Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #181
    Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Behind the Pillar
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    if u are doing arena for gear, u are doing it wrong
    i agree so much
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Says the communist regime? CS was the biggest trend, the most played game, for at least a good 5 years (2000-2005).
    I played CS during those years. I spent the majority of the time playing knife-only maps, crazy vehicle maps, and jump maps. CS might've been all those things that you said but that doesn't mean it was a perfect game, just the best game at the time.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    Im sure if wow made it so gear did not matter at all, fewer people would do pvp and queues would be longer.
    I am not sure. It would certainly be insentive for new players/ppl who don't pvp often to give it a shot. To side track a bit I have to go back to lvl 10 when a new player joins his first BG to witness characters with health pools 3-4 times bigger than his who kill him with a single ability ... in the spirit of old school MMORPG PvP that's fair competition since once he gets to lvl 90, farms a few BoAs and rolls an alt he will be on equal footing. Random BGs on lvl 90 are the same. If you don't play pvp often and join one you have to fight difference of experience, possible class imbalance and impossible gear imbalance. How fun is that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    While I can understand this shift, I am still confused as to how having gear progression completely removes the skill and class component to PvP. In my opinion it doesn't remove it at all, it just creates a gearing reward aspect so you can't just ding 90, have full gear, and the point of the game is no longer to better your character but to just "play." Gets boring fast from what I've seen with other games.
    I didn't say it removes it. It's gearing up&skill&class vs just skill&class. The point about becoming boring ... that's a more basic problem with WoW PvP. Gear works as a cover up to lessen that issue, but that problem should be fixed differently.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  4. #184
    The direction that this "level playing field" mentality has taken the game:

    From having very distinct spec trees with 60-70 points to place in different areas ----> The new 6 tier, one point per tier system to essentially choose abilities and that's it
    Having requirements for getting the "best" pvp gear in the game at the time ----> No requirements and one can sit on 10 arenas per week and fully gear

    Gear gaps meant a player really cared about pvp and tried harder than sitting in a 1k bracket to get 10 wins.


    If you want a level playing field, consider this -

    WoW now has 3 classes. Melee, Ranged, Healer. They all are created as level 90s, and there is no reason to ever visit any of the zones in the game. Each class has 1 and only one spec, and no select-able talents. All gear is equalized and every class has the same stats. Every arena team now is 100% cookie cutter and requires 1 of each class to compete. You now just face mirrors with the exact same gear and abilities. If you win, your reward is telling people you beat more mirrors than they beat you. No one cares (similar to current WoW). You go to log on every day and rethink it because everything is exactly the same except for said "skill."


    Or were you suggesting there should be more than just "skill" and "class" variety?

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Gear "unfairness" is nothing more than one person spending more time and effort making their character better than someone else. It has nothing to do with "fairness". Class balance, however, certainly does. But that's not what we're talking about.

    The argument "Give everyone the same gear to make pvp balanced" is about the most flawed thing I've seen yet in attempts to balance pvp in the game. Horrible, ultra-casual player argument. If you want something like that go play guildwars or one of the many other failed attempts at dethroning WoW. They failed for a reason.
    Look outside the realm of mmorpgs, and you'll find that all pvp games considered worthwhile do as much as they can to provide an even playing field, and let skill be the number 1 determining outcome of a match. You can twist this however you like, but that's simply a fact that you seem keen to ignore.

