Deleted

Renewing mists not near 100% uptime

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at my logs compared to other mistweavers and I can see a clear difference in my renewing mists uptime.
    It should be 100%, but I only see 77% on mine.
    I do hit it on cooldown and I throw the initial hot on a target that isn't affected yet.
    Thunder focus tea is used as much as possible, but I try to delay it for heavy aoe phases.

Our healing team consists of:
    -Druid
    -Monk
    -Shaman (when 3 healers are needed).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q48neghsqrt0azdh/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7xkfxb457kqzhbbp/

Armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Xuen/advanced

Any pointers on how to improve this are welcome.

Cheers,
    Xuen

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Invion View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been looking at my logs compared to other mistweavers and I can see a clear difference in my renewing mists uptime.
    It should be 100%, but I only see 77% on mine.
    I do hit it on cooldown and I throw the initial hot on a target that isn't affected yet.
    Thunder focus tea is used as much as possible, but I try to delay it for heavy aoe phases.

Our healing team consists of:
    -Druid
    -Monk
    -Shaman (when 3 healers are needed).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q48neghsqrt0azdh/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7xkfxb457kqzhbbp/

Armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Xuen/advanced

Any pointers on how to improve this are welcome.

Cheers,
    Xuen
    Hi there! After going through your logs it seems to me, that you're only reading them wrong. When looking at the "Buffs gained" section, you'll see only the buffs affecting you and that shows that you have on Jinrohk a 77% uptime of ReM on yourself. More important: in the "Buffs cast" section you see, that you have 96,9% uptime of ReM raidwide.

Having 100% ReM uptime on yourself could only be achieved be casting it everytime when it's off cd on yourself, resulting in subpar healing...

Deleted
    Thanks for guiding me in the right direction Xylev.

Deleted
    I don't see where your problem is. Looking at ALL pulls on bosses I can see ~96% uptime of your ReM.

Deleted
    @Natu. I was indeed looking at the wrong place in the logfiles. I just assumed seeing that number, that something wasn't right.

Keeping up RM 100% of the time is the ultimate goal (you're at ~96%), but you'll get better feedback on your performance by looking at how many times you cast it during the fight vs how many times you could have. Looking at your Jin'rokh kill, under "buffs cast" you'll see that you cast RM 32 times during the fight. RM has an 8 second CD and the fight lasted 5:43 minutes (343 seconds). Divide the fight length by the CD of RM and you get the maximum number of times you could have cast RM, 343/8=about 42 times. This assumes that you cast your first one right as the fight starts and the last one within 8 seconds of the end of the fight in a perfect scenario. So you missed between 8 and 10 casts by not using it on CD.

Hope this helps, as I feel it gives you a better gauge of your RM usage than simply looking at the uptime of the buff.
    Last edited by Baeric; 2013-05-16 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Grammar

I was always a little confused about this too, I'm taking a look at mine and also his, and you say there should be about 42 casts for RM.

When I go to Details for Xuen - Jin'Rokh Kill - Buffs Cast I see 78, obviously I'm in the wrong area.

What tab should I be looking at?

The figure that I used comes from "power gains." What the RM information there is telling you (I think) is that you gained 32 chi by casting RM. since RM generates one chi per cast, you can use the power gains section to tell how many times you cast that spell. There may be a different way to get this information, but that's how I've seen it explained. Someone more well-versed in WoL can maybe confirm this, but I'm reasonably confident I have it right.

I see the 78 figure as well, and I'm not sure exactly what that indicates. How many times RM bounced to you perhaps? It's definitely not the number of times you cast the spell because the math doesn't add up. It would take a 10 minute fight for that to be the case.
    Last edited by Baeric; 2013-05-16 at 08:30 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the pointers baeric. Comparing with the logs from yesterday I missed ~10 casts of ReM still. I know what I should be working on, so I can improve my performance.

Xuen

Uptime on RM can often be calculated incorrectly. If you want a better metric for your RM usage, take the total fight duration in seconds and divide by 8, and compare to your casts of RM.

Things like TFT can throw things off considerably. If you slack after TFTing, your uptime may not change by much but your total casts will still drop.

I'm also not convinced that %uptime isn't simply calculating when RM is or is not up on *someone* in the raid - which even for poor RM usage could still be up near 100%.

Deleted
    @Dreyo. Now that you mention it. I think that is exactly where my problem is being situated. After TFTing, I start uplifting and cast the ReM when one of them is about to expire, but there I probably miss the on cd part. All makes sence now.

I know I do that, but that's largely because I raid 10m. With TFT the entire raid has RM on it, so I don't have that "ACK! PEOPLE WITHOUT RM!!!! HIT BUTTON!" reflex active. And then it drops off all of them, and sometimes it can be bad. Sometimes it's fine, like Megaera - I TFT just after Rampage starts, and the TFT'd RMs will end after it finishes, but there's minimal raid damage going out during that time so I don't actually gain anything other than chi by using RM during the actual Rampage itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    Uptime on RM can often be calculated incorrectly. If you want a better metric for your RM usage, take the total fight duration in seconds and divide by 8, and compare to your casts of RM.
    This is what I was referring to in my first response, but you stated it more succinctly. What isn't immediately obvious for some is where to find how many times you actually cast RM. That's what I was eluding to in the second response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    I'm also not convinced that %uptime isn't simply calculating when RM is or is not up on *someone* in the raid - which even for poor RM usage could still be up near 100%.
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly right, which is why %uptime doesn't give a very good picture of how well one is using RM and TFT.