Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    If your a law biding citizen, then California isn't a brutal state. If you not, California's a brutal state. I've seen the shit coming from police officers there. You can also go on YouTube, theres plenty of clips for you to watch, off how bad the Californian police are.
    I'm inclined to believe that if you are dick to the cops, then you are asking them to be a dick back. (no i'm not accusing you of being a dick), just refering to how folks too often treat law enforcement

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I found that much more hilarious than I probably should have.

"You are assaulting her-" *TZZZZZZ*
    Yeah, you probably did

I didn't find it funny at all and laugh at all kinds of fucked up shit. Like the following.

I'm inclined to believe that if you are dick to the cops, then you are asking them to be a dick back. (no i'm not accusing you of being a dick), just refering to how folks too often treat law enforcement
    exercising your rights as an american does not make you a dick. unless you're going to walk out into the middle of a town with an AR-55 for the sole purpose of posting a video of you being a douchebag to youtube.

true story by the way

i'd have laughed if that guy had gotten tazed or shot by these guys, that would have been funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Yeah, you probably did

I didn't find it funny at all and laugh at all kinds of fucked up shit. Like the following.

exercising your rights as an american does not make you a dick. unless you're going to walk out into the middle of a town with an AR-55 for the sole purpose of posting a video of you being a douchebag to youtube.

true story by the way

i'd have laughed if that guy had gotten tazed or shot by these guys, that would have been funny.
    You are absolutely right, exercising your rights doesn't make you a dick... Nor, does doing your job... (not to mention I wasn't talking about this particular incident when I said it, I was more speaking to the general asstard attitude folks have when dealing with law enforcement, Folks expect respect from law enforcement, but quite often forget that they in order to get it its a good idea to give it.) Now, back to the video, Thusfar, I'm inclined to side with the cops on this one.

furthermore: if a cop asks for cooperation and you refuse it or make them go thru all the crap to get a warrant, then you damn well better expect them to an extremely thorough job of any search that you FORCE them to get a warrant for.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2013-05-15 at 06:06 AM.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Thats true. If you act like a dickhead towards law enforcement, they'll act back. But there are so many times, where the Californian police has shot and killed young KIDS. And they didn't even have any weapon on them. There are so many cases, videos about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats true. If you act like a dickhead towards law enforcement, they'll act back. But there are so many times, where the Californian police has shot and killed young KIDS. And they didn't even have any weapon on them. There are so many cases, videos about this.
    How many is "so many"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    How many is "so many"?
    I don't count em, but you can start googeling/YouTubing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't count em, but you can start googeling/YouTubing.
    So you're unable to back up your claim, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Are you implying Youtube isn't a legitimate source?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i'm not. I said i don't count HOW Many. Just go on YouTube. ^^ Is just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    They are able to enter the house if they have a reason, without a warrant. It generally requires people being in trouble, aka if they have been told there is a domestic disturbance at a location and the people refuse to come outside to talk to you, and you admitted you have a kid in the house that they can't see?
    A phone call is not probable cause. I don't know why this keeps being brought up.

"Oh, we got a phone call that there was a problem, so we don't need warrants for anything."

What the hell is even the point in having a warrant then, if all you have to say is, "Oh, somebody made a phone call."

Also what right? I wish Americans would stop using 'the 4 or the 2nd amendment', just tell the right, not everyone is from America and I can't be arsed to learn a constitution that isn't even my own.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, our police don't learn it either.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-05-15 at 06:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many you say? thats highly subjective, and hell no I"m not wasting my time trying to prove or disprove your claim, nor am I inclined to go 'google' it to see how accurate you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many you say? thats highly subjective, and hell no I"m not wasting my time trying to prove or disprove your claim, nor am I inclined to go 'google' it to see how accurate you are.
    Well obviously not many, but its many compared to other states. I'm not English, so pardon my wordings.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would also note that I never saw the police have guns drawn.
    The officer with the hat on the right holsters his gun at about the 23 second mark of the video and draws his tazer shortly after. Not that it is worth bringing up, it's completely normal in a situation like that...

As far as the video... The people in the house were right to invoke their rights, but stupid not to open the door and engage in conversation. Opening the door doesn't mean you have to let anyone into your house... There is obviously more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    A phone call is not probable cause. I don't know why this keeps being brought up.

"Oh, we got a phone call that there was a problem, so we don't need warrants for anything."

What the hell is even the point in having a warrant then, if all you have to say is, "Oh, somebody made a phone call."
    A neighbor reporting domestic violence is probable cause. That is also the most likely reason there is more than 1 cop there. The people were also refusing to come outside and talk to police. Standard practice in a domestic call is to separate the parties and ask what happened. Seems like the cops were also asking about the kids, so I would hazard a guess that they spoke to the people (neighbors) who called it in and the neighbors mentioned they were worried for the kids.

We also don't know the call history at that address, and a ton of other information. Implying there wasn't probable cause when we don' have much info is a pretty silly call to make.

---------- Post added 2013-05-15 at 02:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    The officer with the hat on the right holsters his gun at about the 23 second mark of the video and draws his tazer shortly after. Not that it is worth bringing up, it's completely normal in a situation like that...
    You are right, my bad. I thought he was holding his radio and didn't see him holster it.

furthermore: if a cop asks for cooperation and you refuse it or make them go thru all the crap to get a warrant, then you damn well better expect them to an extremely thorough job of any search that you FORCE them to get a warrant for.
    Can you give me a recent example of a cop actually getting a warrant instead of inventing probable cause/busting down the door after somebody refused an illegal search?

Or hell, any example?

10+ Year Old Account
    "You act one way so the people paid with your tax dollars to protect and uphold the law are totally allowed to retaliate and smite you".

The fuck? I'm not even commenting on the video itself just the rampant reaction defense of that. I mean, that's not okay, but I'm getting the uncomfortable vibe from most of the thread that "it happens better wise up INSTEAD of making it right".

10+ Year Old Account
    I never defend pigs, but from the back story and video included herein, I don't see any civil rights violations. The police are allowed to kick in your door when they request you come outside to talk and you refuse and they were called to the residence because of domestic abuse. It is their duty to investigate the situation and when the resident will not comply, the police do not simply walk away.

The homeowners should have gone outside to address the responding officers' concerns... not retreated into the house declaring what they thought were their Constitutionally protected rights.

I highly doubt this video was real. Also doesn't show nearly enough to on by anything. It doesn't show what they are doing inside it's all just the people bitching and trying to be high and mighty. They probably did something wrong and are just trying to be smug asses about it and get back at them.

Panszer, there is no such thing as the californian police. There are many different police agencies within the state, each made up of thousands of different officers.

A neighbor reporting domestic violence is probable cause.
    Florida V J.L. " In recent case law, Florida v. J.L. (March 28, 2000), the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that anonymous tips are not sufficient grounds to constitute probable cause for a search. Judge Ginsburg, writing for the Supreme Court, stated, "Such an exception would enable any person seeking to harass another to set in motion an intrusive, embarrassing police search of the targeted person simply by placing an anonymous call.…"

A phone call is NOT PROBABLE CAUSE. NOT PROBABLE CAUSE.

Police can investigate, and ask questions, but if somebody REFUSES to allow the police to search their home, vehicle or person without probable cause or a warrant, REFUSAL TO SEARCH IS ALSO NOT PROBABLE CAUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    The police are allowed to kick in your door when they request you come outside to talk and you refuse and they were called to the residence because of domestic abuse.
    Absolutely, 100% false.