[Books] What to read next?

Hi gang,

So I just finished up The Way of Kings (awesome!) and am trying to decide what my next adventure should be. I've "narrowed it down" to the following:

The Eye of the World
    The Black Prism
    City of Bones
    Mistborn
    Elantris
    The Warded Man

What do you fine ladies and gents recommend?

The Mistborn stuff is the best of what you have linked, but Sanderson is the best author of what you have linked as well. Elantris was his first book, and weaker than the rest but still above average.

Eye of the World is one of Jordan's best, but it is from an age long ago of farmers cum 'choosen ones' and good and evil firmly drawn.

Not really a fan of Weeks, his non-main characters are weak and his plots leave quite a bit to be desired.

The Warded Man is great until you get to the part where the girl is raped by 3 men and her family tells her 'its about time'. Yea. I guess if you are hardcore MRA you might enjoy it but I certainly didn't even finish the book.

Have not read City of Bones.

Just don't read the Dark Tower, whatever you do.

Rant: I'm on book 5 right now (8 book series) and it's just really upsetting because it feels like King focused on the wrong set of characters. Had the books been about Cuthbert, Roland and Alain instead of a legless black woman from the 60s and a junkie from the 80s who spout out cultural references as fast as King's stream of consciousness can conjure them, it would have been a thousand times better, even despite King's crawling writing style.

It's like if instead of Game of Thrones we get assholes from the present teleported into Westeros to do god knows what, talking about Twitter and Facebook and Justin Bieber and every other pop culture bullshit the author can think of while the real characters are just cutout props to the side. And I'm so sick of honky tonk mahfas.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-05-16 at 05:32 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Opinions are great. I think the Dark Tower is amazing, especially the way it ties into most of his other works.

Deleted
    Read the first book of Mistborn trilogy. It is a good book, if for no other reason than the very original magic system, plus its quite a complete book in itself. However, I personally found enough flaws in it that I have put off for a long time reading the rest of the trilogy, especially when my fears were confirmed in reviews of the later books.

Oh and also, if you had a fondness or neutrality towards the word "maladroitly" before you read Mistborn, you may need to put a leather bit in your mouth...

Thanks for the feedback. I got about 1/3 of the way through The Warded Man and I just can't take that book seriously. It has a very cool premise, but you just can't convince me that Man went from the magic age to the science age BACK to the magic age and nobody thought to put wards on themselves. Total disregard for human ingenuity and I'm not buying it.

Anyway, I'll dive into Mistborn, since Sanderson has thoroughly impressed me so far.

As for The Dark Tower, I'm not really a SK fan, so I might read that later....like, bucket list later.

i would suggest you look into getting gardens of the moon which is part of the malazan book of the fallen series by stephen erikson or read the black company by glen cooki
    Last edited by Bigitybones; 2013-05-17 at 02:30 PM.

The Mistborn series is fantastic - but a quick read. I highly recommend it, but Wheel of Time you can't beat for immersion. WoT is good and evil firmly drawn, but most fantasy is and I would never hold that against the story. I will say with WoT, books 1-6 were amazing then Jordan started slowing down. Books 8-11 were almost painful to read. The series doesn't pick up again until Sanderson takes over and he just did amazing things with the last few books. I started reading WoT 20 years ago and it will probably always be my favorite world in which to escape.