Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    They have to get Andy Serkis to motion capture a Murloc!!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i havent even seen that movie out of fear that it will ruin avatar for me
    they took entire season 1 of the cartoon and tried to fit it all in a hour and a half movie. and not introduce whole lotta people that helped ang "mature".

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I'm sharp enough, but I wasn't aware of the existence of a SMB movie. So I thought his post was nonsense. My bad and I am sorry.
    They made Super Meat Boy movie ?!?!?! Holy shit i need to watch it.

I think they should just do Warcraft 2 & 3 plots but do them as 3 movies

but arthas is definitely the villain they need.

illidan in the 2nd movie, arthas in the third, battle between humans and orcs in the first movie opening dark portal at the conclusion

Deleted
    The only really story (in my opinion) I see worthy to make a movie out of is with Arthas and how he became the Lich King, really. Especially in the same way they made the Lich King trailer, that would be awesome.

Would feel like Star Wars all over again but whatever.

World of Warcraft with real actors? Hmm... Meh, no, it sounds too weird.

I'm guessing they'll probably go for an original story. If they had to pick an existing story though, I'd love to see The Last Guardian done.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I expected Mario and Luigi to visit the Mushroom Kingdom, finding a kingdom under the influence of a tyrannical dragon, and freeing Peach from Bowser. That could seriously be a movie- it's not like it's an unusual or crazy story form.
    You literally just gave a plot synopsis of the actual film, aside from the damsel in question being named Daisy. Not that I disagree that SMB was a bad movie. It was. But its badness had very, very little to do with how closely it hewed to the established Mario aesthetic. A movie that had gone the opposite route and used the original character designs, played the cartoon factor for all it was worth and wrapped it up with a standard, paper-thin Mario game plot, would have been just as bad a movie. If not worse. It probably would have gone straight to video.

Quote Originally Posted by Irosol View Post
    Cut legendary, and just flush the cash bowl into your cinematic department, they would probably make a more entertaining movie then a live action one. Also a full length movie from Blizzards cinematic teams? Holy shit!
    Warcraft (2040)

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as Blizzard stays in on the process and applies their signature anal-retentive commitment to perfection to all the aspects of the project, I don't see any reason why it can't be freaking awesome. I just hope they try to do as much as possible live-action and only use CGI when it's absolutely necessary.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I'm guessing they'll probably go for an original story. If they had to pick an existing story though, I'd love to see The Last Guardian done.
    I don't think it will be that way at all. The fans would reject it. It would have to be a story that's at least somewhat recognizable for the main fan base to really turn out and support it. I'm guessing they'll go with the canonical version of WC1 and if it works they might do WC2. Or maybe they'll take the story from the scrapped Warcraft Adventures point and click game and do something with that, regarding the alternate version of Thrall's escape from Durnholde and all that followed.

A movie can have amazing effects, a great director, a great story and all of that stuff. But it all boils down to acting. If the acting is atrocious, that will bump the movie down quite a few notches in my book. That doesn't mean I the movie will be terrible, as I have usually fairly generous when it comes to rating movies. But, above all, I love good acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis View Post
    You have to compare it with other gaming universes though, not with George Martin or Robert Jordan.
    Good ol' uncle GRR writes a book every 4 years or so, it is obvious that the quality and the coherency of those books is much better than a game where you have to continuously write new stuff at a super high pace.
    Dude, more stuff happens in a typical fantasy book than in four years of WoW. And JUST plot isn't the only thing in a book- a plot outline doesn't take 4 years, WRITING A BOOK DOES.

To top it off, Blizzard has access to mad cash and multiple people. Their story team just isn't that strong.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to know what it will be about. Is the movie up-to-date, or something from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    You literally just gave a plot synopsis of the actual film, aside from the damsel in question being named Daisy.

Nope!

"I expected Mario and Luigi to visit the Mushroom Kingdom"

It's not a Mushroom Kingdom, it's like some kind of dystopian science fiction.

"finding a kingdom under the influence of a tyrannical dragon"

He's a man, not a dragon. He eventually becomes a T-Rex, or something dumb? It's really dumb, man.

"and freeing Peach from Bowser"

Daisy is captured at some point, but she was also raised in New York, and starts the whole thing not even knowing what she is.

