Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warcraft (2015) going to be a successful video game movie.

So as it is planned Warcraft movie should be released in 2015. Players have been waiting for this over for 7 years already. This movie is too important for every good player of Warcraft, but from what Thomas Tull , Legendary Pictures CEO said that first thing he will do is that He will try to lose the fact that this is a videogame Movie. I dont know how you feel about this, guys, but Im little bit scared! But he said that if Director has good story (in this case Lore) director can make a good movie and he mentioned that Warcraft has good story too, so I guess we will see similar story telling what we have in Lore.

I think first of all is to lose the fact that it’s a videogame movie and just concentrate on do you have a story that’s worth telling? Because if you look back to the 80’s, comic book movies were not anywhere near what they are today. They weren’t given the resources and you didn’t have the level of directors that you have today working on these things. I think with videogames it’s just become much more sophisticated storytelling, hard to do a movie off of Pong, but today when you have stuff like Mass Effect, you have things like Warcraft, you have things like Skyrim where very cool worlds have been created, that’s what we’re attracted to. We took our time with Warcraft because just saying “How many people play the game? Well then that means X number of people will buy a ticket.” That’s a death trap, that’s the surest way to make a crap movie, and that’s not an option. So we took our time wanted to make sure that we used all the canon that’s been built up over years and years by Blizzard.
    Tull is also very proud to have Duncan Jones as Director and has big beliefs on him:
    We’re huge believers in Duncan Jones, and I think what we’re going to bring to screen and to bear with Duncan, he is going to break that mold because it’s going to have the resources, the talent around it, and a Field General in Duncan Jones. It’s, again, the reason we took our time, made sure we had the right guy, the right person to make the movie, and then it will speak for itself when it comes out.
    And I guess most important note !
    He added that we’ll soon be hearing updates regarding the production status, script, and release date.
    Some more words what Tull said about Warcraft Movie :
    One of the things were realty excited about is a movie called Spectral and the directors are these guys that did Kon-Tiki [Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg] that was up for an Oscar this year. They’re just incredible smart filmmakers. We also have movie with Michael Mann that’s going to come out that we’re really excited about. Michael Mann is one of the best filmmakers on the planet. So these are some of the things that we’re going to be talking a lot more about and that are on deck and getting ready to shoot besides the big ones that you’ve already covered.

Source

Movie also got new VFX director Bill Westenhofer a two time Academy Award winner for visual effects, Golden Compass and fresh one from last Oscar for Life of Pi.

Thats all for now.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW itself has been one of the best games in history, i don't think the movie will be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Super Mario Brothers was a great game too.

Good game does not correlate with good movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excited to see this movie, really hope it turns out good, the story is there. I won't be seen dead going to the cinema to see, though xd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post

Super Mario is different then a MMORPG with such a beautifull lore as WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

15+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft being a great game doesn't mean the movie is going to be great also.

It's pretty common for movies based on games to actually be rather bad.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post

SMB had such little material to work with, what did anyone expect? The plot behind the game was paper-thin. The entertainment value was purely in gameplay, not narrative.

I have to wonder... if the SMB movie from back then came out today, how many folks would praise it's "gritty" and "grim" approach to the source material. They'd probably think Nolan directed it.

Deleted
    If its possible to make a good movie about a millionaire who dresses as a bat to fight criminals then its possible to make a good movie about anything.

I think first of all is to lose the fact that it’s a videogame movie and just concentrate on do you have a story that’s worth telling? Because if you look back to the 80’s, comic book movies were not anywhere near what they are today. They weren’t given the resources and you didn’t have the level of directors that you have today working on these things. I think with videogames it’s just become much more sophisticated storytelling, hard to do a movie off of Pong, but today when you have stuff like Mass Effect, you have things like Warcraft, you have things like Skyrim where very cool worlds have been created, that’s what we’re attracted to. We took our time with Warcraft because just saying “How many people play the game? Well then that means X number of people will buy a ticket.” That’s a death trap, that’s the surest way to make a crap movie, and that’s not an option. So we took our time wanted to make sure that we used all the canon that’s been built up over years and years by Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    World of Warcraft being a great game doesn't mean the movie is going to be great also.

Thats what Tull said. They tend to be bad because the game doesnt have a good story to tell! Back in early 90s there was no Mass Effects too. Thats what was the problems then ! But in case of Warcraft movie we have VAST Story on which several Series of Warcraft movie can be taken ! And OFC we have great Mass Effects with 3D effects !

Cut legendary, and just flush the cash bowl into your cinematic department, they would probably make a more entertaining movie then a live action one. Also a full length movie from Blizzards cinematic teams? Holy shit!
    I Serve Only Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    WoW itself has been one of the best games in history, i don't think the movie will be bad.
    I shall remind you of the Biohazard/Resident Evil games and what Hollywood did to those stories...

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd rather shit in my hand and clap than watch this for sure cinematic suppository. but please, continue to discuss how successful you think it will be.

Post constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-16 at 11:19 PM.

Blizzard has never released a low quality product (even D3 which was disappointing compared to hype is still the best of its genre on the market). They will not allow legendary pictures to make a sub par product.

Quote Originally Posted by Irosol View Post
    Cut legendary, and just flush the cash bowl into your cinematic department, they would probably make a more entertaining movie then a live action one. Also a full length movie from Blizzards cinematic teams? Holy shit!
    This so much, i wish blizzard was taking this approach instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    I shall remind you of the Biohazard/Resident Evil games and what Hollywood did to those stories...
    Actually they introduced new characters and etc. They cant do same to Warraft Movie because we have precise Lore to follow if they will introduce new characters and new storytelling I think the film will be Total Disaster !

I actually think the line 'trying to lose that this is a video game movie' is encouraging. It's important that it be a good MOVIE first and foremost. It's going to be a tough balance. Cater too much to the lore fans, you'll likely lose the casual audience's attention and understanding. Make it too generic and the fans will claim it's a generic LOTR clone.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    SMB had such little material to work with, what did anyone expect? The plot behind the game was paper-thin. The entertainment value was purely in gameplay, not narrative.

I have to wonder... if the SMB movie from back then came out today, how many folks would praise it's "gritty" and "grim" approach to the source material. They'd probably think Nolan directed it.
    Same can be said about WoW. >.>

Gameplay mechanics are the only thing keeping WoW alive IMO. The lore is a bit of a joke. The world is fairly poorly fleshed out for an RPG.

My 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post

Grats for paraphrasing the quotations in the OP? I guess you didn't bother to read them.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder from all the lore all the books what theme the movie will be based on. I just hope it's not gonna be a let down and even if it is I'm just gonna torrent it anyway so I lose nothing :P