View Poll Results: Amount suing for Excessive or Justified?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excessive

111 75.00%
  • Justified

37 25.00%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Nothing wrong with the way the police were handling the situation. You've been told someone is flashing a fun in public, you find a man doing such a thing, who refuses to co-operate with any form of investigation.

I assure you, if this was the man in question, and the police didn't take this course of action, people would be furious at the police. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    He could as well be committing a crime of possessing an illegal weapon.
    This point is the problem I have with the logic behind the open carry law. It's essentially just a shield for criminals. Carrying a gun shouldn't be considered suspicious, but carrying a gun in an unusual location/time and refusing to identify yourself should be considered suspicious.

IMO, the law is too vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    He could as well be committing a crime of possessing an illegal weapon.
    too bad the law is that just having a gun and open carrying is not ground for probable cause the cops were wrong i hope this guy wins maybe then cops will learn the laws they are supposed to uphold
    Well now I don't read that daily news
    'Cause it ain't hard to figure
    Where people get the blues
    They can't dig what they can't use
    If they stick to themselves
    They'd be much less abused

At least in Germany you are required to identify you when asked to do so by the police (read: always).

Now, this happened in Ohio. Laws are different. However, I don't see the big deal here, that warrants a multi million dollar case. I am especially not buying his emotional trauma bullshit. The officers used zero force according to OP and merely denied him walking away verbally.

He was in the right to complain, but this is just too much.

Excessive. Both sides did stupid things and are partially at fault. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Sure, it would have gone smoother (and thus, likely not made the news...) if he had, in fact, cooperated with police. But he was within his rights not to, as it was a consensual encounter.
    Because he refused to cooperate though, he escalated the situation and therefore should be awarded jack and shit in his lawsuit.

The cops maybe had no cause to talk to him, but the man had no cause to freak out either.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

He is in the right. Gun never left its holster, he never did anything that looked like a robbery. The officer detained and disarmed him without cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Because he refused to cooperate though, he escalated the situation and therefore should be awarded jack and shit in his lawsuit.

The cops maybe had no cause to talk to him, but the man had no cause to freak out either.
    he was well within his rights to deny the to see any id on his person he was doing noting that dictated probable cause he was illegally detained and disarmed the cops are in the wrong they broke the law which they are in place to uphold along with getting money in the lawsuit the cops involved should be fired
    Well now I don't read that daily news
    'Cause it ain't hard to figure
    Where people get the blues
    They can't dig what they can't use
    If they stick to themselves
    They'd be much less abused

This story is fucked up on so many levels I don't even know where to begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    he was well within his rights to deny the to see any id on his person he was doing noting that dictated probable cause he was illegally detained and disarmed the cops are in the wrong they broke the law which they are in place to uphold along with getting money in the lawsuit the cops involved should be fired
    So 3.6 mil is a decent amount of money to ask for because he spent 5 minutes in handcuffs and had the charges dropped after a month? He didnt even go to jail, he walked away from that convenient store intact but only after he refused to say "I have a permit to carry" and then showing them the ID on what? Principle? Thats just stubborn and stupid. I would be a little pissed off but I wouldnt be suffering emotional trauma and if you are suffering from emotional trauma then you shouldnt have a gun. He is asking for 3 million because the police asked him about his gun and he is asking for 600 k because it upset him.
    Last edited by Dark Exerus; 2013-05-18 at 05:23 AM.

I was searching for additional information on Speedway policy on firearms and ran across the following:

I was entering my local Speedway this evening and noticed a
    small sign stating "Firearms and other deadly weapons are strictly
    prohibited on these premises."

Is this a corporate policy or the rule of this individual store?

Thank You,
    xxxxx xxxxxxxxx

October 13, 2010

Dear xxxx xxxxxxx,

This is an acknowledgement of your E-mail. It is a companywide policy
    that firearms and other deadly weapons are prohibited at our Speedway
    SuperAmerica locations.

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We are always interested in
    hearing from our customers whatever the reason.

Sincerely,
    Sarah
    Speedway SuperAmerica LLC Customer Service

So firearms are not allowed in Speedway stores and in OH that has the weight of law. I will assume that the store in question had a sign in place as that is their corporate policy.