Deleted

Not sure what the different types of motherboards mean!

Hi I want to buy a new motherboard however I am not sure which is which..

I am looking at the Intel ones and on Aria.co.uk I noticed that they are categorized into the following:

B75
    H77
    Z77
    X79

These letters at the start usually mean something such not being able to OC for example but I am not entirely sure what they mean exactly so can anyone help me? Thank you!

Deleted
    they usually refer to the chipset and socket type.
    B is locked from overclocking and usually budget boards. (socket 1155)
    H middle of the pack feature wise but can overclock fine. (1155 aswell)
    Z highest tier of boards most features and overclocking extra's for some boards aswell. (1155)

X79 is the general chipset for socket 2011.

what current CPU do you have that you want a new mobo for?

Deleted
    Thank you that was very useful, much appreciated!

EDIT: The board is for an i5 2500k sandy bridge.
    Last edited by mmoc2c0e080e79; 2013-05-16 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    words
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    picture
    Useless for understanding the fundamentals.

B75 = Socket 1155 for IB/SB, CPU overclocking capped to +4 turbo, no RAID, no SSD caching
    H77 = Socket 1155 for IB/SB, CPU overclocking capped to +4 turbo, RAID, SSD caching
    Z77 = Socket 1155 for IB/SB, CPU overclocking uncapped, RAID, SSD caching

X79 = Socket 2011 board meant for i7-3820, i7-3930K, i7-3960X, i7-3970X only

And for completeness' sake:

H61 = Socket 1155 for SB*, CPU overclocking capped to +4 turbo, no RAID, no SSD caching
    H67 = Socket 1155 for SB*, CPU overclocking capped to +4 turbo, RAID, no SSD caching
    P67 = Socket 1155 for SB*, CPU overclocking uncapped, RAID, no SSD caching, no integrated graphics
    Z68 = Socket 1155 for SB*, CPU overclocking uncapped, RAID, SSD caching

*61-68 boards may support Ivy Bridge processors with BIOS patch but it's not guaranteed.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-05-17 at 08:06 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    For TLDR, adding to what Vesseblah stated
    B75 = Used for non-K models (ex: i3s, i5 3550, 3470, 3570, i7 3770), Cannot OC (I don't consider Turbo as OC)
    H77 = Not really used for any reason. B75 is cheaper, and nobody really uses SSD caching. Oftne found in pre-builts.
    Z77 = Used for 3570K/3770K for OC (Z75 does the same thing and is cheaper, usually. Doesn't support SSD Caching either. Very few 'great' quality Z75s though)
    X79 = Used for i7 Extreme CPUs
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post

what kind of budget do you have and are you planning to overclock?
    also what hardware do you currently have?

@vesseblah , only thing you did include was the exact features and older series mobo's -_- still the same for the OP......

Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post

A Z68 MB would be a perfect fit for the 2500k if you can still find one. If not then go for a Z77.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    H77 = Not really used for any reason. B75 is cheaper, and nobody really uses SSD caching. Oftne found in pre-builts.
    There's also small difference in number of USB3/SATA3 ports between B and H models that I omitted which might be interesting for people making file servers, but for gamers it's of no consequence. B75 would indeed be better if those can be found. Could be hard from small local stores.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    @vesseblah , only thing you did include was the exact features and older series mobo's -_- still the same for the OP......
    No, you said H77 is oveclockable which is outright wrong and the only difference between Z77 and H77 chipsets. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc could make exact same boards with same number of USB's, SATA's, PCIe lanes etc around either chipset but it's pointless for multiplier locked H77 since those wouldn't sell. Intel actually does these high end H77 boards in small quantities but the prices are at Z77 level or even higher.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    B75 CPU overclocking capped to +4 turbo
    H77 CPU overclocking capped to +4 turbo
    Been looking into whether B75 and H77 can be overclocked. The non-forum links I can find say that B75 and H77 are not OC chipsets.

http://service.msicomputer.com/html/...esoformid=3041

ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/B75%20Pro3.pdf - Page 9 - "Due to chipset limitations, overclocking is not supported."

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...84_P8H77-V.pdf - Page 67 - 2.4.1 Ai Overclock Tuner - Mentions BCLK/PEG but not multipliers
    (Compare to http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...74_P8Z77-V.pdf - Page 80 - 3.4 Ai Overclock Tuner - Mentions core ratios)
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-05-17 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Been looking into whether B75 and H77 can be overclocked. The non-forum links I can find say that B75 and H77 are not OC chipsets.
    Intel talks about CPU turbo multipliers as overclocking in this context even thought users will not consider it as such. i5-2500 runs at 3.3GHz normal speed but the turbo overclocks it to 3.7GHz or +4 multipliers is what they mean with B75 and H77 chipsets. So it's just easier to say those aren't overclockable than go into detailed explanation.

In hindsight I should've dropped that bit from my little chart above for the same reason.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-05-17 at 09:35 AM.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    overclocking in the end pretty much comes down the definition it holds to different people.
    i just went with the most basic assumption of overclocking as in making it run faster compared to stock clocks. (if that's via multi/blck not being the point)
    still for the OP i think it will likely be a Z68/Z77 board but we need some more info to confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Intel talks about CPU turbo multipliers as overclocking in this context even thought users will not consider it as such. i5-2500 runs at 3.3GHz normal speed but the turbo overclocks it to 3.7GHz or +4 multipliers is what they mean with B75 and H77 chipsets.
    When you say a i5-2500 can turbo to 3.7 Ghz, do you mean 4C or 1C? According to the i5 turbo table, 3.7 for 1C is standard (and not indicative of a +4 limited unlock overclock).

From what I have read, B75/H77 chipsets support turbo, but not the limited unlock overclock extension of turbo capable CPUs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was sort of stupid when I first got my 3570K, and 'overclocked' it to 3.8. Not realizing my Turbo was set to 3.8. So basically it sat at 3.8, doing the same performance it did before during gaming.

Now it's back to 3.4 and 4.5 turbo... Anytime a game isn't running, it drops to 1.6.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab