Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

AffDots - Balance Druid, Shows DoT timers and strenght

I wrote a module for balance druids to go with AffDots.

It shows a dot timer and it shows a percentage of : WhatIfIWouldCastNowDoT / CurrentDoT * 100.

Now I know we aren't the regular dotters like Spriests and warlocks but this still provides useful insights into the strenght our dots combined with procs and what not.

Downloadable at:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots-balance-druid
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots

Feedback and suggestions are definetly welcome I only got feedback from one of my buddys so far, but everything seems to work properly.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you elaborate like on the affdots page about the different colors and what they mean for Balance Druids. For Lock they are tracking Pandemic and whatnot ... does yours track and change color based on Nature's Grace? Based on Eclipse? Please elaborate!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manamonster View Post
    Can you elaborate like on the affdots page about the different colors and what they mean for Balance Druids. For Lock they are tracking Pandemic and whatnot ... does yours track and change color based on Nature's Grace? Based on Eclipse? Please elaborate!
    At the moment it colours green when you would do more damage, yellow if its the same damage and red if its less damage. But it could be something to consider making it change colours based on other conditions aswell.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeri2 View Post
    At the moment it colours green when you would do more damage, yellow if its the same damage and red if its less damage. But it could be something to consider making it change colours based on other conditions aswell.
    Would be nice to color it based on Nature's Grace since our haste breakpoints revolve around NG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manamonster View Post
    Would be nice to color it based on Nature's Grace since our haste breakpoints revolve around NG.
    Well it does in a way, if your nature's grace runs out your potentially new casted dot will lose atleast 1 tick and therefor do less damage which means the percentage will drop and most likely, depending on other procs and cd's ofcourse, the background will turn red.

I guess we're curious on the math behind on how you calculate "WhatIfIWouldCastNowDoT"... Not sure how much of the math is being done by the affdots module and how much you had to change...

Another thing I'm curious: say I just put my 2 dots on a mob, a couples of second later a huge trinket + meta gem procs... I'm sure the new dots will be a lot stronger, however, does it consider the dps loss from spending 2 globals reapplying the dots? If it does, how? I.e. does it take into account that ur in solar (i.e. the loss will be smaller in a single target fight) or lunar (which the loss could be potentially higher)?

I'm certainly going to give it a try tonight to see how it feels. GG dude - this could be a big big thing for new balance druids trying to play this quite complex game of dot managing.
    Last edited by land; 2013-05-15 at 03:29 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well it does in a way, if your nature's grace runs out your potentially new casted dot will lose atleast 1 tick and therefor do less damage which means the percentage will drop and most likely, depending on other procs and cd's ofcourse, the background will turn red.
    Possibly, but the way the AffDots works is it still colors it blue when your stats are amazing but you don't have Pandemic. Could be a similar situation where you have so many beneficial procs that it's still worth casting even without Nature's Grace. Just saying to make it similar to AffDots I think it would follow the same idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    I guess we're curious on the math behind on how you calculate "WhatIfIWouldCastNowDoT"... Not sure how much of the math is being done by the affdots module and how much you had to change...

Another thing I'm curious: say I just put my 2 dots on a mob, a couples of second later a huge trinket + meta gem procs... I'm sure the new dots will be a lot stronger, however, does it consider the dps loss from spending 2 globals reapplying the dots? If it does, how? I.e. does it take into account that ur in solar (i.e. the loss will be smaller in a single target fight) or lunar (which the loss could be potentially higher)?

I'm certainly going to give it a try tonight to see how it feels. GG dude - this could be a big big thing for new balance druids trying to play this quite complex game of dot managing.
    Its hard to judge when recasting is a valid option. I would personally advice only consider recasting right before exiting an eclipse and when that happens I would, depending on the procs obviously, only recast the eclipsed dot. Specially if you think you can carry it back into that same eclipse again. With the legendary meta gem and our increasing haste levels its easily doable to say cast Sunfire before exiting Solar eclipse and then keep that dot up untill you reach a new solar eclipse. Thats definetly a DPS gain if you pull that off with a strong dot. My advice is also to combine this addon with your normal balance power and proc/cd trackers. If you play like that for a while you get a better feeling and understanding of how your dots grow in strenght and you will be able to make better decisions on when you could gain some dps when recasting a dot.

I wrote a module for balance druids to go with AffDots.

It shows a dot timer and it shows a percentage of : WhatIfIWouldCastNowDoT / CurrentDoT * 100.

Now I know we aren't the regular dotters like Spriests and warlocks but this still provides useful insights into the strenght our dots combined with procs and what not.

