Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

WeakAura to tell how many stacks a player has?

Is it possible to make a weakaura for someone to see how many stacks of something they have?

Say for example tanks on Frost King on Council. WeakAura displays the other tank's name (Tank: # of stacks)?

Deleted
    Yeah it is possible with having the target on Focus, Might even be able to do it without that but have not tried it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to do it without a focus as I'm setting Frost King to focus for a quick taunt, etc.

You can just use the Tank's character name (trigger unit: specific unit) if you are only looking to use this aura in your regular raid.
    Obviously won't work in LFR unless you manually change the aura.

This gives me an idea for a video…sadly, I'm away from home until Friday.
    The thought goes: it's trivial to set a global variable. /run X = "something"
    it's also trivial to get the name of your target /run X = UnitName('target')
    it's not too hard to watch the combat log for some particular debuff being applied
    and to have it run a custom function that triggers if the unit it is applied to matches
    what X is set to. You'd also need an untrigger to check for the aura dropping off
    and probably need to handle enter/drop combat, zoning events, along with party changes

/run x = unitname('target') is a bit long to type so maybe you make a /command to do it
    "/wat" to track target, "/wat clear" to reset the tracking.

Yes it is very easy. I have 2 auras for every tank debuff in Throne. 1 for me and 1 for the other tank I tank with.

http://youtu.be/Jo_YU7MhtOU?t=11m21s

I can post a SS of the way mine look if you would like. In the link above you can see how I have them setup for Heroic Sha. The only difference on debuffs with stacks is there is a number next to their name displaying the stacks.

This will change your life for tanking. It makes everything 100x easier.

Deleted
    Basically you pick to track the debuff and then you choice Specific Unit and type the name of the player. You normally use Player or Target. If your Aura is used as a texture you can use a texture like

Etapic:%s stacks %p sec

And a example it could look like

Etapic:4 stacks 56 sec.

%s=Stacks of the Aura %p=Progress of the Aura

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Yes it is very easy. I have 2 auras for every tank debuff in Throne. 1 for me and 1 for the other tank I tank with.

http://youtu.be/Jo_YU7MhtOU?t=11m21s

I can post a SS of the way mine look if you would like. In the link above you can see how I have them setup for Heroic Sha. The only difference on debuffs with stacks is there is a number next to their name displaying the stacks.

Yes, yes it would make life 100x easier. Especially for frigid assault on heroic council, etc. I just have the issue of making it actually loiok nice and everything. Wouldn't mind posting it would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Yes, yes it would make life 100x easier. Especially for frigid assault on heroic council, etc. I just have the issue of making it actually loiok nice and everything. Wouldn't mind posting it would you?
    Do you just want one for frigid assault?

Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    Dynamic Group. Track debuffs on anyone in raid/group/party etc
    This guy has it right, make sure it's in a dynamic group, set unit to "Group", turn on autoclone. Done.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you just want one for frigid assault?
    Yes. I'm sure I can figure out how to make it for others if I can see one of them. I'm assuming if you enable full scan cpu, it'll track it more accuracy correct? Because I would taunt at 10 according to BigWigs and it'd end up at 11 or 13 by the time you accounted for lag, etc.

@aggixx: That's what I got my current set of debuffs is, but just on myself.
    Last edited by Bryce; 2013-05-15 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    This gives me an idea for a video…sadly, I'm away from home until Friday.
    The thought goes: it's trivial to set a global variable. /run X = "something"
    it's also trivial to get the name of your target /run X = UnitName('target')
    it's not too hard to watch the combat log for some particular debuff being applied
    and to have it run a custom function that triggers if the unit it is applied to matches
    what X is set to. You'd also need an untrigger to check for the aura dropping off
    and probably need to handle enter/drop combat, zoning events, along with party changes

/run x = unitname('target') is a bit long to type so maybe you make a /command to do it
    "/wat" to track target, "/wat clear" to reset the tracking.
    Could you just have it watch the combat log for the debuff, grab the name of whomever it is applied to and assign that to the variable, thus automating the variable assignment?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Without going super in-depth, Full Scan mode does not make it more accurate, but instead allows it to do some extra things like check by spell ID or check multiple units.

Because of API restrictions, in order to check for a buff spell ID or check using a pattern WeakAuras needs to look through all of your buffs and check if each one matches your conditions on an individual basis. If you can do what you're looking to do without full scan mode then you should, because instead of having to look through all your buffs it simply does a check of "is the buff up?" and is therefore much more efficient.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

You could, but I wouldn't. There are a number of ways stack counts can get diddled with during combat. I'd much rather know "this aura tracks this debuff on this person" than "this aura tracks this debuff on whoever last got it." Further, this kind of approach generalizes to other uses. For example suppose you always want to use tricks of the trade on one player. You can assign them to a variable, track it with an aura and have a macro automatically "do the right thing" without messing with your focus or manually re-writing macros/auras. It could also be useful for setting up a "kick rotation" (tracking the CD of whoever your kick buddy is so that you can 'just know' when they kick and when it's your turn. There may be multiple groups of interrupt people (ie: 2 people for each of 2 boss abilities, or people for pillars like on Nefarian P2) so you need the option to 'ignore' parts of the raid.

I agree it is very helpful. I do something similar with just showing the tank frames in sUF with the debuffs showing under. Not quite the same but similar. But your UI is definitely very crisp and well laid out.