Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Pandaren Monk docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You do realize that with an undertaking of this size if the cinematics team had taken it on there wouldn't be any game cinematics of any kind for about 5 years?
    Yep, it would be 100% worth it.

    Words to live by.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Nah. It can be done. I don't think WoW has the "substance" for it though.
    I disagree, I think WoW at it's core has plenty of substance. As I've said before, if they make the Warcraft movie to be a movie for people who like movies, it will do fine. If they make Warcraft to please it's fans it will stink. JJ Abrahams has it right with the Star Trek series. Make the movie about the story and the people and forget about whether it adheres to all the Star Trek rules to keep the Trekkies happy.

    That means they will need to change some things around and won't be 100% faithful. I'm sure no matter what there is going to be that group that is "OMG, the warlock had blue fire and not Green!!! That ruined the movie for me !!!" Video game movies have sucked because they have normally been aimed at the players and that doesn't mix well for the other 99% of the movie goers.

    I personally hope they do the movie LOTR style, where they plan out a 3 part series from the get go.

  3. #83
    Will it feature rapist pimp monkeys and giant bunnies that have captured kung fu panda's beer factory?
    Wh-what are you doing here!? G-go away!
    I don't want to see you anymore!
    Stay away from me!
    That's what Shi said.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I disagree, I think WoW at it's core has plenty of substance. As I've said before, if they make the Warcraft movie to be a movie for people who like movies, it will do fine. If they make Warcraft to please it's fans it will stink. JJ Abrahams has it right with the Star Trek series. Make the movie about the story and the people and forget about whether it adheres to all the Star Trek rules to keep the Trekkies happy.

    That means they will need to change some things around and won't be 100% faithful. I'm sure no matter what there is going to be that group that is "OMG, the warlock had blue fire and not Green!!! That ruined the movie for me !!!" Video game movies have sucked because they have normally been aimed at the players and that doesn't mix well for the other 99% of the movie goers.

    I personally hope they do the movie LOTR style, where they plan out a 3 part series from the get go.
    And that's why Doom failed. They wanted to make a good movie, and arguably they did, but it isn't Doom.
    Stay true to the rules and to the lore, then expand it with new stories, that's how a good Warcraft movie would be made.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    SMB had such little material to work with, what did anyone expect?
    I expected Mario and Luigi to visit the Mushroom Kingdom, finding a kingdom under the influence of a tyrannical dragon, and freeing Peach from Bowser. That could seriously be a movie- it's not like it's an unusual or crazy story form.

    What I did NOT expect was:

    1)- A sci fi movie instead of a fantasy.
    2)- Transdimensional Portal
    3)- Parallel Universe.
    4)- People descended from dinosaurs.
    5)- De-evolution beams.

    Essentially, everything that sucked about the movies had nothing to do with the game. You COULD have made a perfectly FINE movie. The source material is fun and cool. What they came up with was tragic, and sucked.

    I have to wonder... if the SMB movie from back then came out today, how many folks would praise it's "gritty" and "grim" approach to the source material. They'd probably think Nolan directed it.
    It didn't approach the source material at all. If you changed the names of the characters, you would never guess it was SMB at all. That's why that movie sucked giant dick.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:13 AM ----------

    I guess I will say that, there's no reason to expect this movie to be good. WoW's plot is mediocre, and normally the actual lore devs, as mediocre as they are (quick, how many female mogu are there?), won't even be allowed to approve the movie. It COULD be good- there could be creative control to prevent some asshole from driving it over a fucking cliff, and the internet has fixed a lot of really dumb excesses that movie directors used to get away with- but it's just a coin flip.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:17 AM ----------

    Oh, and I just wikipediad it because I didn't remember the ending, and it's because it was awful too. There was a giant stupid T-Rex, which made no sense, and Daisy hooks up with Luigi (non canon!). Everyone knows Mario gets the Princess, even if it's the wrong one!

    Gods, what a ludicrous movie.

  6. #86
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Yes, you did, you got a problem with other's opinions? deal with it.

