Thread: PVE Fire Advice

PVE Fire Advice

Hello.

I play a mage in our weekly alt run and I was hoping to see if anyone has any tips or advice on ways I can improve. From what I can tell I'm playing relatively well, but am still quite new to mage and seem pretty far below getting ranked (70-90%).

I know that Legendary, 4piece and better trinkets will make a big difference but if there are any other factors that more experienced mages can spot, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thank you for your time.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rg...one/?enc=kills
    (Didn't spread combustion very well on Tortos, I know I was supposed to but didn't have a good feel for where their hitboxes were.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...izard/advanced

Look at every other fire spec thread the general consensus is 35% crit minimum to be comparable to frost, but you still get screwed by RNG alot, 38% crit + 4pce and you start to regularly beat frost. basically don't even bother chasing good fire dps till your 525ilvl+

Quote Originally Posted by Xomniuri View Post
    Look at every other fire spec thread the general consensus is 35% crit minimum to be comparable to frost, but you still get screwed by RNG alot, 38% crit + 4pce and you start to regularly beat frost. basically don't even bother chasing good fire dps till your 525ilvl+
    I have looked at other threads.

I am above 35% crit self buffed and I've already changed from frost and noticed a dps increase. Won't be going back to frost as I do not like the movement penalty. But thank you for your response.
    Last edited by PalawinFC; 2013-05-15 at 02:43 AM.

Your Pyroblast dot and Evocation buff uptimes are low. Not terribly but they can be improved. You're CD usage is weak. It's taking you to long to get your Combust going once it's available. I'm fairly certain that it's a dps loss to be delaying your Synapse Springs to line up with Combustion. Synape Springs are balanced around being used every minute not every 1.5. Also if you use them every minute they will still line up with your Alter Time burst, which is where your big Combusts come from. In order to shorten the time inbetween Combustions you should be watching it's CD and when it has ~7 seconds left you should hold your Pyroblast in order to use a gcd or two before it comes off CD. This way by the time your second or third pyo, which is what you need in order for a good ignite, Combust will just be coming up and you can use it almost instantly. While fire is less punishing to movement than frost or arcane. You should still be moving as little as possible.

Fight Specifics:
    On Twins you can spread your Combustion to the fire boss during phase 1 if she is out and nearby. Also be sure to dot the fire boss when she appears for a few seconds each time during phase 1. On Durumu if you position well you can cast a Fireball while waiting for the next maze area to appear. It's tight but if you're confident its worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Llewllyn View Post
    Your Pyroblast dot and Evocation buff uptimes are low. Not terribly but they can be improved. You're CD usage is weak. It's taking you to long to get your Combust going once it's available.
    I think the pyroblast dot is probably just a gear thing, I'll make a bigger weakauras to tell me when invoker's is off, and also need to plan it around fight mechanics a little more. Is it more efficient to refresh at 0 instead of casting evocate with 3 secs left on invoker's in order to try for 100% or not worth the risk?

I should definitely try to pre-empt combustion more.

I'm fairly certain that it's a dps loss to be delaying your Synapse Springs to line up with Combustion. Synape Springs are balanced around being used every minute not every 1.5. Also if you use them every minute they will still line up with your Alter Time burst, which is where your big Combusts come from.
    Actually I was wondering about that, I only leveled engineering to replace alchemy last week and so I wasn't sure if I should delay it for combustion or use on CD. I saw some logs of mages doing it and some where they didn't. I see what you mean about lining up with the 3min combust but not the 90 second combust. I'll start using it on CD instead.

Fight Specifics:
    On Twins you can spread your Combustion to the fire boss during phase 1 if she is out and nearby. Also be sure to dot the fire boss when she appears for a few seconds each time during phase 1.
    Yeah I was looking for that but she didn't appear on melee

On Durumu if you position well you can cast a Fireball while waiting for the next maze area to appear. It's tight but if you're confident its worth doing.
    Hmm.. there's probably a lot of times throughout the night where I was a little too eager to scorch. I'll work on maximising fireballs next lockout, now that I've played the spec in a raid environment. I would think there's probably quite a few times during maze that you can get fireballs off, I wasn't doing as well as I should.

Thanks heaps for your help, I'll take it all on board this week!
    Last edited by PalawinFC; 2013-05-15 at 05:09 AM.