Living on a frost mage

Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble on my mage. I've tried a bunch of different things spec wise. I've tried evocate glyph, flameglow, and frost barrier. I've watch Venruki and Mitchjones(watchmeblink) stream and haven't really noticed them doing anything different than me. I'm already using blazing speed to make it easier to get away from people but it doesn't really seem to be helping me that much. I can live for a little bit but it seems as though I'm just having to block earlier and hope they don't get back on me. I know my gear is behind, but my damage is good when I can actually stay alive (rarely).

I'm a 2200 shadow priest in arena, so maybe I'm just used to having the off heals/void shift to stay alive. Idk.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...liffz/advanced

Thanks for the help. I feel like its something basic I'm missing. Maybe I need to gem more resil? Idk. I'm playing 2s with a rogue if your wondering what comp. He peals for me but we literally lose every game because I just fall over it anything touches me. I lose massive gaps of my hp at time. I've never seen a mage as squishy as mine. Maybe it's just because I'm used to playing 3s and they have a healer with flameflow

lol in your gear id be going full resil for sure~ 2's is nonsense so im not gonna comment on that~

Your gear is extremely average.. I suggest just gemming full resil.
    Anything but mage/healer will see you being made quick work of you without it.

You should look into the glyph of armors, for extra 10% damage reduction. Also know that spell power effects how well your spell shields absorb, meaning popping a pvp burst trinket and popping your shields can give you slight amounts of extra durability. Also you need to control very well with frost mage rogue. Try blocking before you take all that damage, and your rogue should be sapping one target and popping on the other, you should always try for a clean opener. If you go invis than he should pick up with some extra stealth for you if you need it. Basically your pressure needs to be fast, hard, and coordinated. You should be going for cc chains and deep freezing your target so your rogue can focus on damage then drop his own control afterward.

Your rogue should also do other things like focus cheap shots, focus garrotes and getting a resap on a blind target during shadow dance. Your rogue needs to pull his weight, if they are focusing you than he needs to get the lead out. He should be feeding you trix and coordinating cc and truly peeling. Dismantling the melee or redirecting a KS on who is training you, following up with his own burst on your kill target.

All this being said, healer comps are going to be your biggest issue until you learn to coordinate CC very well. In the end twos is going to be a lot of effort for a few achievements but can be useful for points.

I would like to point out than even though I do twos with a full tyran mage on my rogue, even my mage struggles with liviling especially when I'm getting CC chained and can't peel for him.

I guess you could gem straight resi but... I don't see missing your other bonuses maybe mages are different.
    Last edited by Carni; 2013-05-14 at 11:30 PM.

I use glyph of armors. I don't feel like regemming now so I guess I'll just wait until after patch since I have a feeling gemming resil won't be that great compared to other stats. Thanks for the advice guys!

Btw Vamp, might wanna consider getting closer to the hit cap lol. Must be brutal missing a spell in Arena~

10+ Year Old Account
    youre outgeared, simply put. most people are already close to, if not already full tyrannical.

Nothing's wrong with your expirience, atm most have tyranic weapons/full set/half offset even below 1.5K raiting and some classes can blow you up in no time. Just keep trying to blow them up faster.

You're watching people stream high rated 3s and thinking everything should be going to same while you're playing double DPS in 2s? That's your problem. Obviously you'll die fast when you have no heals whatsoever from your partner.

Greatest series of advice ever..

(blow him up harder, get hit capped, out geared, dont get hit, no heals for you in double dps 2s...)
    Got some Sherlocks here.

1. Stop trying to help an obviously bad player play a mage. There are enough mages who can't play for shit but rely on their stupid burst to carry their teams. We don't need anymore.
    2. The reason Blizzard subscribers have dropped is because so many people are re-rolling mage as their mains and killing themselves thinking that smashing their faces on their keyboards harder will have better burst.
    3. You dont need to coordinate cc "better", it's easy.. PoM poly, ring of frost, Pet nova, your nova, cold snaps... continue being stupid op.
    4. If you are getting shit on in 2s as a mage, even undergeared, and not hit capped.. stop playing this game.. That means you can not properly press "1" and "2"

mod edit: Please give constructive feedback instead of... this.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-05-17 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prestilence View Post

(blow him up harder, get hit capped, out geared, dont get hit, no heals for you in double dps 2s...)
    Got some Sherlocks here.

