Deleted

Fluctuating levels of Fitness

Hey guys

I'm no stranger to exercise and working out but theres something I really don't understand as of late and I was wondering if I could get some insight.

I've been doing HIIT for over 6 months now with fantastic results. I usually do about 3 - 4 sessions a week. I would do more, but sometimes I'm just too tired from night shifts. I work 4 days on, 3 days off.

This is my regular eating pattern on training days.

Breakfast

2 slices of brown toast with natural fruit spread
    a bowl of quaker oats porridge with half a teaspoon of honey.

Lunch

Omelette (2 eggs and a egg white) with one slice of deli ham and onions.

Afternoon Snack

Whey Protein Shake with Oats

Dinner

Different every day but most of it consists of Veggies and lean meat.

Dessert

Apple and a Cup of Tea with one sugar.

I'm finding one day I smash a workout. Completely knackered by the end of it from working hard.

The next day, again is a good workout.

Then I usually have a day of rest.

Now when I come back to it, I sometimes struggle to get through a warm up. It's extremely irritating. I eat healthy, I sleep at least 7 hours a day but for some reason my fitness levels fluctuate too much. However my general fitness is improving but I feel it could be even better if I didn't have these fluctuations.

Any particular reasons you think? I know it's not much to go on, but I thought I would try anyway.
    Cheers

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you say you do 3-4 sessions a week, do you mean 3-4 sessions of HIIT? Because if so that's quite a lot. I'd cut it back to more like 2 and do something else on the other days. Resistance training would be my choice for example - circuits, weight training, something like that. Or steady-state (but still moderately high intensity) cardio for up to 30 minutes, if cardio is what you're going for. At a glance, I'd think doing so much HIIT every week could be what's wearing you down.

If you meant 3-4 sessions of exercise in general, and you're mixing a couple of HIIT session with other stuff, then ignore the above. Working nights could be the culprit!

No matter what sorts of workouts you're doing, some days are strong days, and some days just aren't. I've tried to connect the dots, and there's patterns that emerge as far as diet and rest, but it's still not uniform for me. Some days, you get out to run/bike, and just think, "holy shit, I'm fast!". Other days... not there at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No matter what sorts of workouts you're doing, some days are strong days, and some days just aren't. I've tried to connect the dots, and there's patterns that emerge as far as diet and rest, but it's still not uniform for me. Some days, you get out to run/bike, and just think, "holy shit, I'm fast!". Other days... not there at all.
    I would love to know the science behind this.

Just doesn't make sense to me. My muscles feel fine, I'm not tired and I have the energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Weird how that works. There are days I go for my run after work and when I am done, I feel like I could go straight out and do it again. Other days I barely get through the one lol I am very habitual when it comes to my day, so I always eat and work out at the same times every day, yet there are some days I just can't get the engine running as well as others. It may be that's where psychological factors come in, a stressful day at work can potentially cause physical distress when it comes time to work out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Weird how that works. There are days I go for my run after work and when I am done, I feel like I could go straight out and do it again. Other days I barely get through the one lol I am very habitual when it comes to my day, so I always eat and work out at the same times every day, yet there are some days I just can't get the engine running as well as others. It may be that's where psychological factors come in, a stressful day at work can potentially cause physical distress when it comes time to work out.
    Never thought to think of the psychology behind it. I do find my job very stressful at times and could be a factor. I guess the best thing to do is just to relax and get into the right mental state before a workout.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjian View Post
    Never thought to think of the psychology behind it. I do find my job very stressful at times and could be a factor. I guess the best thing to do is just to relax and get into the right mental state before a workout.

Cheers
    I actually like stress at times since stress makes me angry and anger lets me push harder in the gym, But that's just me.