There's nothing in common with the stupid games. It's the worst movie ever, and it could have been a fun classic film instead of some dumb dystopian science fiction badmovie.

But its badness had very, very little to do with how closely it hewed to the established Mario aesthetic. A movie that had gone the opposite route and used the original character designs, played the cartoon factor for all it was worth and wrapped it up with a standard, paper-thin Mario game plot, would have been just as bad a movie. If not worse. It probably would have gone straight to video.
    No way. The people who want to see a SUPER MARIO BROTHERS movie would have been "that was great!" and everyone else would have been "oh, lets not go see that super mario brothers movie". Instead, they shit on the first group, and the second sure didn't go see the movie.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    They made Super Meat Boy movie ?!?!?! Holy shit i need to watch it.
    It's just a bunch of simultaneous meat boys, most of them dying horribly, but one manages to win in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just mince all the cut scenes from the warcraft franchise together and you got yourself a movie.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Dude, more stuff happens in a typical fantasy book than in four years of WoW. And JUST plot isn't the only thing in a book- a plot outline doesn't take 4 years, WRITING A BOOK DOES.

To top it off, Blizzard has access to mad cash and multiple people. Their story team just isn't that strong.
    Then why don't we have hundreds of videogaming universes that are at least equal to ASOIAF or LOTR?
    The main reason is obvious: GRR Martin is a genius and you don't usually hire people like him to write videogames backstories. But it is also true that videogames are much more dynamic, you have to adapt to players feedback and gameplay reasons that change continuously, if a character is hated (looking at Me'dan or Cata Thrall) you have to shift them out all of a sudden, etc. You can't just take 3-4 years to go over the Meereneese knot.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the movie grosses more than 50 million worldwide I would be very surprised. Movies based off video games havent done well historically. Just look at Mario Brothers and Tomb Raider. Lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    If the movie grosses more than 50 million worldwide I would be very surprised. Movies based off video games havent done well historically. Just look at Mario Brothers and Tomb Raider. Lol.
    Resident Evil is at its 6th movie if I remember well (they all mostly suck, I agree)

Deleted
    Personally I'm hoping they stay away from a live action idea and go rather into the CGI style purely because they'll be able to deliver a better feel in terms of how things should look, perfect examples here would be: Warhammer 4000 Space Marines, Mass Effect Paragon Lost, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, Final Fantasy Advent Children just to name the most obvious, there are a few more obscure ones but these help my point better.

This would also mean they have less restrictions on what *Can* and *Can't* be done realistically without needing to compromise any of the lore and game play style we've come to enjoy over the years. I know some films that have come out of the gaming world haven't done too badly i.e Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Mario Brothers, which on their own were more platform based without any real huge background or lore to support them unlike WoW which currently has Vanilla followed by 4 expansions all of which have their own history's, lore and story spread through several novels as well as specific story lines that have in some cases been expanded in the game.

Can't really add Resident Evil to this as it's kind of grown on it's own although the latest one (Retribution) could of been so much more then your simple *We must clone/bring back Alice so she can kick the crap out of everything again* scenario, but to be fair there are books supporting most of what went into the film before and after production of the initial cinema release in 2002.

But Resident Evil and similarly Lord of The Rings/The Hobbit don't have half the races that make up even half of one faction i.e Horde/Alliance. Does this mean when it comes to WoW that we'll have to miss out seeing many of the races because they can't afford such a budget to hire that many people to cover all the basic races? How about mounts both ground and flying, how about pets and companions, I know of course this kinds of things would most likely be animatronics but why make a simple job harder just so you can cast a specific role with a big budget actor when having people do the voices etc would workout so much more appealing to the viewing public in general.

As the OP has already stated, a lot of us (myself included) have been waiting many years for this, ever since I saw the first cinematic upon launching WoW back in vanilla, I thought this could be a really cool concept if ever taken to the big screen, even more so now when you look at MoP's initial trailer and how the Horde/Alliance land on the isle of Pandaria. The smoothness in which things are now being rendered is so much better then it was back in 2004 when this all started and so having a bunch of actors come along playing the roles would just ruin the experience.

