Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Seems it's bad to role-play a socerer

http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=15420

A woman wrote to our ministry recently to ask for advice about a family member who was very much into the game, Magic: The Gathering.

I would shut down the playing of this game as soon as possible. As you’ll read later in this post, it has caused problems in children who just want to have fun and don’t realize how harmful it can be to play a game that requires you to play the role of a sorcerer who uses magic powers to slay your enemies. Let’s face it, children receive their first indoctrination into the occult through games such as this, Ouija boards, and ther occult-based video and card games. So it can never be harmless to let kids play with these games.

Thanks to the excellent research of Marcia Montenegro and her blog, Christian Answers to the New Age (one of my favorite sources for information about the occult and New Age), I can report that this game was created in 1993 by a mathematician and Dungeons and Dragons enthusiast named Richard Garfield. Sold by Wizards of the Coast, it is a trading card game using cards that are linked to five different kinds of magic (as in sorcery, not tricks) which are labeled as “red, blue, green, white or black.” Players, who represent sorcerers, use the cards to destroy their opponent before their opponent destroys them, mostly through the use of spells, enchantments and fantasy creatures such as Chaos, Orb, Bad Moon and Animate Dead.

“Like Dungeons & Dragons, the famed role-playing game, Magic is a challenging game that calls for intricate strategy and shrewd plays,” Montenegro writes. “However, that strategy is worked out within the dark context of the occult.”

She goes on to posit another type of game – called Pusher – in which players pretend to be dealers rather than sorcerers. “Each player is a drug dealer trying to win by selling the most drugs and getting rid of the competition. The game could be made complex by introducing challenges from the law, prison, gangs, impure products, etc. So, how comfortable would you be playing Pusher? Would the message against drugs and the role of pretending to sell drugs seem hypocritical to you? Sorcery is no less dangerous and no more moral than drugs; in fact, there is a long-time connection between the two.”

The fact that this game has caused problems in children is well documented. In this blog, I document the case of a suit against the Pound Ridge Elementary School in Pound Ridge, NY in 1995 in which teachers were using the game in their math class. Parents found out about it when their children began to have nightmares about the game. They ended up having to sue to put a stop to it (and other occult-based “learning tools” the teachers were using.)

Remember, both the Bible (Deuteronomy 18) and the Catechism (No. 2117) explicitly condemn sorcery, calling those who practice it “an abomination” to the Lord.

I can only wonder why on earth anyone would want to “pretend” to be someone that God has labeled an “abomination”?

Deleted
    Delusional people will be forever be delusion. Do as you always do, ignore them, they're morons, not worth the breath wasted on talking to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Delusional people will be forever be delusion.
    This. I don't want to get into religious bashing but i can't stand people like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's quite hilarious how "sorcerers" and drug dealers were made equal. Is this why US is losing the "war on drugs"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue The Shaman View Post
    This. I don't want to get into religious bashing but i can't stand people like this.
    Her stance has more to do with mental illness than religion. Religion is the character mental illness is playing on this charade.

I blame the parents not the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    nightmares about the game? sorcery and drugs are the same? seriously?

what wouldn't i give to just smack some sense into these people...

talk about the pot calling the kettle black, as a lot of people would say that Christian schools teach children using "Occult-based learning tools" (as different people have different views on what the occult actually is ofc)
    Last edited by Jawless Jones; 2013-05-15 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    Cristian logic: Magic is Evil yet they believe in the magic skydaddy and keep quoting a book full of 'magic' except than it's all of a sudden called a miracle
    Ah well figures they also believe magic and the occult is real, guess i'll be going to hell for playing a mage .....

' So, how comfortable would you be playing Pusher'
    Guess she never heard of games like gta , Saints row and several others where you can do exacly that ^^
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2013-05-15 at 11:59 AM.

Surely she must be trolling.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I don't really see how pounding this shit into kid's heads isn't child abuse, in a moral sense.

Deleted
    I'm a sorcerer and I'm offended.

Nightmares because of Magic: The Gathering?

Wat?

Women of Grace Blog. Sorry, but that's like... even below Fox news reporting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the best comedians in the world are the ones who rant about the evils of magic in card games, video games and Halloween.

Of course it stops being funny when these people get into any position of influence or authority.
    Putin khuliyo

The writer of that article needs to be shot.

I mean I hate magic the gathering and dungeons and dragons (all that uber-roleplay stuff) but the only danger to people and kids there is from that dumbass, fanatic writer!

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The writer of that article needs to be shot.

I mean I hate magic the gathering and dungeons and dragons (all that uber-roleplay stuff) but the only danger to people and kids there is from that dumbass, fanatic writer!
    Dude, magic got nothing to do with role playing. It's a card game just like any other, just more complex. When I play magic I never think of myself as a wizard who just used a destruction spell. lol?

Although the lore of magic is interesting - by far the game pushes mathematics and strategic thinking the most. Knowing things about goblins and demons means shit nothing in magic. Being able to add, subtract quickly and en mass is what is really required to excel at magic. It isn't even RP at all - when I played no one pretended to be a wizard we just played out the cards and tried to win.

Complaining about magic as a problem game is akin to complaining about ANY game out there, period. Only difference between Magic and other games (such as video games) is Magic actually increases critical thinking and math skills, not just hide behind tired "video games help hand-eye coordination skills... derp derp."

This lady might as well be trying to get all games banned.
    Last edited by slime; 2013-05-15 at 01:22 PM.

Well it depends...

Does the person playing Magic the Gathering weigh the same as a duck?

wasn't jesus a magician who could turn water into wine? He also had some necromancer spells like reviving the dead if i remember correctly.

If anything an interest in magic shows a desire to be closer to god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    wasn't jesus a magician who could turn water into wine? He also had some necromancer spells like reviving the dead if i remember correctly.

If anything an interest in magic shows a desire to be closer to god.
    Or a desire to be god, and god doesn't like competition.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I think we should veer away from religion here, although I don't know what there is to veer away to that isn't too off-topic.