5.3 Pally Tanking / Still the best?

"Also, with patch 5.3, there'll be some adjustments to certain Paladin abilities, including a nerf to Shield of the Righteous and Glyph of the Battle Healer (which was meant for Retribution Paladins to begin with). "

Im curious to know what others think about this, without there being any solid adjustment stated yet as to what the reduction will be, do you think a nerf to SoTR will reduce prot pally viability in raids? My concern is that I'm currently trying to decide on what tank to roll and pally seems the best bet, unless this causes the dmg taken to greatly increase and battle healing to greatly reduce.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be curious to find out too. Not that I am a raid tank, but I like to know when Prot gets better, or gets nerfed.

There are threads on the Paladin forums that discusses this.

However, TL;DR - this isn't a game breaker for prot paladins.

Go to the convert to raid podcast website and listen to the most recent episode, they have guest host Lore covering for Coltrain and they bring in Sloot from midwinter to explain how to play a paladin tank to its fullest potential, Lore also plays a paladin.

From what I have seen bear tanks are at the bottom of the pile, the rest are pretty even and bring different tricks to the floor that could be advantagous to different bosses, like a pally tank not needing to tank swap on horridon and a warrior being ideal due to movement abilities on Lei shen. But ultimately it comes down to skill and not class or gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    It totally depends on you. I still think that Druid tanks are just BEASTS in tanking. And they got their mastery buffed by 33% that will surely bring them in top ranks among raid tanks. But again it your choice what you like and what class gives you pleasure to play. If you are good player, know your class quite good it doesnt matter which tank you will be, there always will be a place for a good tank in raids! Some people doesnt like Tanks that shapeshift. Personally I dont like Death Knights because I feel they are too evil for me.

Once again think what class you like and pick that one. I do not believe that there are something called "BEST TANKS".
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Go to the convert to raid podcast website and listen to the most recent episode, they have guest host Lore covering for Coltrain and they bring in Sloot from midwinter to explain how to play a paladin tank to its fullest potential, Lore also plays a paladin.
    Will have to check this out tonight when I get home.

The CTR interview with Sloot was great. He covers almost every aspect of paladin tanking and it's a great resource for any paladin tank. (Although, he uses a lot of paladin jargon that may be confusing for those that aren't familiar with prot paladins).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    It totally depends on you. I still think that Druid tanks are just BEASTS in tanking. And they got their mastery buffed by 33% that will surely bring them in top ranks among raid tanks. But again it your choice what you like and what class gives you pleasure to play. If you are good player, know your class quite good it doesnt matter which tank you will be, there always will be a place for a good tank in raids! Some people doesnt like Tanks that shapeshift. Personally I dont like Death Knights because I feel they are too evil for me.
    As a bear tank myself I'll have to agree we're in a pretty good place atm (sitting on top of damage meters most encounters, not having any particular issues staying alive doing so). I'm not entirely sure what the idea behind the mastery buff in 5.3 is. I'm already sitting at 70% reduction from armor in 528 gear and that is without reforging into mastery AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    Once again think what class you like and pick that one. I do not believe that there are something called "BEST TANKS".
    Totally agree, all tank classes are viable, pick whichever you think has the play style that suits you most.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    like a pally tank not needing to tank swap on horridon
    Any tank can do this, has less to do with the tank being a paladin and more to do with just having a paladin of whatever spec in the raid.