Downloadable at:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots-balance-druid
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots

Feedback and suggestions are definetly welcome I only got feedback from one of my buddys so far, but everything seems to work properly.
    Hey is there a way I can invert and have sunfire first (i.e. to the left)? All my ui is based on that right now and the addon you wrote is the opposite, quite confusion for me Don't mind updating the lua file btw just need to know where.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    Hey is there a way I can invert and have sunfire first (i.e. to the left)? All my ui is based on that right now and the addon you wrote is the opposite, quite confusion for me Don't mind updating the lua file btw just need to know where.
    Yes if you open the lua file and search for the initspec function you need to change some arguments:

AffDots:Track( 8921, AffDots.Update.dot, "target", 14, 0, 0, true)
    AffDots:Track( 93402, AffDots.Update.dot, "target", 14, 0, 1, true)

Into

AffDots:Track( 8921, AffDots.Update.dot, "target", 14, 0, 1, true)
    AffDots:Track( 93402, AffDots.Update.dot, "target", 14, 0, 0, true)

And the same for your focus target if you care for that.

I guess I could put this on my todo list for the options menu.

Deleted
    How did you manage to get the values down? I can make a small list of stuff that needs to be taken into account when it comes to our dots strength

Eclipse or no eclipse
    Nature's Grace or not
    Legendary Meta proc
    All the trinkets out there like Breath of Hydra, Cha-ye's, Wushoolay's etc
    Engineering tinker
    Tailoring cloak
    Lifeblood
    Incarnation/Celestial Alignement
    Potion

I like the idea, its really good to know for example when you're about to exit an eclipse and you've been unlucky with crits and your moon/sunfire are down to 6-7 seconds left and it could actually be worth re-casting it with buffs. I'm very curious how you value the different buffs tho since I'd guess it should work as a percent thing where 100 is your current dots.
    I think the colour system is fine as it is, green means they're stronger and yellow means they're the same, red that they're weaker just like Affdots. But I think the numbers are way more important than the actual colours so focus more on that instead!
    Keep up the work man!
    Last edited by mmoc4b46c3acea; 2013-05-16 at 04:31 AM.

Deleted
    The addon updates your stats before calculating the dot damage. This means that if we get new trinkets in 5.4 for example that proc 10k int or 12k haste that I dont need to update the addon it since it works with your stats and not with your gear.

I like the look of this mod, but as previous people have said, there's so much that needs to be tracked! It sounds like a lot of work! Thanks for trying to make things easier.

The usefulness of given addon is debatable, since moonkin dots are just 1/4th of our total dmg in single target. its more important to actually just have the dots up 24/7 than have "strong" dots - ie recasting them when theres still ~50% duration left is in most cases a dps loss (depending alot on haste procs, more than int ones)

now that i think of it, a more suitable addon would be tracking how many ticks theres left on your current dots, and showing how many ticks you'd have on your new dots

Deleted
    Would also like to know what you're actually checking, the only way I can see this being useful is if you compare the new dot damage to the old one and then comparing the difference with whatever ability you would otherwise do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    The usefulness of given addon is debatable, since moonkin dots are just 1/4th of our total dmg in single target. its more important to actually just have the dots up 24/7 than have "strong" dots - ie recasting them when theres still ~50% duration left is in most cases a dps loss (depending alot on haste procs, more than int ones)

now that i think of it, a more suitable addon would be tracking how many ticks theres left on your current dots, and showing how many ticks you'd have on your new dots
    I have been thinking about doing something with the coloring in the direction of gaining ticks and perhaps involving crit chance aswell. Good feedback, keep it coming.

Gave the addon a try last night and it was quite interesting. Doing some base tests it does seem to work based on ur current/proc'd stats and elicpse state too. What ppl mentioned about the remaining time is something to be looked at for sure...

Deleted
    I'd like to try this addon but for some reason i can't get it to work :S I have both the affdots and affdots druid but can't see it in game. Also in the Specialization it says "Specialization not supported. AffDots deactivated." Any help here?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feralica View Post
    I'd like to try this addon but for some reason i can't get it to work :S I have both the affdots and affdots druid but can't see it in game. Also in the Specialization it says "Specialization not supported. AffDots deactivated." Any help here?
    If it says that you have affdots properly loaded but the balance druid module not. Make sure you have it enabled in your addon screen, it should say AffDots - Balance Druid. The folder is called AddOns/AffDots - Druid but the addon isn't. Try a reload when you are in balance spec.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice job. As others have said though it's worth questioning whether or not less experienced players will hurt their DPS by using this add on. Simply applying dots whenever the box is green is obviously not the way to go. You have to be aware of time left on your dots, the time left on your buffs, and the time until you exit your Eclipse. WAs tracking these things should be more beneficial to correct dot usage than this add on. I'm trying to think of a way where you could use this color scheme and have it be better than WA tracking but I'm stumped.