Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Crashing the market

For those that are AH aficionados, how do you typically deal with people that intentionally try and crash the market. I decided to get back in the inscription market last week and everything has been going well. I typically have 250-350 auctions up which is enough for me and I check them 4-5 times a day when I am not raiding. I have made some decent gold while keeping an eye on the AH, somewhere in the neighborhood of 25k. Small time I know, but this is probably the first time that I really have begun to care about how much gold I have.

Last couple days on my realm, there are between one and three players that seem to be actively trying to crash the glyph market. For example, glyphs that had been selling for between 60-100g are being listed in bulk for 20-30g or less. How do you deal with them? Do you wait it out or attempt to buy out there stock? I only have about 60k and I really don't know if it's a smart move to attempt to buy out the competition when I have no idea what kind of stock they have. I could spend the bulk of my gold earned and saved only to have the same people force the market down.
    Last edited by Scinder; 2013-05-15 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't outlast them. That shit happened on my realm near the end of Cata, and is still ludicrously low. The vast majority of glyphs are under 20g.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what motivates people to do that honestly. They had to have either bought the mats or spent their own time farming just to sell at 70-80% below market price? That's idiotic no matter how you slice it in my opinion. Just not sure how to deal with the issue. I have two guild banks full of ink that I had originally planned to use back towards cata and the beginning of MoP but I didn't have the time or motivation to really get into the AH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    For those that are AH aficionados, how do you typically deal with people that intentionally try and crash the market. I decided to get back in the inscription market last week and everything has been going well. I typically have 250-350 auctions up which is enough for me and I check them 4-5 times a day when I am not raiding. I have made some decent gold while keeping an eye on the AH, somewhere in the neighborhood of 25k. Small time I know, but this is probably the first time that I really have begun to care about how much gold I have.

Last couple days on my realm, there are between one and three players that seem to be actively trying to crash the glyph market. For example, glyphs that had been selling for between 60-100g are being listed in bulk for 20-30g or less. How do you deal with them? Do you wait it out or attempt to buy out there stock? I only have about 60k and I really don't know if it's a smart move to attempt to buy out the competition when I have no idea what kind of stock they have. I could spend the bulk of my gold earned and saved only to have the same people force the market down.
    I don't try and crash the market, but I don't see a reason to charge 100g+ for a glyph that cost me 20g in mats at most. It's one of those things that benefits low level/new players and only hurts the people trying to gouge other players.

Seems to me like you've got scribes selling glyphs for what they're really worth now. The only thing your selling is convenience to those that don't feel like leveling a toon with Inscription, where as other professions are also selling valuable crafting mats required to make their products. The production costs for making glyphs is ridiculously low and the profits should only reflect that in a sensible world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post

I've seen this happen a lot. This often happens in markets that never existed and someone sees it as a good money maker, they try to get in it and crash the prices. For the longest time, I've been selling those sexy Mageweave transmorg sets for 109G a piece. Then some one comes along and lists them for about 19G/piece. They've fallen down to around 9G and fluctuate between 8G-20G. Its been at that since ever. Its very frustrating. Sometimes there is nothing you can really do.

I've tried buying entire enchanting markets - like scrolls. You'll reset the price but it will crash pretty quickly with all the undercutting and competition.

I often see this in when I try to sell Enchanting Bags. I checked on the undermine journal and not a single bag had been posted for around a month. So I thought, what the hell, am sitting on stacks of dream dust and cosmic essence, I bought some cloth and made a few. Put them on the AH for 1000G each. Two days later I see 5 on the AH for 399G.

The problem is you can't outlast them like someone above mentioned. Sure you can buy them out, but they are making their money of you. You'll continue to buy them out and they will continue to relist while your turnover will be very slow or you'll never get rid of all that.

What I recommend, is never buy out markets if you don't know the market price. 2 Weeks back I saw the price for Enchant Chest - Major Stamina drop down to 22G. The going rate was steady for about 70g+. I saw around 8 on the AH. I bought it all out. The price rose to around 199G the first few hours and steadied at around 55G. Only do this when you know you ain't going to take a bit.

Secondly, never try and buy out markets and then sell them back on the AH. Give it some time in Trade Chat and sooner than later you'll find a buyer. You may not get as much as you could through the AH, but you will not have to worry about under cutters. However, this may not work for the Glyph Market.

One reason I don't waste my time in the Glyph market. Make your profits at the start of an expansion through Darmoon Cards and walk out. The time and baby sitting the AH is too much. You could in that time make gold in other markets.

Glyphs are a dead end market because no one has to buy multiple of them like in Wrath. That change forever doomed Scribes everywhere sadly =/

Deleted
    This happens plenty of times anywhere. let me list you the options you have that come to my mind:

1. sit it out. switch to other markets for a week and only repost lucrative glyphs. if ppl heavily undercut its pretty often to scare a new competitor out of business. they want to increase the prize once you are out. also keep in mind that it doesnt neccessarily have to be different players. maybe they want to pretend bigger competition by posting with different accounts.

2. buying them out. although this might work in markets with high demand, i highly suggest not to do that as glyphs are easily crafted and reposted. even if you buy out all glyphs + herbs scribes usually keep a guildbank full of glyphs with their toons.

