Deleted

3D printers and 3D printing [Discussion]

3D printers started out as a way to easily produce prototypes and basic models. Today, there are printers coming out aimed at consumers for home use to create tools, toys, bowls, complex models and so on.

What do you think, will 3D printers revolutionize retail? Will you get one? Will every home in the future have one, or will it be a novelty item?

I don't think every body will get one, because I don't see the usage of having one for me, but I think it will be a major part for the retail

And if ppl got some at home, they could do guns with it, and I don't think its a good idea...
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    3D printers are like the poor man's Replicator from Star Trek. You ask it to make something, it uses materials on hand, and produces just about whatever you want. While I don't think 3D printers have any particular mass level use any time soon, I think their presence allows us to consider what they COULD do.

A vending machine that can print supplies for students at a school.
    A kiosk that can print medical tools and supplies at a hospital (or a war zone, or a place without power)
    A manufacturing unit to produce on-demand visual aids in classes

Of course, there are always the defense ideas. A drop-box that can pump out supplies, ammunition, weapons, whatever. Heck, on a massive scale, maybe we can see things start producing cheap, disposable vehicles.

I think the proof-in-concept is more important currently than it's -actual- use. The next generation of these things 5-10 years down the line, I think is where it will start to become truly society changing. I'd like to think that shopping will be reduced to simply purchasing raw materials, and whatever you want is manufactured literally in your house. Break your phone? Cash in the material value (plus royalties), and poof, you've got a new one later that day.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Can't wait to be able to afford one. As the tech advances, we'll soon be able to make many more things. Nothing will say don't tread on me more than a home gun making factory.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    3D printers are like the poor man's Replicator from Star Trek. You ask it to make something, it uses materials on hand, and produces just about whatever you want. While I don't think 3D printers have any particular mass level use any time soon, I think their presence allows us to consider what they COULD do.

A vending machine that can print supplies for students at a school.
    A kiosk that can print medical tools and supplies at a hospital (or a war zone, or a place without power)
    A manufacturing unit to produce on-demand visual aids in classes

Of course, there are always the defense ideas. A drop-box that can pump out supplies, ammunition, weapons, whatever. Heck, on a massive scale, maybe we can see things start producing cheap, disposable vehicles.

I think the proof-in-concept is more important currently than it's -actual- use. The next generation of these things 5-10 years down the line, I think is where it will start to become truly society changing. I'd like to think that shopping will be reduced to simply purchasing raw materials, and whatever you want is manufactured literally in your house. Break your phone? Cash in the material value (plus royalties), and poof, you've got a new one later that day.
    Or print your own beast computer!

10+ Year Old Account
    Print another printer... =O

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see me having one in future, but i think it will be long time before they replace shops. Im still excited for it though, i can only imagine the designs some people will come up with for awesome, free (apart from materials) items.

I do worry about guns and such though.

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    Or print your own beast computer!
    Could be difficult given that a 3D printer can't make PCBs, and it would be a pain in the ass to have to solder every single transistor, capacitor and resister onto the board by hand.

On the other hand you should be able to print a pretty awesome custom case

We started building a 3D printer on our end, but sadly the guy behind setting up the electronics side apparently decided the project he'd baited us into wasn't worth finishing.

If I didn't already know the guy was broke I'd bill him for the damn thing about now...
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2013-05-17 at 01:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    I can see me having one in future, but i think it will be long time before they replace shops. Im still excited for it though, i can only imagine the designs some people will come up with for awesome, free (apart from materials) items.

I do worry about guns and such though.
    You still need a real firing pin. Currently plastic firing pins are a bit hard to make ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    You still need a real firing pin. Currently plastic firing pins are a bit hard to make ;-)
    There exist printers (SLS) that will do metal.

They're just really bloody expensive.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters