Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Lies and more lies. Look at sport irl. People don't play just for the fun, there are millions in rewards and pay on the table.
    And the gear each team uses is generally equal. Which is one of the base requirements for any head to head competition or game.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    if they were better geared they were obviously good at the game

your logic is flawed and you're making excuses because you got your ass kicked multiple times
    If this is indeed the case, then no one who's highly skilled at PvP would have an issue with this, because they'd still win more than they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    And the gear each team uses is generally equal. Which is one of the base requirements for any head to head competition or game..

Stop thinking of it compared to modern day sports with "equal gear" and think of it like Game of Thrones gladiator style shit. You can use whatever gear and weapon suits you, and there will be disparities.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Stop thinking of it compared to modern day sports with "equal gear" and think of it like Game of Thrones gladiator style shit. You can use whatever gear and weapon suits you, and there will be disparities.
    And that makes it a joke of a game.

It's not just modern day sports, it's any legitimate competition or game that's ever been played. The superior players will win based on their skill anyhow, so this is a lot of arguing over anything.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    And that makes it a joke of a game.

It's not just modern day sports, it's any legitimate competition or game that's ever been played. The superior players will win based on their skill anyhow, so this is a lot of arguing over anything.
    A joke of a game because with rewards there would actually be a point to pvping other than to just win and feel all tingly inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    A joke of a game because with rewards there would actually be a point to pvping other than to just win and feel all tingly inside?
    You can always go gank a lowbie. That's got a point, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    That was only the case in the last month and a half. Before that each of your set pieces had different point requirements.
    Yeah, you're right, but then again gear difference wasn't as big of an issue in wrath as it is right now. You could hold your own even if you were out geared. Hell Vilerose got r1 in I believe season 8 with s6 gear, just because he outplayed everyone else. Right now I find it rather difficult to accomplish.

I find it really odd that the <Blood Legion> analogy is used.

You know what? World 1st guilds get their world 1st with less gear than EVERYONE ELSE that needs to gear up to actually achieve it since they're gear up time is far far less.

Interesting no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by resonance7982 View Post
    ..titles, prestige, adding special tabards, cloaks, gear, etc for high ratings. Most people don't pvp for a gear grind. they pvp to pvp and gain the prestige that comes with being good at it. It's all for looks. They want pvp to be on an even field, as it should be. gear should not win fights for you.
    Skill > Gear, couldn't of said it better myself .
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziktus View Post
    I still don't get why people are so mad about them taking gear progression back a notch in PvP.

I thought PvP should be about skill, not gear. Guess I'm wrong and there's a lot of people that feel good when they beat someone because they are better geared instead of just better at playing the game.
    Taking away gear progression totally defeats the purpose of playing an MMO. I've been playing MMO's since I started Everquest in 1999. I quit playing consoles and have never looked back.

I've never had a T2 weapon, but at least it was something to dream about and work towards one day achieving (In arena, I hate RBGs and think they are a detriment to the game).

Now I'm already full S13 gear and it's extremely difficult to find anyone on my server that wants to do anything in arena outside of capping points in 2s. Where is the progression now? The next patch hasn't even hit yet and a lot of people are already fully geared in PvP while everyone doing PvE still has tons lf upgrades to look forward to.

Once again, gear progression is one of the most satisfying things about playing an MMO. It holds true for both PvE and PvP, it's just for some reason they are completely gutting it in PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    First of all, I've started in BC! *Gasp* Secondly, accusing people of entitlement (which is laughable) when it comes to achieving something in PvP is completly ridiculous. Nobody here is demanding that they're handed some kind of rating or anything, you really might want to think about what you're writing before you do.

People here aren't demanding to get something "higher rated" people get, most of them are demanding that people who are far, far lower rated don't get what used to be their rewards for reaching higher ratings. If anything, the people full of entitlement crying that everything should be made accessible have already won and that irks the people who used to have all that delicious stuff for themselves.

The whole pointlesness of pushing rating comes from the fact that there simply are no more even remotely worthwhile rewards left at this point, they are all gone. The only exception being gladiator mounts whom even most multi season gladiators CAN'T GET ANYMORE because the participation dropped to an all time low due to all the changes made in Cataclysm and Pandaria. Were previously you had a whole bunch of teams getting gladiator nowadays the named gladiator is the only gladiator in quite a few realmpools because of low participation.

So unless you are going for rank 1, there aren't any kind of rewards left in Arena or RBG anymore that the guy that just caps points once a week can't get aswell. And yes, this is a problem. If they remove all the prestigious stuff they OUGHT to introduce something to replace them. If they don't want it to be gear, they should introduce more vanity rewards such as mount, pets and seasonal titles that become FoS once the season ends.

you wrote a lot of garbage just to say - 'i want cute gear and if i dont get it i'll take my ball and go home..'

so take off.

you get glad you get something meaningful to you, a title.. there you go if you care about things like that. if you can't make glad then wtf do you want? a cloak for 1750? *clap. why would you care about that? or a beefy weapon so you can flex your epeen about hitting 2200 when it really means jack sh*t. if you like pvp'ing than you like pvp'ing..thats it.

entitlement is feeling you should be rewarded for accomplishing nothing..that is nothing.

There are so many people in this thread who aren't playing WoW for healthy reasons, at all.

Comparing WoW to major league sports? Jesus christ, really? No. Just no. If you gave me a week, I could probably list all the things wrong with that comparison, but let's just stick with the biggest and the worst--WoW will never, EVER be something you can be good enough at to make a living off of. Anyone who does is an extreme statistical outlier compared to the demographic in this discussion thread, so don't even try to use them as justification for some sort of counterpoint to this FACT.

As such, this game should be a HOBBY. You should play because playing it is FUN. Examine your carrot-on-a-stick arguments. "PvP sucks unless we have some progression in better gear! That's the only reason I play!". Seriously? You want the main focus to be progressing to get better gear. Okay, so say you've got your gear. Now what? Well, I guess all that's left to do is...PvP some more! It doesn't unlock any new content. It doesn't bring you anything new. All it is is some empty treadmill to keep you running, making you think there's a point to it all, when really, there isn't. You're left doing the same thing you were doing when you started, only you have some better stats. Congratulations.

This kind of progression is toxic. You want to progress in PvP? It should be about getting better as a PvPer, not getting better gear to give you an edge. You should have an edge because you worked to become better at your class, not because you have higher stats than someone else. You mad someone who has a new 90 killed you, bro? Ideally, it's because he's more skilled than you. Leveling the playing field more brings us closer to that ideal.

I'm sorry, but one of the MOST sickening things about what video games have become is people don't play them for simple enjoyment anymore, because they're not designed that way these days. Hell, RPG elements are practically a "seasoning" tossed in to every game type, even FPS games, because developers know they can skimp on quality and creativity if they add some sense of "progression" to keep people hooked. Case in point: Call of Duty. Same fucking game, every time, the progression elements just get changed up a bit with the gameplay remaining stagnant and stale, yet people keep buying it. I wish I was dumb enough to enjoy what gaming has become.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
    There are so many people in this thread who aren't playing WoW for healthy reasons, at all.

Comparing WoW to major league sports? Jesus christ, really? No. Just no. If you gave me a week, I could probably list all the things wrong with that comparison, but let's just stick with the biggest and the worst--WoW will never, EVER be something you can be good enough at to make a living off of. Anyone who does is an extreme statistical outlier compared to the demographic in this discussion thread, so don't even try to use them as justification for some sort of counterpoint to this FACT.

As such, this game should be a HOBBY. You should play because playing it is FUN. Examine your carrot-on-a-stick arguments. "PvP sucks unless we have some progression in better gear! That's the only reason I play!". Seriously? You want the main focus to be progressing to get better gear. Okay, so say you've got your gear. Now what? Well, I guess all that's left to do is...PvP some more! It doesn't unlock any new content. It doesn't bring you anything new. All it is is some empty treadmill to keep you running, making you think there's a point to it all, when really, there isn't. You're left doing the same thing you were doing when you started, only you have some better stats. Congratulations.