1. Stop trying to help an obviously bad player play a mage. There are enough mages who can't play for shit but rely on their stupid burst to carry their teams. We don't need anymore.
    2. The reason Blizzard subscribers have dropped is because so many people are re-rolling mage as their mains and killing themselves thinking that smashing their faces on their keyboards harder will have better burst.
    3. You dont need to coordinate cc "better", it's easy.. PoM poly, ring of frost, Pet nova, your nova, cold snaps... continue being stupid op.
    4. If you are getting shit on in 2s as a mage, even undergeared, and not hit capped.. stop playing this game.. That means you can not properly press "1" and "2"
    You sound so mad.

Got some Sherlocks here.

1. Every class atm is being carried by stupid burst or stupid burst of its partners.
    2. You're delusional if you think that Blizz subs droped becouse of mage rerollers or pvp as a wholle.
    3. There're shit loads of teams that'll live past your easy awersome CC chain, what do we do till next PoM cd sir?
    4. You're welcome to post a video with buttons 1 and 2 binded in honor gear stomping 2v2. Show measly pests how 1 and 2 should be pressed.

Long story short: you're offensive retard with zero knowledge about mage shittalking OP for no reason, if your butt hurts from mages get some vaseline instead of posting nonsence.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your haste is really, really low.

When I play frost I have around 12% haste - this could make a fair bit of difference as you are sat at around 6%. This is probably just because in terms of gear you are way behind. I'm nearly full Tyrannical and I play 1600-1800 MMR in 2's (I'm not that great) and I have just started playing 3's (currently 1740 after playing 35 games).

Gear does play a big part but so does skill - a skilled player in your gear would be fine. You have only played 50 games in your 2's team so you probably just need to practice more and learn to cc better. That's the harsh reality of it.

Also I looked at your Rogue:

Character Audit
    5 unenchanted items
    5 empty sockets in 3 items
    Jewelcrafting: 1 unused Serpent's Eye

Get him to sort his gems/enchants out - they make a huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    your comp is 100% offensive...haste is probably better for you but i suspect it's a dmg problem. you and the rogue need to do obscene dmg and get the momentum, get their defensives, get your reset - and finish. cant do that with 476 gear [missing a ton of stats ] and a rogue who doesnt gem his sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    your comp is 100% offensive...haste is probably better for you but i suspect it's a dmg problem. you and the rogue need to do obscene dmg and get the momentum, get their defensives, get your reset - and finish. cant do that with 476 gear [missing a ton of stats ] and a rogue who doesnt gem his sh*t.
    Rogues can essentially do someone 100-25% in an opener in 2s. You'd want a high mastery mage with a Bomb/Deep explosion. Haste is better in 3s where you play NT and spend half the game casting polymorph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Rogues can essentially do someone 100-25% in an opener in 2s. You'd want a high mastery mage with a Bomb/Deep explosion. Haste is better in 3s where you play NT and spend half the game casting polymorph.
    if you're good enough to pull off haste you go haste.. lower GCDs more attractive to some people in any area of the game. stack it ~12-13% and that's an extra lance into deep. its the same dmg if you're busy. there's no rule for comps its preference now.

Haste? On a frost bomb? NO! Okay maybe that wasn't clear enough but no, you don't go haste with bomb, it's not worth it if you go haste. Getting the cast off is hard enough -cc's stun's interrupts did I mention frost locked lol no blockz?- and it may -and will- get dispelled. And when you land it you'll want it to be worth it. So, your reforges are okay, your resi which is %67.xx is okay, I think flameglow>all in 3's but still ice barrier may sometimes come handy. With blazing speed your surv. should be normal. -I'm using %66.xx resi with %52 ish power and NT build, works fine at 2k-2.2k bracket ATM-

