mayan pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Are you going to pay what is needed so that the road takes an alternative route? Belize may not have the luxury of preserving its antiquities.
    it wasn't destroyed for location it was destroyed for materials
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

15+ Year Old Account
    They could have built the road and left the temple intact. When they intended to create the Aswan High Dam they just relocated the Abu Simbel temple to somewhere else and that was in the early 60s. It's just laziness indeed.

PS: even if it was just used for materials it's possible to rebuild replicas. Of course this require some long-term planning and donors from outside. But that's been done as well.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-05-14 at 09:16 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

The way i see it they didn't think the pyramids would make it to 2013 anyway since the world was supposed to end so it really doesn't matter :P. Also the guy who said we dont need roads since the oil company's are preventing new fuel sources what does that have to do with needing roads or not? No reason to think that finding a new fuel source would mean cars now magically fly geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

Edit

Or you could build a road. And what major discovery might an archaeologist make that would have benefits here and now? Without spinning off onto some unfounded ancient aliens "LOLZ THE PYRAMIDS WERE SPACE SHIPS" crap?

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't destroy History, specially history that materialized into a structure like a pyramid.

If you think it serves no purpose, that it's just a meaningless building, then i assume you don't know anything of material cultural heritage and why it's important to safeguard it.

If it was in a bad state, then that simply reflects the lack of attention or complete disregard that local government agencies show towards historical heritage that it's supposed to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    You don't destroy History, specially history that materialized into a structure like a pyramid.

If you think it serves no purpose, that it's just a meaningless building, then i assume you don't know anything of material cultural heritage and why it's important to safeguard it.

If it was in a bad state, then that simply reflects the lack of attention or complete disregard that local government agencies show towards historical heritage that it's supposed to look out for.
    When you find a way to transport food and supplies using a 2300 year old Mayan Pyramid then I'll side with you.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post

It's more environmentally friendly to reuse building materials than it is to quarry new ones. Recycling > not recycling.

If you want to halt the recycling process every time somebody throws out an arbitrary declaration of "historical significance" then have fun watching the planet die.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-05-14 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you find a way to transport food and supplies using a 2300 year old Mayan Pyramid then I'll side with you.
    Really? This is your argument?

Im not saying the road shouldn't be built. Im saying the place where they acquired the materials for it is wrong.

First, the article, as far as i can tell, didn't mention anything related to the course the road will take, or the locations it's supposed to be connecting.

Second: it mentions the pyramid was located inside private property. It goes even further by saying that any monument that is pre hispanic is under direct government protection. Now, this can mean a few things: the company won the deal and was supposed to build the road as they saw fit. They did so and when they reached this point, they thought it would be a good idea to bring this down for construction purposes.
    It can also mean that the fact the company ignored it was a monument means the government approved - although "under the table" - of it's removal so the road could be built, which is funny, since being a country that is described having a fragile economy and partially based on tourism, which also probably bases itself on the fact that the Mayan civilization spread through this region.

But i suppose that's the eternal conflict and challenge that archaeologists have to deal with: the ever growing urban necessities agaisnt heritage preservation.

This why heritage salvage archaeology exists, so that when there's constructions projects, archaeologists address the site, study it, and decide what's most important and what can be moved therefore salvaged. But this in cases where some bulldozer makes a hole in the ground and it finds something, not where there's a freakin pyramid in plain site.

As i said, either the construction company did things their own way or it was government sanctioned, which only makes it far worse. But alas, archaeologists are used to this, since local agencies tend to avoid hiring them as they see them as nothing more than an extra expense and an obstacle to the project's progression

Deleted
    This world is too Selfish and can´t wait wit until the day Human kind kill it self..

---------- Post added 2013-05-14 at 11:36 PM ----------

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how can it be a on Private Property when it was made a million years ago ?? Trololololololol like i said the worlc is too Selfish and full of soooooooo much BS stuff, like this lololololololololololol was made million years ago and suddenly are on private property...yeah f ing right..get real..

---------- Post added 2013-05-14 at 11:38 PM ----------

No wonder why i´m jelous of the Archeology out there..compared to other ppl..

15+ Year Old Account

EDIT:

It's more environmentally friendly to reuse building materials than it is to quarry new ones. Recycling > not recycling.

If you want to halt the recycling process every time somebody throws out an arbitrary declaration of "historical significance" then have fun watching the planet die.
    Historical significance depends on the cultural value as a whole. Of course how every country fares with its own cultural heritage is their own matter but a lot of the old cultures like the Maya haven't been fully understood yet and sometimes you find keys to unlock some secrets in the most odd places. If these key places are getting 'accidentally' destroyed then it's getting harder and harder to the point where it's impossible to continue research.

I think if they had arranged some deal to keep it while getting material from elsewhere it could have been avoided. The most weird things have been done to save old, restore or re-erect old places when they had to make room for new buildings or sites. Now of course it is theoretically more environment-friendly to recycle but considering we are talking about a road here I think environment as a whole will be worse off. It's the tranquility of an ancient place traded with traffic emissions of a new place.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Payback for 2012 XD