    I hate hobbits and the fact that they are the protagonists in Tolkien's lore and I always skip the frodo+sam parts in LOTR when I watch it. Although I like other hobbits like pippin and even Bilbo in the Hobbit, he's awesome... Frodo and Sam... just... boring so yeah half of LOTR for me is a borefest due to too much focus on Frodo+Sam... and tbh I found The Silmarillion quite enjoyable but it's nowhere near as large as what Warcraft has in store
    Just look at some of the RPG books for warcraft and how many creatures there are in the lore and how many different zones and everything... that's what makes Warcraft lore better than LOTR for me ... I like quantity because it can be measured, quality is always subjective and what may be for some1 poor quality for others can be great...
    Fair enough. Tbh I haven't read any of the Warcraft books, and I didn't think of them when I mocked your comment. My bad.


    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    l don't necessarily want to spend $12 to see a Hollywood version of the Ragnaros fight.
    Are you kidding? I would love to see that!

    No, but I agree with you. A 1-to-1 repeat of the Lore would be kind of boring. Still, I hope they retain a lot of the known characters the way we know them.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 08:53 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    Iron Man 3 and the Mandarin character....who ever is comic book fan hated what they made of Mandarin. Im not comic book fan and I liked the movie and the whole Mandarin plot twist. Also movie made 600mil worldwide on first week. Fans were angry, but who cares.....Disney? Marvel? I don't think so

    There will be game movies in years to come and they will not fail, cuz studios learned how to make it now. Good script, good director and good budget....not like before
    I'm not a comic book fan either and I didn't like the Iron Man movies. But maybe that's because I'm old. The action in those films seems completely meaningless to me, and they have little else.

    Say what you will about James Cameron's Avatar, but at least the action is meaningful. Every action scene in it has a reason to be, and it made sense to me. The action in the Dark Knight, Avengers, or Iron man makes me feel NOTHING whatsoever. It triggers zero emotions in me.

    That's why I barely go to the movies anymore. I'd rather watch series. I get far more emotions from one episode of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad than the last ten pieces of crap to come out of Hollywood.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  7. #87
    Dreadlord Spichora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    what has worked is having an antagonist, we've got many in the warcraft universe, that works outside of the flow of the factions, but also have the factions at war with one another, where whatever side we're being told the story from, the other side will be the bad guys.
    Yes this is basicly wow's plot dynamic all over, but thats what made the story flow and why it works.

    night elves see orcs cutting down trees, and don't ask why, so they assume there evil. Orcs see night elves showing aggression and fight them without asking why, since they need the wood to survive.

    dwarves seen a bunch of trolls performing a ritual and assume its evil, trolls who are performing the ritual are doing so you keep an evil from entering there world, and see the dwarves as a pest.

    Orcs see humans walking across the barrens and see them as a threat and attack, humans are escaping from some raging centaur and now are faced with orcs attacking them.

    See this is what happens in wow, there is black and white, there is always a grey area, and it so often comes down to survival, to the most extreme. You throw in a real bad guy held inbetween all this, and you've got yourself a solid conflict, with ignorance as its main factor.
    Yes there is always Grey area. Thats why I think playing both Factions in game and reading some novel about both factions will solve the problem. Fans understand the "truth" about both factions. One who writes the story and the Director, too, should play wow for a while BOTH factions and read some novels to fully understand how Horde or Alliance work and act whats their goals and for what they fight for.


    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

  8. #88
    Just a little mistake I see people making over and over. This is a Warcraft movie, not a World of Warcraft movie. The second one is the name of a game title (the most well known, for sure) and the first is the entire collective name of the story, series, expanded universe, art, music, fanbase and so on.

    Which basically means this could either be a live-action re-telling of a previous story (Arthas, Deathwing etc...) or something completely new to set a new lore string for the future.

  9. #89
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    935
    Well there is many ways this movie/movie series can play out.

    As mentioned earlier they can make a movie from a previous story, Medivh from young to dead, Arthas from young to dead, Brann's adventures and many more.
    The thing is that these stories would be already told by the vast amount of lore that already exists, and will not expand the universe.

    I would like the movie/series to focus on some untold aspects. The Warcraft franchise has to many elements that are intertwined and starting with one of the big events that is already told will throw the non-gamers off. Lets instead tell a story of the untold heroes. The ones that not get screen time in the games/books. A great adventure that has impact on a much smaller scale than slaying the biggest dragon, but still will impact the viewers. I dont want it to be about the war between Alliance and Horde(since that will stereotype one side to be evil), but rather people from both sides coming together to fight for a similar cause.

