Poll: What are your sub predictions for Q2, 2013?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    There is something that I don't understand. People say that the losses from china are trivial, since the subscription price is lower. I'm no expert in finnances, but as a Taxation lawyer, I'm wondering that, yes, the prices might be lower, but the cost to keep the game running (taxes and other fees) are also lower than in america, making, imho, wow very profitable in china, as much at it is in america.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakesong View Post
    There is something that I don't understand. People say that the losses from china are trivial, since the subscription price is lower. I'm no expert in finnances, but as a Taxation lawyer, I'm wondering that, yes, the prices might be lower, but the cost to keep the game running (taxes and other fees) are also lower than in america, making, imho, wow very profitable in china, as much at it is in america.
    Blizzard don't actually operate WOW in China they license it to a company called Netease who incur all the expenses in China the fees that Blizzard receive from Netease, although less per account than Western subs, is almost pure profit.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post

I'm not more a sycophant for Blizzard than you and the other haters are for GW2 or any other game people decide to claim is better than Wow or killing Wow. Just because I'm not jumping up and down screaming frothing at the mouth whenever Blizzard does or says anything doesn't make me a fanboy or anything else. In all honesty if you people hate Blizzard and Wow so much then MOVE THE FUCK ON ALREADY. There is NO reason to be on these forums day in day out bitching and whining and moaning and sniveling about a game all of you have made clear you consider subpar and a waste of time. If that is how you truly feel put your money where your mouth is and GTFO.
    Man, you are as bad as BenBos when it comes to literacy. You claim I hate WoW, and yet...

Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    That said, I agree. Quarterly sub numbers are a complete double-edged sword. On the one hand, having a static number attracts potential customers, but on the other, it also brings in detractors. In my opinion, either one is venom. If you are playing a game for the numbers, then there is a problem.
    Oh, and let us not forget...

Agreed. Doesn't mean WoW is a bad game or anything, but it does mean that 8.3 million is a PR number. You'll only ever see half, if that, during your tenure as a subscriber.
    So contemplating on how sub numbers are a double-edged blade, and outright saying WoW isn't a bad game, is hating now? You're a sycophant, plain and simple, and anything you say should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quoted for relevance:

dat brand of xanzul illiteracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I find it very "dumb" to compare these 8.3 million subs with games ...which have ZERO subs...
    I know I'm essentially talking to a brick wall here, but you won't ever see that 8.3 million. It is a PR number, and a shareholder number. The most you will ever play with is half that number, if even that. Caring about how many play a game is as asinine. Just play what you enjoy.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2013-05-19 at 12:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To everyone, I think WoW subs will go up like crazy in next expansion.

Hear me out first:

What i think, is that WoW is losing subs in china because it lost it uniqueness since MoP.
    Gameplay is fine its still the same but, in China WoW was different it wasn't like the rest of these chinese MMO's.
    But now it is!, and they will ofcourse go to a better chinese MMO if they can, and now they are doing that!

But i think if next expansion is burning legion, i wouldn't even be surprised if those 4-5M pple who left, like 2M will return atleast?
    WoW is unique again for them and they will be back, after a small break they will be happy again and better then ever! =)
    I'm sure WoW will gain ALOT of subs in next expansion.

You heard it from me first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    To everyone, I think WoW subs will go up like crazy in next expansion.

Hear me out first:

What i think, is that WoW is losing subs in china because it lost it uniqueness since MoP.
    Gameplay is fine its still the same but, in China WoW was different it wasn't like the rest of these chinese MMO's.
    But now it is!, and they will ofcourse go to a better chinese MMO if they can, and now they are doing that!

But i think if next expansion is burning legion, i wouldn't even be surprised if those 4-5M pple who left, like 2M will return atleast?
    WoW is unique again for them and they will be back, after a small break they will be happy again and better then ever! =)
    I'm sure WoW will gain ALOT of subs in next expansion.

You heard it from me first.
    Unfortunately that's a double-edged sword.

