Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to gain weight

Hi guys, i have a friend that's really skinny and he want to gain weight, the problem is that his family doesn't have a lot of money..., he mostly eat bread and drink oat, so.... do you guys know any cheap way to gain weight? (he's trying to get a job but he don't have to much time to work thanks to the college)

Deleted
    Eat more calories than you consume.

keep eating, but stop pooping.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I heard on the radio yesterday there is some new pills that make you gain weight but idk the price tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suizid View Post
    Eat more calories than you consume.
    ...than you burn off...

Deleted
    Protein shakes in between meals, less cardio exercises, more strengh exercises, sleep more and eat correctly plenty of red meat/fish/chicken... I am no pro but my dad and bother are meatheads and that's how they manage I think

10+ Year Old Account
    He could buy beans and brown rice, that stuff is cheap and is good protein and carbs and a good amount of calories. To gain weight he just has to eat at a calorie surplus like others have said. So say his body burns 2000 calories, he could eat 2400 (or anything over 2000) and gain weight. Fats are more calorie dense than protein and carbs so nuts (peanuts, almonds, etc.) would be good. Olive oil too. If he wants to gain lean muscle he'll need to work out obviously and eat at least 1g protein per pound of lean body mass but that's a whole other thing. I don't know how much money he actually has but I'm guessing supplements are out of the question...anyways drinking milk (especially whole milk) would be good too and any dairy in general since it's high in calories, protein and fat.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I'm assuming from the ambiguity of the OP that his friend is skinny and has never exercised before. Whether or not he wants to gain weight in terms of muscle, I'll just assume so. In that case, protein protein protein. Whether from supermarket rotisserie chicken to beans, consume protein. Throw in some vegetables (canned or frozen works too) and grains (rice, bread, pasta) and the gain will come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    I'm assuming from the ambiguity of the OP that his friend is skinny and has never exercised before. Whether or not he wants to gain weight in terms of muscle, I'll just assume so. In that case, protein protein protein. Whether from supermarket rotisserie chicken to beans, consume protein. Throw in some vegetables (canned or frozen works too) and grains (rice, bread, pasta) and the gain will come.
    Yeah, the problem with the proteins, is that they are quite expensive... he have no money (Actually his family is poor, he only eat: bread and oats....)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Yeah, the problem with the proteins, is that they are quite expensive... he have no money (Actually his family is poor, he only eat: bread and oats....)
    Well if they dont have much money he needs to find cheap protein and high calorie food.

Im just gonna list stuff that is cheap and gives you good amount of calories:

Egg, beans, brown rice, white rice, lensils, yams, nuts, Protein powder, Canned tuna, milk, cottage cheese, pig liver(is usally cheap). And in addition he can look into canned meat, he just has to look at the nutrion description and find something with high protein.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    keep eating, but stop pooping.
    Made me chuckle

Anyway i suggest your friend to eat clean if he wants that additional weight be something else than blubber. No idea how much food costs in where you live. Dominican Republic i assume from your location. Oats are good and should be cheap where-ever you live so keep those. If id have to list some cheap and rich protein sources id think eggs and tuna should be pretty cheap no matter where you live. As long as its outside north korea atleast. Make him take a sip of canola oil every lunch to get some extra calories with excellent source of good fats.

My 5 cents anyway. If money would be no issue then giving meal advice would be much easier obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Like... how poor? How much do they have to spend on groceries each week?

Deleted
    Put sugar on/in everything you eat/drink and you'll gain weight no matter who you are. Also very cheap! Sugar contains around 400kcals per 100g and won't give you the same sensation of being full as other foods (such as nuts!) will give you, as the body can very rapidly consume the sugar.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-05-17 at 09:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    check some sports nutrition stores or sites for some close-out or near-expiration mass-gainers, high cal/high carb weight-gainers.

but yea, eat more basically, compare prices find a way to get more cals for cheaper.

Deleted
    Eat irregularly and only once or twice a day preferably at night time. Your diet? A lot of White bread, pasta and cheese.
    You'll be fat as a pig come Christmas!

maybe you just to eat on time and sleep a lot! haha

It depends where you live but organ meats (liver, kidney, etc.) and chicken hearts are usually really cheap in comparison. They're also REALLY good sources of protein.

If he's only eating bread and oats, he's getting nutrition deficiencies. If poverty is restricting his options, there's probably more important things to be dealing with than trying to gain mass...

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind when taking advice about gaining weight, to go ahead and do it in a manner which is healthy.

Your friend could drink soda all day every day and McDonalds 4x a day to gain weight but that's not healthy at all.

You still need a solid and nutritional diet.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

When you say weight I assume you mean muscle and not fat. Tell him to get those packs of like 60 eggs from Costco (only like 6 or 7 bucks for a whole pack so much cheaper than pills, meat, or protein powder). Have him eat 6-10 eggs throughout the day to supplement his normal diet and he should start to bulk up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabian View Post
    When you say weight I assume you mean muscle and not fat. Tell him to get those packs of like 60 eggs from Costco (only like 6 or 7 bucks for a whole pack so much cheaper than pills, meat, or protein powder). Have him eat 6-10 eggs throughout the day to supplement his normal diet and he should start to bulk up a bit.
    I doubt they have Costco in the Dominican Republic.