Deleted

worth buying mumble/vent/TS if Im going to try host 10 man pug MSV and HoF/toes group

My question is whether it is worth me buying a TS/vent/mumble server to try and host normal 10 man pugs each week I have a mate who can tank them which may help and someother people who want alt runs. The main focus is to help people with gearing any alts they have.

Is it worth it to buy if Im gooin to use it each week?

PS Can u buy servers weeks at a time or months at a time?

Deleted
    you can rent these yes OR you can put a server up yourself on a old comp etc not that hard TS3 is the easiest to config but mumble is best sound and has more options

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want you can use my guild's mumble. We have open slots. If not you could always use the openraid one

If you have a half decent outgoing internet connection, and can set up some port forwarding (see http://portforward.com/ for instructions) just host it yourself.

Honestly those pugs can be done without a VOIP program, but I would strongly recommend getting on if it's not an issue for the few dollars a month. Interacting with people while raiding makes the raid easier, better and more fun in my experience. Have made some longlasting friendships in pugs just bullshitting on vent.
    I'd recommend going with Mumble if you do get it which, again, I strongly encourage. Has the best sound in my experience and the audio wizard makes sure that you don't have some asshole at like 9x the volume of everyone else (there's always one in vent, you now it's true haha).

It is right around 4 bucks a month if you only want 10 slots. The more time you buy at once the less it costs.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I use a 2$ VPS to host a ts3 server. More slots less cost

Deleted
    I have an old pc I can run as a server, is it worth it to set up the server on it rather than my own computer?

I live in the UK so my internet may not be the best, I am upgrading it soon so it might be ok. How much of my bandwidth woud it use?

I remeber a friend hosting his own TS, their where some issues but the biggest problem was the latency.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bhoy View Post
    I have an old pc I can run as a server, is it worth it to set up the server on it rather than my own computer?

I live in the UK so my internet may not be the best, I am upgrading it soon so it might be ok. How much of my bandwidth woud it use?
    For Mumble: Outgoing, it's "users talking at once" x "listeners" x 60kbps. Approx 1.2Mbps assuming you often get people talking over each other, or some mouth breather with his mic open.

A fibre line like Virgin Media can handle it fine. A BT non-fibre connection is going to struggle.

http://speedtest.net will tell you what your upload speed it.

There's no reason to run it on your old PC, unless your new one is a bit crap. Given that you even have an "old PC", it probably isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    If you have a half decent outgoing internet connection, and can set up some port forwarding (see http://portforward.com/ for instructions) just host it yourself.
    It's max 8 people, for ventrilo anyway not sure about the others.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    My new pc is pretty beefy so I assume I could run the server from that?

Hopefully can test it soon.

Also is raidcall a good alternative until I can get it set up and rollingz?y
    Last edited by mmoc1026fa9e2a; 2013-05-15 at 12:44 PM.