This kind of progression is toxic. You want to progress in PvP? It should be about getting better as a PvPer, not getting better gear to give you an edge. You should have an edge because you worked to become better at your class, not because you have higher stats than someone else. You mad someone who has a new 90 killed you, bro? Ideally, it's because he's more skilled than you. Leveling the playing field more brings us closer to that ideal.

I'm sorry, but one of the MOST sickening things about what video games have become is people don't play them for simple enjoyment anymore, because they're not designed that way these days. Hell, RPG elements are practically a "seasoning" tossed in to every game type, even FPS games, because developers know they can skimp on quality and creativity if they add some sense of "progression" to keep people hooked. Case in point: Call of Duty. Same fucking game, every time, the progression elements just get changed up a bit with the gameplay remaining stagnant and stale, yet people keep buying it. I wish I was dumb enough to enjoy what gaming has become.
    i fkn love this post, if i could +rep here i would <3.

i also should have been more clear from the start with my own post - i'm not against rewards as a whole; i'm against incentives being the reason people step into arenas.

i like the part where people compare wow arena to professional sports. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    I just can't resist not to comment. Don't you all start with the same gear? Who's fault is that you got outgeared?
    I just can't resist not to comment. Are you seriously saying that it's their fault that they are outgeared? Don't throw the problem somewhere else that doesn't need to be.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The casuals are what pay for most of the content, fyi.....your elitist attitude misses that part of the equation.
    None. You are ultimately treated the same as the noob who finds a mate in trade every week for quick points. Blame the casuals that wanted to get the same gear above average players get, just like they want to get the same gear raiders get. PvP and PvE ruined because of spoiled kids.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 05:49 PM ----------

I love how people call NASCAR a sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canderous1 View Post
    i like the part where people compare wow arena to professional sports. haha.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Titles, fun, cosmetic gear.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you're trying to say that skill>gear is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajek View Post
    I find it really odd that the <Blood Legion> analogy is used.

You know what? World 1st guilds get their world 1st with less gear than EVERYONE ELSE that needs to gear up to actually achieve it since they're gear up time is far far less.

Interesting no?
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol that is the day I officially quit

what I liked about wow is that it valued talent and skill. LFR already makes raiding almost effortless, every noob gets arena gear too. There's no sense of accomplishment anymore
    The accomplishment lies in beating a good opponent. If you can't beat "noobs" in free or cheap gear what makes you think you can compete with truly skilled players?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    why is there pve gear progression but not for pvp?you high skilled pvers need better gear then the rest of wow?why?i want to do end game raids but gearing up for it is to hard,change it.its not fair,it supposed to be about fun,its all about skill not gear.RF should have the same gear as heroic raids,not everyone has the time to waste raiding herioc 25 man raids every day.not every one belongs to top end raiding guilds.

see how fuckign dumb that sounds?thats all you pvers are saying about gear scaling in pvp.stop crying the game is in easy mode now compared to what it once was.maybe thats why wow has been going down hill since wrath.o thats right you tell me in wrong about that to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    why is there pve gear progression but not for pvp?you high skilled pvers need better gear then the rest of wow?why?i want to do end game raids but gearing up for it is to hard,change it.its not fair,it supposed to be about fun,its all about skill not gear.RF should have the same gear as heroic raids,not everyone has the time to waste raiding herioc 25 man raids every day.not every one belongs to top end raiding guilds.

see how fuckign dumb that sounds?thats all you pvers are saying about gear scaling in pvp.stop crying the game is in easy mode now compared to what it once was.maybe thats why wow has been going down hill since wrath.o thats right you tell me in wrong about that to.
    Holy run on sentence with terrible punctuation Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.