BUT. I would never, ever play frost bomb seriously on a 3's team. Venruki plays it, and he's venruki and maybe he can pull it off but I simply think I'm not good enough for it because people sit you and it's hard to get a cast off, when you want a cast off it should be poly so atleast your partner can do some pressure while you're jumping around skill lancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archiul View Post
    Haste? On a frost bomb? NO! Okay maybe that wasn't clear enough but no, you don't go haste with bomb, it's not worth it if you go haste. Getting the cast off is hard enough -cc's stun's interrupts did I mention frost locked lol no blockz?- and it may -and will- get dispelled. And when you land it you'll want it to be worth it. So, your reforges are okay, your resi which is %67.xx is okay, I think flameglow>all in 3's but still ice barrier may sometimes come handy. With blazing speed your surv. should be normal. -I'm using %66.xx resi with %52 ish power and NT build, works fine at 2k-2.2k bracket ATM-

BUT. I would never, ever play frost bomb seriously on a 3's team. Venruki plays it, and he's venruki and maybe he can pull it off but I simply think I'm not good enough for it because people sit you and it's hard to get a cast off, when you want a cast off it should be poly so atleast your partner can do some pressure while you're jumping around skill lancing.
    i wasn't aware that haste only effected frost bomb cast speed.. mb. :/.. playing haste is 100% worth it with the stats right now. believe what you want. it wasnt worth it in 5.0 .. 5.1 was debatable.. 5.2 it is for sure fine if you want to.

Got some Sherlocks here.

You have captured what is is to play a mage exquisitely i must say. It really is as simple as using RoF, nova, pet nova and cold snap (PoM poly isn't used because most would opt for blazing speed but i will ignore that because you are most likely one of the people who complain about getting beat after every game).

If you couldn't tell i was being sarcastic well, i was. :-)

On topic perhaps it is a gear problem since you are most likely fighting people who are close to or full Tyrannical leaving you outgeared, or perhaps you just need more practice. Either way watching venruki streams won't help because he is playing 3's with a healer while you are running double DPS 2's.

Your gear isn't helping you, you will hit a wall in any bracket with the gear you have. If you're playing the comp right, I would say 1750ish would be about the max you could manage until you get more gear...

In saying that though, if you're dying too quickly, I'd say it's more the way you are playing the comp than anything. Mage/Rogue when played well has insane survivability for a double DPS comp.

In terms of talents, blazing speed is the best bet versus almost everything, allows you to kite much much easier versus melee, and versus casters, get to a pillar to avoid burst (chaos bolts, shatters etc.) POM is also good but if you're having trouble surviving - blazing speed for sure. Ice Barrier versus any team without a dispel, Flameglow versus anything else is a general rule in 2s. Versus Resto Druids, grab Spellsteal glyph.

Versus anything without a Rogue (due to mass stealth) you should get a clean opener every time, and should force some defensives/trinket. If your rogue shrouds out of the gates, then you invis just as shroud is about to end you have plenty of time to set up. I generally like to sap the kill target, and sheep the off-target out of invis, into garrote/frost bomb/big shatter/deep/orb/ring of frost around them off the bat. It should net you either the kill or almost every defensive cooldown they have. Probably the trinket on the off-target as well in order to peel.

If you don't get the kill in the opener, you basically have to turtle until you have orb/dance back up. You can do this as mage/rogue by "taking turns" in tanking the enemy team. Say for example if you are versing Mage/Disc Priest, you're going to want to force to Mage to go on you for a while, by having your rogue pillar hump constantly and trying to get re-stealths. If the enemy Mage starts owning you, have your rogue come out and garrote/cheapshot the mage and put out some pressure, while you blink/blazing back to a pillar to recover. Use your second deep as a peel to stop damage. And by the time the next deep is up, you should be able to get a sheep -> blind on one target and kill the other with deep/orb/dance/bomb.

That's some general advice, obviously the way you play is determined by the comp you are facing, but the opener, "taking turns" at tanking the enemy, peeling in between deep/orb/dance cooldowns, is pretty standard across the board.

Hope this helps...