Thread: 5.3 PvP gemming

10+ Year Old Account

5.3 PvP gemming

With PvP power getting a substantial nerf, and Everyone getting 65% free resil (which is plenty), should we be stacking strength in PvP?

I'm thinking Blood (or DPS FCs with that tank nerf) will still use resil, but pure and even secondary stats will pull ahead of PvP stats for everyone else. I don't actively DK but I'm thinking I'll go full AGI on my monk main. Any class that proc's something (off crits for example) might even do well stacking that, or a strong mastery build.

Deleted
    Red: 160 str
    Yellow: 80 str 80 pvp resi
    Blue: 80 str 80 pvp power

not sure about the yellow str/resil. maybe str/haste or str/mast depending what youre stacking.

no no no, and no.
    Blue = full power
    prismatic= full power
    ignore socket bonus for power , unless strength (if str. use str+power)

Now lets think why. With the changes to Unholy pvp, we're going to be going mastery > haste. Haste WAS our go to, but now with our spec changes mastery is going to out weigh haste, while haste benefical is not reduced. We still get the same benefits from haste, its just since scourge strike damage and 225%ap scaled necrotic strikes, enough of our damage will come from our strength procs. Fallen crusader, or the pve 8800 strength trink, that with priority pvp power and mastery will be devastating. Its my opinion as to why the reduced the overall unholy might by 5%. So i already went glorious tyranny > fallen crusader weapon enchant as well.

Now we can be in unholy presence, use conversion effectively, maintain high haste, mastery effect will do higher damage making scourge strike like a non killing machine proccd obliterate, which will be really good to make up for the reduction of damage on NS, while maintaining that absorb. With the right procs, and forcing early trinkets and switches. All you need is 100rp, and a 12 blood tap stack to basically kill anyone = deathcoil RP dump, X-form ghoul, 4 necrostikes via blood tap, HoW, dump 3-4 more death coils, x 2 necrotic strike gg. Even with the added damage to scourge strike, it wont be needed to kill anyone. Its great for forcing cooldowns and maintaining pressure when necrotics are already applied. Think about all that pvp power, and str trinket and weapon proc at same time, those deathcoils and scourge strikes are going to hurt, and force enemies to a point that necrotic becomes your go to move, and just overwhelms them like a ton of bricks. I cant wait to get in against some mages in 5.3, revenge will be sweet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prestilence View Post
    no no no, and no.
    Blue = full power
    prismatic= full power
    ignore socket bonus for power , unless strength (if str. use str+power)
    Dude...do you know they nerfed pvp gems by 50% right? Also, str is already better than pvp power atm, DKs get more damage out of the primary stat than the pvp ones.

Deleted
    For Unholy Reinhart already theorycrafted that Str beats pvp power in 5.2 and gems accordingly. With the nerf to resil and power gems in 5.3 this will only increase the incentive to go for Str.

I can only assume the same is also true for frost as well, I haven't really followed it much.

Yes i am aware of the change, but you cant base a player only off a change of a single base. If you want to be good you have to consider more options. Similar to how you glyph your character, what is going to help you the MOST against the majority. A shit load of mages in your bracket, change to strangulate > aspyxiate etc. You dont just keep a item just because and hope it works.

With what i am talking about, unholy has potential to have great modifiers from strength procs. You get better results from str procs than you would static str.

So if you prioritize mastery (+shadow damage) maintain same haste, prioritize power slightly above strength, you should have better sustained damage/ proc damage/ burst damage/ on call damage. 5.3 isnt here yet, and this is one of the builds ill be testing.

full power/ full str/ mastery | power, I plan to test all of them and determine what I prefer best. If been a consistent 2k unholy and am trying to find an advantage to push to 2.2k. Trying all of the weights will give me an advantage of knowing exactly what and why something is superior over players waiting to see what everyone else is doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alrighty then, most of you say str>power, so I quit.

When a PvE stat is more valuable than a PvP stat IN PvP, that is where I draw the line. Cya guys when they change it back.

Power will definitely be worthless for gemming. Reduced amount on the gem by half and also reduced its scaling by half, meaning a PvP power gem on PTR is a quarter as good as on live.

Don't gem for pvp power, gem for str if you want increased damage, leave the pvp power bonuses to the gear and remember to do your itemizations to figure out if a socket bonus is worth it (it usually is)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Alrighty then, most of you say str>power, so I quit.

When a PvE stat is more valuable than a PvP stat IN PvP, that is where I draw the line. Cya guys when they change it back.
    Indeed... I think an easy way for them to maintain the solvency of PvP gear would BE to make PvP power gems more powerful. I think it's a decent assumption that people aren't going to be constantly regemming their gear from PvP gems to PvE gems every time they want to switch... giving a PvP set a solid "anchor" as the better set of gear to logically gem out would help maintain its place.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by prestilence View Post
    Yes i am aware of the change, but you cant base a player only off a change of a single base. If you want to be good you have to consider more options. Similar to how you glyph your character, what is going to help you the MOST against the majority. A shit load of mages in your bracket, change to strangulate > aspyxiate etc. You dont just keep a item just because and hope it works.

With what i am talking about, unholy has potential to have great modifiers from strength procs. You get better results from str procs than you would static str.

So if you prioritize mastery (+shadow damage) maintain same haste, prioritize power slightly above strength, you should have better sustained damage/ proc damage/ burst damage/ on call damage. 5.3 isnt here yet, and this is one of the builds ill be testing.

full power/ full str/ mastery | power, I plan to test all of them and determine what I prefer best. If been a consistent 2k unholy and am trying to find an advantage to push to 2.2k. Trying all of the weights will give me an advantage of knowing exactly what and why something is superior over players waiting to see what everyone else is doing.
    There is no possible scenario where 160 PVP power will be better than 160 strength, particularly with 1% from PVP power requiring 400 rather than 265.