3. communicate. usually it wont help you to /w them but its an option and may be beneficial.

4. fight your way through. 20-30 sounds reasonable to me for a glyph. calculate how much each glyph will cost you and it might still be lucrative. try to reduce your costs. this can either be done by buying herbs when they are cheap (before work/scholl) or even whisper sellers onm the auction house. frequent farmers tend to be happy to get rid of their herbs in large bulks immediately and will offer you discount. also keep in mind that youll sell way more glyphs for 20g compared to 50g as everyone has a treshhold whether he buys it from the ah or simply asks a guildy.

personally ild check the prizes and if my profit margin would be ~5g ild simply undercut as well and try to increaxse it by said methods. either they give up and relist theirs at higher prizes after couple of time or they dont. if your costs are higher than the gain, ild switch markets and keep checking it.

Deleted
    In gold terms you are very poor. You dont have the resources to fight. It will depend on your server, but it sounds you have an oversupply issue.

Inscription is very much frontloaded to DM cards in the early part of the expansion.

Crashing a market is easy, but restoring it to high profitability is much harder. I wouldnt try.

Kalos post is good. Know your cost and go all the way down to cost. A player with resources may be quite happy to sell below cost just to see you off. You do not know your competition. For instance a player who has moved servers can easily sell glyphs below the cost price.

Gems or alchemy are much better markets where you can dabble smalltime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    Glyphs are a dead end market because no one has to buy multiple of them like in Wrath. That change forever doomed Scribes everywhere sadly =/
    Actually, that didn't kill off glyphs. What killed off glyphs was removing mandatory ones in MoP.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kalo View Post
    This happens plenty of times anywhere. let me list you the options you have that come to my mind:

1. sit it out. switch to other markets for a week and only repost lucrative glyphs. if ppl heavily undercut its pretty often to scare a new competitor out of business. they want to increase the prize once you are out. also keep in mind that it doesnt neccessarily have to be different players. maybe they want to pretend bigger competition by posting with different accounts.

2. buying them out. although this might work in markets with high demand, i highly suggest not to do that as glyphs are easily crafted and reposted. even if you buy out all glyphs + herbs scribes usually keep a guildbank full of glyphs with their toons.

3. communicate. usually it wont help you to /w them but its an option and may be beneficial.

4. fight your way through. 20-30 sounds reasonable to me for a glyph. calculate how much each glyph will cost you and it might still be lucrative. try to reduce your costs. this can either be done by buying herbs when they are cheap (before work/scholl) or even whisper sellers onm the auction house. frequent farmers tend to be happy to get rid of their herbs in large bulks immediately and will offer you discount. also keep in mind that youll sell way more glyphs for 20g compared to 50g as everyone has a treshhold whether he buys it from the ah or simply asks a guildy.

personally ild check the prizes and if my profit margin would be ~5g ild simply undercut as well and try to increaxse it by said methods. either they give up and relist theirs at higher prizes after couple of time or they dont. if your costs are higher than the gain, ild switch markets and keep checking it.
    Thanks for the advice. I will wait it out for the most part. They have to give up sometime or risk never making much gold. Some of them tried cutting down the shoulder enchants as well to below 200g so I bought them out and have been selling for 350-450 ea.

I set my TSM up to only make glyphs that I can make 40g ea on and that is working out well. I bought 200 stacks of MoP herbs (all but fool's cap) from a farmer for 1.5g per herb. I have plenty of shoulder enchants that I can make and the other ones that I can vendor.

I might get back into the JC market and sell as many primals as I can before a ton of people have their legendary metas. I only wish I had done the inscription thing back when Cata was released. I heard some players made millions.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone is crashing your markets, buy out what you can as long as it's far below your production cost. Come back when prices recover. In terms of glyphs, I consider them a big waste of time. The time spent making a glyph for 20-30g profit is simply not worth it, especially with the number of no-lifing 24/7 AH campers it seems to attract.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is why you create and generate all the resources that you may need yourself and become a Self sustaining mini economy!!

Deleted
    even if you farm the herbs yourself, its still pointless to sell glyphs for 7g ea if you could gain an equivalent of 17g for the herbs - which also sell much faster usually.

on our server,

One of the main flask sellers, was a guildie, he made a good amount of gold with it (low pop server no big fish) and to be fair, the flasks were in at 90-190g per one, which caused people to undercut him by 10g a time etc.

anyways, in the end another guild got fucked off with stupidly high prices compared to other servers, (he was also a alch but just storing his flasks) he put titanic strengths in at 30g buy out, single auctions, about 200 total, he broke even, but didn't make a profit, but he destroyed the market for flasks and we enjoyed cheap flasks right up until mop flasks, needless to say, Shit hit the fan that night

As someone else said you dont have the gold to buy them out. I had around 750k on my old account and I still didnt try to buy out under cutters. I figure why waste even more gold doing something that probably wont work. Just wait it out. People wont sell for stupid low prices for long once they realize they are losing gold because they cant even cover crafting costs. Eventually they will have to raise their price or they will have no gold left.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-05-19 at 02:15 AM.