This is all just my personal opinion but it's been formed since the day I first started playing and has only gotten stronger in this particular view as the years have gone on and I've seen how other games/books/comics have been hashed together like Dungeons and Dragons in the hopes of just bringing in a bigger audience due to a celebrity name rather then the story itself and it's own merits.

Hell if done as CGI not only would it be legend... Wait for it... DARY! But it could become quite an awesome series when you consider how many books of lore there actually are currently:

These books were published using the WARCRAFT trademark.
    Original Series

1. Day of the Dragon by Richard A. Knaak
    2. Lord of the Clans by Christie Golden
    3. The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb
    Of Blood and Honor by Chris Metzen (unnumbered, not technically a novel)

Despite being clearly numbered, The Last Guardian is set years before either Day of the Dragon or Lord of the Clans. These novels can be read in any order, as all contain spoilers for the events of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.
    War of the Ancients

The Well of Eternity
    The Demon Soul
    The Sundering
    All by Richard A. Knaak

Though acting as a prequel to the events of all Warcraft games and novels, this trilogy involves characters from Day of the Dragon traveling through time, and thus has spoilers for that novel and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. Though reading Day of the Dragon and Reign of Chaos are helpful for understanding events and characters, they are not required.
    WoW imprint

The following novels were published under the WORLD OF WARCRAFT trademark (this is the publication order):

Cycle of Hatred by Keith R. A. DeCandido
    Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden
    Tides of Darkness by Aaron Rosenberg
    Beyond the Dark Portal by Aaron Rosenberg & Christie Golden
    Night of the Dragon by Richard A. Knaak
    Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden
    Stormrage by Richard A. Knaak
    The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm by Christie Golden
    Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects by Christie Golden
    Wolfheart by Richard A. Knaak
    Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War by Christie Golden

In spite of the trademark and the slogan "based on the best-selling video game", most of these books are not set during the events of World of Warcraft. Cycle of Hatred is set in between Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne and WoW; Rise of the Horde, though told through a series of flashbacks just prior to World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, is set almost a century earlier; Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal relate the events of the Second War. Night of the Dragon is set prior to the events of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King and reveals the current state of the black dragonflight, and Stormrage is set after the defeat of the Lich King but shortly before those of Cataclysm. World of Warcraft: The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm also takes place between Wrath and Cataclysm. Rise of the Lich King deals with the events of the Third War. Twilight of the Aspects takes place during the events of Cataclysm

Chronological order: Tides of Darkness, Beyond the Dark Portal, Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Cycle of Hatred, Night of the Dragon, Stormrage and World of Warcraft: The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm. Rise of the Horde is set before all of these, but takes the form of an extended flashback (from just before the beginning of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade), so it could be argued to be read between Cycle of Hatred and Night of the Dragon.
    Chronological order

Rise of the Horde[1]

First War (Warcraft: Orcs and Humans)

The Last Guardian

Second War (Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness)

Tides of Darkness
    Day of the Dragon

Invasion of Draenor (Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal)

Beyond the Dark Portal
    Lord of the Clans

Third War (Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne)

War of the Ancients 1: The Well of Eternity[2]
    War of the Ancients 2: The Demon Soul[2]
    War of the Ancients 3: The Sundering[2]
    Cycle of Hatred

(World of Warcraft)

Rise of the Horde[1]

(WoW: The Burning Crusade)

Night of the Dragon
    Arthas: Rise of the Lich King[3]

(WoW: Wrath of the Lich King)

Stormrage
    The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm

(WoW: Cataclysm)

Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
    Wolfheart
    Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War

(WoW: Mists of Pandaria)

the thing that will POSSIBLY save the WoW movie from the pitfall of other video game based movies is 1, they are working very closely with blizz, and blizzard call their writing staff a bunch of pinheads w/e, but they are also approving what goes on in the script, which to me anyway is a good sign. that and what kind of story do you want to tell a revenge epic? a fantasy war movie? an action adventure? seriously just need it to be set in the WoW universe and it would work. at the very least not bend it over a barrel and shove various objects up it's ass.

Deleted
    Haven't they said it was gonna be about Rise of the Lich King at some point?
    Anyway I doubt it would be released in 2015, more like 2020.