Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

should an expansion pack come with 1 month play time

The original game does come with one free month. It's a standard for all sub based MMO. But an expansion never come with a free month. It is my belief that this is wrong. An expansion should always include a free month.

if you buy an expansion pack, you can't even play the content you bought until you also buy at least 1 month playtime. I am not arguing for or against sub model, but if you spend $40 in an expansion, you should be given some time to try it.

this could even help the game gain popularity.

I think you shiuld be able to buy a month for the equivalent of 5$ (1 month is 15$) when you buy the most current xpac.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    The original game does come with one free month. It's a standard for all sub based MMO. But an expansion never come with a free month. It is my belief that this is wrong. An expansion should always include a free month.

if you buy an expansion pack, you can't even play the content you bought until you also buy at least 1 month playtime. I am not arguing for or against sub model, but if you spend $40 in an expansion, you should be given some time to try it.

When you buy an expansion you can't even play it unless you have the original game. The whole point is you are buying an expansion for a game you are already subscribed to so why bump the price up and add the 30 days. Because if they add the days, they WILL bump the price to cover it.

Would you be happy buying the expansion if it were $10 more?

Deleted
    yes for sure. I wouldn't mind if it was for free for subscribers too btw

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    When you buy an expansion you can't even play it unless you have the original game. The whole point is you are buying an expansion for a game you are already subscribed to so why bump the price up and add the 30 days. Because if they add the days, they WILL bump the price to cover it.

Would you be happy buying the expansion if it were $10 more?
    you could imagine the scenario that you have an account but not active.
    If a month is included in the expansion purchase could convince more to dive back into the game.
    it could boost your xpac sales and promote it further.

as for making for expansive. It's all about the ratio [entertainement value / price]. That equation is let to the costumer to solve.

yes

10chars

I wish it came with one free month.

I think expansions should be free. What are we paying a subscription for if not the new content? I can understand if it was an actual sequel, but expansions are just big patches basically. Should expansions come with a free month? If they insist on ripping people off anyway, absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even like 5-10 days I could live with. Anything but 0.
    I'm never subbed at the end of the expansion.
    As soon as I've downed the last boss on Normal, and done a couple of HC I'm out until the next expansion.
    I only played Cata on release for about 10 days before I burnt out and didn't play the rest of it.
    Wrath and MoP I got my worth out of the first month.

But Iunno.
    You are forking out $40+, you atleast deserve a couple of free days.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Better: If you have an active subscription, you can try the new expansion for free for 30 days (and you have purchased all required previous expansions).
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post

Wont make a difference for me.

There are lots of F2P games and I never touch them. 1 month free wont make a bad expansion good or make me buy it if I wouldn't otherwise.

Yes it should.

The expansion should be free if you have a longer subscription. If you subscribe for 6 months or one year (like the beta deal), you should get it for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see how it could hurt.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    What are we paying a subscription for if not the new content?
    You pay for support (GMs, CMs), bug fixes, server access (you rent the account, after all) and the costs of keeping everything up (servers, network, IP, system engineers, etc.). Not for more content. Patches are a bonus and expansions are a separate thing all together and you pay for that development.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind if it did come with some, or half price of which it normally costs.

$40 for the next expansion should net the player all the prior content, which would go a long way towards easing the cost of getting into this game for new players (all 8 of them).

You pay for support (GMs, CMs), bug fixes, server access (you rent the account, after all) and the costs of keeping everything up (servers, network, IP, system engineers, etc.). Not for more content. Patches are a bonus and expansions are a separate thing all together and you pay for that development.
    I guess it's perspective... I don't look as patches and their related content as a bonus, I'd say they're part of why I'm paying a sub to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Don't see how it could hurt.
    They would lose money when they give out 1/12 of their sub revenue and fail to sufficiently increase box sales/subs to make up for the loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    They would lose money when they give out 1/12 of their sub revenue and fail to sufficiently increase box sales/subs to make up for the loss.
    And........?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely have always said this exact thing.

I *think* (but may be dis-remembering) that tBC came with 1 month of free time....

But anyway, yep. 40$ for a cd-key (since you download all the data via patches now anyway) is really outrageous.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.