    There's nothing here to be 'dethroned'. In the overall scope of PvP games, WoW isn't taken very seriously, and gear is part of the reason why. GW2 has it's own problems, but gear imbalance isn't one of them.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Imagine if LFR, or even heroic raiding didn't award any gear/upgrades... what would a good 70% of the WoW playing population say about that? They would quit because everyone expects to be rewarded for accomplishing things. Otherwise there would be no reason to do it, unless you say you feel great about killing computer generated mobs because.... nevermind. It's not about "pvp for the fun you idiots," it's about having a challenging goal, reaching it, and getting something for your time, effort, and accomplishment.
    PVE is not a competitive mode. The NPCs don't care about what's fair to them. This is why PVE has gear progression and why PVP shouldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    If I wanted to just kill people and feel good I'd go play more call of duty (which may still give more rewards than the current WoW pvp system).
    So go play more CoD then? It sucks that you're unable to enjoy WoW's PVP without gear progression.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    And as far as the "everyone should be on a level playing field" goes, I really can't agree with that either. I know alts are great fun and all, but there shouldn't be a system that is so easy to gear up an alt that in a week you can have full, fairly viable pvp gear... and then you ride out week by week doing 10 arena matches and getting the best pvp in the game with no requirement whatsoever. And now with the conquest catchup system you can pretty much have half of the best pvp gear in the game in a week.
    God forbid we can spend less time grinding and more time having fun.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Look outside the realm of mmorpgs, and you'll find that all pvp games considered worthwhile do as much as they can to provide an even playing field, and let skill be the number 1 determining outcome of a match.
    And that's why those games have a fraction of the success of WoW. None of those games are worth playing to many people because they really are pointless when you don't gain anything for playing and can never improve your character. Like I said, even FPS' have adopted more character customization and upgrades. Do you think someone with a much better weapon they have unlocked is "geared" and more overpowered than someone who just started playing that FPS and has a shit weapon? Absolutely. Doesn't stop the success and desire of achievable items in those games either.

  8. #188
    I think you underestimate how important it is for many people to have something to work for. Sure, in the beginning it's frustrating joining bgs without any gear. After getting a few items you feel stronger and stronger though.

    Gear is not EVERYTHING. Bad players will still do bad with best gear and good players will aquire good gear quickly.
    Follow me on twitter @crusadernero
    Nero - Human Retribution Paladin on Burning Blade EU.

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    And that's why those games have a fraction of the success of WoW.
    WoW's success isn't built on pvp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Like I said, even FPS' have adopted more character customization and upgrades. Do you think someone with a much better weapon they have unlocked is "geared" and more overpowered than someone who just started playing that FPS and has a shit weapon? Absolutely. Doesn't stop the success and desire of achievable items in those games either.
    Those games are shit too.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    WoW's success isn't built on pvp.



    Those games are shit too.
    Black Ops II grossed $1 billion in the first 15 days of sale. Someone doesn't think that type of game is shit, and from what I've seen they get more and more successful when they add in the RPG elements right... because it makes it more of an achievement based PvP experience.

  11. #191
    Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    2,896
    There's no strong argument for why there shouldn't be rating requirement on gear... the only argument I heard that I can understand is that people suck at PvP and want the best gear... aside from that, it's pitiful arguments like even playing field... If you're arguing about even playing field... chances are you suck at PvP. If I'm at 2500 mmr, I'll be facing people with the best gear... if you're 1300 mmr, you're not going to be facing gladiators or people with the best gear... you'd end up facing bad players who have gear equal to yours. What other arguments can someone attempt to make? There aren't any good ones. Bad players ruining the game for everyone. You don't see blizzard giving raiders loot for almost killing a boss... "oh darn, you were so close, 5%? W/e, we'll just give you the loot." it's the same concept for arena. If you don't win, you don't get the rating to buy better gear. Failing should push you to be better and to win... but I don't blame everyone who quits PvP... PvP sucks at the moment and will continue to do so because blizzard doesn't care about PvP.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  12. #192
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Isnt the whole point of playing pvp, just to have fun?
    No, the gear progression is the point: so people of lesser skill can have a chance against specs more powerful than their own and have a reason to play, not because they want to but because they're mind controlled by a carrot. A summary of the nay-sayer arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    There's no strong argument for why there shouldn't be rating requirement on gear... the only argument I heard that I can understand is that people suck at PvP and want the best gear... aside from that, it's pitiful arguments like even playing field... If you're arguing about even playing field... chances are you suck at PvP. If I'm at 2500 mmr, I'll be facing people with the best gear... if you're 1300 mmr, you're not going to be facing gladiators or people with the best gear... you'd end up facing bad players who have gear equal to yours. What other arguments can someone attempt to make? There aren't any good ones. Bad players ruining the game for everyone. You don't see blizzard giving raiders loot for almost killing a boss... "oh darn, you were so close, 5%? W/e, we'll just give you the loot." it's the same concept for arena. If you don't win, you don't get the rating to buy better gear. Failing should push you to be better and to win... but I don't blame everyone who quits PvP... PvP sucks at the moment and will continue to do so because blizzard doesn't care about PvP.
    PvP in this game extends beyond rated matches. Not quite sure how skilled players can possibly be threatened by the removal of gear disparity, but hey.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    PvP in this game extends beyond rated matches.
    Not by much, because there is no POINT to doing other types of it... WPvP dead for years, anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Not quite sure how skilled players can possibly be threatened by the removal of gear disparity, but hey.
    None of us are arguing we're "threatened" by it - giving away free gear just saturates the entire rating scale, and honestly you end up with UNSKILLED people, able to do more because of the gear they got without gaining skill, but rather just playing week by week. Then you get every DK, rogue, and hunter in the game for example with full tyrannical, and because the way classes are built, they can still destroy someone with little to no skill because of their gear.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Not by much, because there is no POINT to doing other types of it... WPvP dead for years, anyone?



    None of us are arguing we're "threatened" by it - giving away free gear just saturates the entire rating scale, and honestly you end up with UNSKILLED people, able to do more because of the gear they got without gaining skill, but rather just playing week by week. Then you get every DK, rogue, and hunter in the game for example with full tyrannical, and because the way classes are built, they can still destroy someone with little to no skill because of their gear.
    Basically what you're saying is, that you can't win if you don't outgear people? Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Basically what you're saying is, that you can't win if you don't outgear people? Sad.
    Please stop trolling.


    Mod Edit: Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-05-20 at 08:56 PM.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Please stop trolling.
    I'm not trolling. He said it plain and simple. He can't beat "bad" players if he don't outgear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

  18. #198
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    Not by much, because there is no POINT to doing other types of it... WPvP dead for years, anyone?
    WoW is pointless, life is arguably pointless. Just because something doesn't have a point it doesn't mean we can't enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  19. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    There's no strong argument for why there shouldn't be rating requirement on gear... the only argument I heard that I can understand is that people suck at PvP and want the best gear... aside from that, it's pitiful arguments like even playing field... If you're arguing about even playing field... chances are you suck at PvP. If I'm at 2500 mmr, I'll be facing people with the best gear... if you're 1300 mmr, you're not going to be facing gladiators or people with the best gear... you'd end up facing bad players who have gear equal to yours. What other arguments can someone attempt to make? There aren't any good ones. Bad players ruining the game for everyone.

    You don't see blizzard giving raiders loot for almost killing a boss... "oh darn, you were so close, 5%? W/e, we'll just give you the loot." it's the same concept for arena. If you don't win, you don't get the rating to buy better gear. Failing should push you to be better and to win... but I don't blame everyone who quits PvP... PvP sucks at the moment and will continue to do so because blizzard doesn't care about PvP.
    Seriously, more comparison of PVE to PVP? Funnily enough, you DO see Blizzard doing exactly what you said, they did it when they created LFR.

    Also, try to understand that PVP does and should exist outside of ranked systems, just like every other multiplayer game; and these unranked systems should have the same balance.

  20. #200
    WoW will always be a PvE first game whether you agree with that or not. The majority of the playerbase PvE's especially with LFR coming out in Cata. Since the majority are PvE players they want to try to get them to experience PvP and thus are making it easy to do. I think it's dumb but that's my opinion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •