Deleted

The most fun you've had raiding rogue in ToT

The current tier is coming to an end for the competitive raiding segment, and it's that time where you no longer need tight play to kill stuff, but can instead experiment. And on that note, I'd like to hear some stories from everyone about their most memorable/epic/hilarious moments raiding with rogue in Mists.

For me, I've really liked the Marked for Death talent and the gameplay it creates in fights such as Horridon.

I also do recall a clutch solo kill on Dark Animus involving cloaking the jolt and double evasion tanking the last 2M of his health.

And having been forced to play Assassination all this tier, it felt pretty epic to stack up the Elder Council and go nuts in a 700k Blade Flurry spam.

What's your story?

I'm still surprised they've left improved feint alone, the amount of cheese that lets you perform is wonderful.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    ...and it's that time where you no longer need tight play to kill stuff....
    D:

Today we killed our first heroic, the first night we tried it.
    The class is awesome if you enjoy it.
    Elusiveness feint feels really cheesy sometimes, and cloaking some boss abilities is also incredible. A lot of fights where I see me as the least damage taken feels good and like helping the healing a lot.

Waiting for the last piece of tier to make the 4-bonus and a slow weapon to try out combat, eventhough I think I don't enjoy it as much.

Deleted
    This tier really let our survival skills shine.
    I would even say I have no issue with feint being borderline OP mitigation skill, since in my head a rogue is a selfish, cowardly dude who likes to use all kinds of gimmicks to ignore some mechanics in order to do what he/she does best: stab bosses with sharp things with imbued poisons.

Of course, smoke bomb turning into a small raid CD was a small step outside the whole selfish thing. Which can be a good thing :P

10+ Year Old Account
    That awkward moment when you realize the OP is talking about normal modes...

Infracted: trolling
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-05-16 at 04:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I'm still surprised they've left improved feint alone, the amount of cheese that lets you perform is wonderful.
    If anything they would have to nerf baseline Feint, the extra 15% AoE mitigation won't let you safely eat something that baseline Feint wouldn't.

Deleted
    Hmm, definitely Dark Animus (and being Combat add the extra flavour of having to time the Killing Spree). A well-done Ji-Kun is funny too, depending on your assigned nests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes, Smoke Bomb felt good as a raid cd.
    Before it was a non-used skill ever or just used in these moments of 'unleasheveryactiveskillyouhaveforgod'ssake!'.
    I even remember wiping a try in Valiona&Theralion when Smoke Bomb made the tank/melee group undetected and detonated us with some shit.

I'm just saying, dancing during the Lightning Storm on H Jin'Rokh is still funny to me. Sitting there unloading on the boss while your Warriors and Paladins are getting angry because I'm not going under 80% HP. Feint, you are my hero.

Deleted
    Aye, Jin'rokh is an awesome opening fight - the pools make it a min/maxers dream, and trying to get through attenuation 2.0 untouched is great fun. Try doing it without Feint (DPS LOSS!) and I guarantee your pulse will spike by 10.

I will have to attempt this next week. I imagine if I only hit Feint a couple times rather than 100% uptime during Storm, my DPS will jump.

These 10 normals were way overtuned- not enough to stop us from killing the boss, but enough that we had to wipe a bunch. It was super frustrating to wipe a bunch, get the kill, and then next week Blizzard nerfs it. That hasn't impacted my fun as a rogue, but as a raid lead it has been really harmful to morale. If Blizzard wants hard normals, they should make hard normals. If they want easy normals, they should make those. They shouldn't overtune then nerf, as that feels awful.

But, to the question:

This entire tier is pretty close to call. We contribute meaningfully on every fight. No fight do you want to sit a rogue. Feint, cloak, step, and burst all feel super fun. Baseline prep really makes my rogue feel solid. This class has needed baseline prep for like 5 years.

We aren't through enough heroics yet to really make a call, but for now HJR feels really super to maximize dps on, and minimize storm damage taken. If just talking normals, I think Horridon + marked for death is stupendous fun, and I like drawing the Ri Maajons in normal mode Consorts, and Iron Qon just has some cool things to do. I like it when mechanics are clever, and that fight is pretty nice for it. Lei Shen is solid as well. A lot of these fights really make you feel like an awesome ninja. This is a fun raid.

A lot of folks praise Dark Animus, but that fight seems silly. Very precise positioning requirements plus a lot of "dps off" doesn't seem like a fun intro to a fight, though I like eating the anima ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    A lot of folks praise Dark Animus, but that fight seems silly. Very precise positioning requirements plus a lot of "dps off" doesn't seem like a fun intro to a fight, though I like eating the anima ring.
    I assume the people talking about DA are referring to heroic mode. The fight is just amazing. The first 2m are about keeping all the adds in control, the tanks alive, and killing everything precisely and quickly. The last 2m are about never ever getting hit by Anima Font, which gets insane with 3 tanks, a MW, you, and a bunch of anima rings in melee range (they apply a heavy dot on heroic). It's like H Sha p1 without killing adds, except it ramps up faster, gets up to a crazy level, and each bolt will 1shot you if not mitigated. This is a far cry from normal mode DA, which feels like a glorified trash encounter.

As a rogue, there are a few fun things we can pull off this tier (in no particular order):
    • ShS+Glider on Windstorm; Iron Qon
    • Holding Soul Fragment to ludicrous stacks (think I hit 50 this week) because Feint+Elusiveness and a clutch CoS makes your health not move; H Council
    • ShS to a better position with Overcharge, standing still with Helm because of glyphed Sprint and continuing to soak Bolts with Feint, solo soaking Static Shock with CoS or Feint; H Lei Shen
    • ShS through Ice Walls, reducing Drain damage to nothing with Feint+Elusiveness; H Durumu
    • CoS Matter Swap for zero damage; H DA
    • Pre-CoS to immune Ionization; H Jin'rohk

We can just ignore a lot of mechanics with solid use of Feint, CoS, and ShS. Pretty fun stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite: Ji-Kun normal. My raid leader made us perform what was to be our Heroic strat, 5 groups assigned to colored pillars. I also got to spend all my feathers on Nutriment instead of flying to the upper platforms. Definitely a tunnel vision dream! This really helped on Heroic!

Ignoring the many mechanics that Squirl already listed was quite the boon as well (:

Ok, the HDA you describe sounds pretty epic. We aren't there yet, and normal dark animus is teh lame.