First off - I believe you overestimate the popularity of Burning Crusade. Just because a bunch of people on the forums are clamoring for their love of BC doesn't mean that the majority who left were exclusively fans of BC.

Secondly - you have to ask yourself "WHY were they fans of BC". Were they because of the demons? Or was it because of the gameplay design of the heroics/raids, the tier separation between players and the nonexistence of Daily quest grinds?

My point is that they will be expecting Burning Crusade part 2 - and what they'll get is Mists of Pandaria gameplay painted to look like the Burning Legion.

Will it boost subs? Sure! But I'm MORE than betting that those BC fans will bail JUST as fast as the Diablo 2 fans did from Diablo III when they find out it's NOT a return to Burning Crusade gameplay.

...of course that's assuming it IS a Burning Legion expansion. :P

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Unfortunately that's a double-edged sword.

First off - I believe you overestimate the popularity of Burning Crusade. Just because a bunch of people on the forums are clamoring for their love of BC doesn't mean that the majority who left were exclusively fans of BC.

Secondly - you have to ask yourself "WHY were they fans of BC". Were they because of the demons? Or was it because of the gameplay design of the heroics/raids, the tier separation between players and the nonexistence of Daily quest grinds?

My point is that they will be expecting Burning Crusade part 2 - and what they'll get is Mists of Pandaria gameplay painted to look like the Burning Legion.

Will it boost subs? Sure! But I'm MORE than betting that those BC fans will bail JUST as fast as the Diablo 2 fans did from Diablo III when they find out it's NOT a return to Burning Crusade gameplay.

...of course that's assuming it IS a Burning Legion expansion. :P
    And then there's people like me who absolutely loved TBC. However, having been repeatedly disappointed with Blizzard products recently, at this point even if they made a true attempt at bringing WoW back to that model, I personally would not be coming back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subs will be down. I expect even a bigger drop in china
    Last edited by But I Hate You All; 2013-05-19 at 05:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you feel there is an issue with moderation, report the post or contact Sunshine. Don't derail threads with it.

Blizzard is gonna regret changing their model from wrath, easy gearing of alts Naxx was perfect in that regard tier gear/trinkets/Offhands all purchasable with valor not to mention the Community was Alive with puggable raids OS/Maly/Naxx and GDKP runs.

Deleted
    They aren't rejecting the expansion. You do realize there are a significant number of free to play mmos in Asian markets right? They are rejecting subscription based mmos not Mop. Look I get it people hate pandas but stop twisting facts to push your inane agenda.
    My point is that it is clear as day that they are rejecting the subscription model not Mop and not even necessarily Wow. Care to point out any subscription based mmos that picked up a few million subscriptions in Asian markets that same quarter? No? Gee I wonder why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post

I don't support what Xanzul says or what the others (They know who they are) say either, your all just acting like children in general. The Asian market has changed and will continue, its like I said before WoW may of been success in the Eastern Market before, but may not anymore. WoW is a successful Western Market MMO and will continue to be. You can't rule a market forever & Blizzard prbly knows this. But if people in Asia enjoy WoW still they can, its not like WoW is dead in China, its just not the popular one over there anymore & it toke 8 years to do that. But its still the popular one in the Western Market. F2P in China blossomed out of nowhere, you can't combat that.

Pann is 100% right about one thing, F2P in China basically blindsided Blizzard / Netease, you can't combat F2P with a P2P that is 8 years old and showing its age, maybe in the West you can. But Eastern you can't.
    Are you even bothering to research what you say or just take and make up this things as you wish?

You think the Chinese or Asian P2P market is taken over by F2P, as WoW declined and one new F2P title appeared to have gained quite some popularity? Now you marginalize WoWs losses as a shift of the market to F2P at cost of P2P and put blame on the market rejecting its business model. This is begging some questions: Why are you under the impression that WoW represents the entire Chinese or Asian P2P MMO market or F2P are even to blame for the majority of WoWs losses?

Are you aware it does not take the Chinese or Asian P2P market to implode, for their F2P market to grow or a single F2P game to boom?
    Are you aware NetEase P2P MMO earnings have grown, despite of WoW pulling them back down to zeroplusminus with other F2P losses?
    Are you aware near all of the Asian (China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan) top MMOs are subscription based by the definition of Blizzard, some of them over 10 years old?

You are inventing a collapse of the entire Chinese or Asian P2P MMO market for an excuse. That is quite a stretch if not more than that.

Much lower.
    5.3 has no new content at all, not even dailies or rep grind.

People usually skip last patch or sub just 1 month.
    No one wants to grind gears and instant becomes useless after a new expansion.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2013-05-19 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to say 6.9 Million - if only because they didn't seem to optimistic in regards to the rest of the expansion.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    so if MoP continue to lose sub, can we conclude that MoP is the least successful expansion blizzard ever released? Sales wise it already is, 2.8 millions in the first week versus 3.3 millions in the first 24 hours for cata. but sub wise, the is the lowest it's ever been since vanilla.

It was implied. You know it, I know it, and Osmeric certainly knows it because it is one of his usual tricks to deflect.
    I never said Blizzard doesn't make a profit. I AM saying their revenue from WoW is declining, if examined correctly. One can lie about that using GAAP numbers to confuse year-on-year comparisons.

Also, Benbos was using GAAP numbers to try to estimate number of subscribers, which is bogus.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2013-05-20 at 03:53 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I AM saying their revenue from WoW is declining, if examined correctly..
    Same. How anyone can willfully ignore this is beyond me.

I think their sub numbers will go below 6mil before next quarter, because of the casual pvper being killed in 5.3 patch who doesn't want to pve at all. I think there are more people like me out there who didn't want everything they worked for gear wise to be made useless overnight cause I had mostly malv gear with about 4 tyran pieces I didn't care to do arena or rbg's just did randoms, and cta if it was a good 1. I made my conquest with wins that way from doing that no questing cause that crap is boring, just like dungeons, scenarios, and raids. Before someone says I'm scared to let skill decide is why I quit, it's a game I don't care if I die 20 times in a bg and I have from dumb allies who would rather keep killing a rogue at LH then go and cap WW or mines, so I would sacrifice myself. I also would always go after the alliance's best player to see if i could kill them, I'm not afraid of a fair fight I like them actually but I don't like what I have chosen as my playing style being made irrelevent by a patch. I took my lumps getting more honor gear, didn't mind it either cause I knew I would get it, why should my grind be made irrelevent compared to someone who pve's?

Nothing to worry, they'll remove LFR and flying mounts and the subs will go up to twenty-two gazillion millions of squillions of thousands of millions, 000 000 000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsaw View Post
    I think their sub numbers will go below 6mil before next quarter, because of the casual pvper being killed in 5.3 patch who doesn't want to pve at all. I think there are more people like me out there who didn't want everything they worked for gear wise to be made useless overnight cause I had mostly malv gear with about 4 tyran pieces I didn't care to do arena or rbg's just did randoms, and cta if it was a good 1. I made my conquest with wins that way from doing that no questing cause that crap is boring, just like dungeons, scenarios, and raids. Before someone says I'm scared to let skill decide is why I quit, it's a game I don't care if I die 20 times in a bg and I have from dumb allies who would rather keep killing a rogue at LH then go and cap WW or mines, so I would sacrifice myself. I also would always go after the alliance's best player to see if i could kill them, I'm not afraid of a fair fight I like them actually but I don't like what I have chosen as my playing style being made irrelevent by a patch. I took my lumps getting more honor gear, didn't mind it either cause I knew I would get it, why should my grind be made irrelevent compared to someone who pve's?
    Yeah theres totally 2.3m people like you

lower cause people have all their pokemons caught and have nothing more to do

moar blizz waits with the next expansion, moar subbs they lose
    Last edited by Milerks; 2013-06-09 at 01:30 PM.

1.5 to 2 million subs lost on the low end. 3 to 3.5 million lost on the high end.