    Lets tell a story where different races overcome their hate and fight together. An Orc and a Human standing side by side fighting a common enemy. A Night Elf trading knowledge with the very different, but still similar Tauren. A Dwarf and a Goblin agreeing on simple matters. And a shocking revealing of an undead that finally feels compassion and friendship where he never thought he would find it.

  10. #90
    Dreadlord Spichora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzina View Post
    Just a little mistake I see people making over and over. This is a Warcraft movie, not a World of Warcraft movie. The second one is the name of a game title (the most well known, for sure) and the first is the entire collective name of the story, series, expanded universe, art, music, fanbase and so on.

    Which basically means this could either be a live-action re-telling of a previous story (Arthas, Deathwing etc...) or something completely new to set a new lore string for the future.
    Yes I have mentioned that too. Even in the interview they mantion WoW movie that strange....


    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Yeah, the Super Mario Bros movie sucked balls!!

    ... or in other words your example makes no sense.
    You're not the sharpest, are you?

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    No. Because it would be painful to watch.

    I dont want to see the fantasy/RP element get overdone like with so many other films.... Many films (and novels/games/whatever too) tend to base their entire storyline and premise on the fantasy itself, and that usually just ends up making them terrible and horribly pretentious. The better way is to make the fantasy simply the setting for the story, not the premise.

    Discworld for example achieves this wonderfully, many others do not. Warcraft has been treading towards the latter recently...

    I do worry that this film may just be crammed full of "uber fantasy" themes solely to appeal to players, RPers and general fantasy geeks. I'm hoping for more of a down-to-earth, realistic approach.
    Warcraft setting isn't A Song of Ice and Fire's setting. I'm expecting a Hobbit or LOTR approach regarding the fantasy element, i.e. quite heavy on it. And it would be very weird if it wasn't.

  13. #93
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    839
    Avatar was a great series and then the movie, oh goodness the horror
    But I think it will be great.
    For the Horde! And for the Earthmother!
    Armory

  14. #94
    Final Fantasy AC was the last movie i ever saw i gave up on video game movies they all and always will suck.

  15. #95
    Warchief Kuthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,202
    Just like every video game movie ever, I'm expecting it to be god awful.
    But, due to it being WoW, Blizzard, etc. It will still have a heap of fanboys that will go crazy about it.

    I'll probably go watch it, if it catches my attention.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

    Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

  16. #96
    Herald of the Titans Asrialol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hunter Forums <3
    Posts
    2,782
    Baww. Wish it would be based on the Arthas story line or the Well of Eternity and all that. Not Thrall, please.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Super Mario is different then a MMORPG with such a beautifull lore as WoW.
    I'm fond of WoW's lore, but from an objective literary standpoint it's pretty shit really.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    I'm fond of WoW's lore, but from an objective literary standpoint it's pretty shit really.
    You have to compare it with other gaming universes though, not with George Martin or Robert Jordan.
    Good ol' uncle GRR writes a book every 4 years or so, it is obvious that the quality and the coherency of those books is much better than a game where you have to continuously write new stuff at a super high pace.

  19. #99
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,451
    Too many storyline's, and way too much lore to fit into a single 90min - 2hour movie.

    I expect either a heavily condensed film, trying its best to pack in enough existing lore to explain everything and turn out to be terrible, or some completely new lore that may reference known events.

    What I would like to see is it take off as a multi movie franchise, with each movie dedicated towards the telling the story of each faction.
    example,

    Movie 1 - The Alliance and its initial battle with the burning legion
    Movie 2 - The rise of the Horde and it's battle for freedom from slavery lead by Thrall.
    Movie 3 - Final movie in which both Horde and Alliance temporarily put differences aside to save Azeroth from an invasion of the Burning legion.

    This way they could have a lot lore to keep the lore nuts happy. as well as enough screen time to properly tell a story that is worthy of the Warcraft franchise, and leave it open ended enough for future movies to continue, either following on, or prior to the first movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  20. #100
    as long as they dont cgi everything and their mother it will be a success imo. if you don't know what I mean by this watch any lotr movie then watch the hobbit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •