Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Played since classic and I have been in several guilds. As just a member/raider in these guilds, I never saw them die out. I left those for other reasons.

My only experience with a guild collapse was during wotlk where I was GM with several other cool ingame friends as officers. We started this guild very late BC so never got to raid then. In wotlk we started with nax and the other raids. Did fine in all tiers, but it started to collapse when ICC came out. We actually did OK progress. We killed the 4 first bosses fairly quickly.

The breakpoint came when we were working on one of the bosses. It was that ugly thing that spawned green shit on the sides and small adds that become big(cant recall name). Anyway, we had worked on him for some time and it was getting frustrating. Many faults etc. Suddenly, at one attempt we get him really low. It ended with a 1% wipe. After that, we never got close. Many of us got burned out so we kinda called it quits on raiding, but we kept on playing more casually.

This was a guild that mainly did 10 man. We tried during nax times to go into 25 man, but it got to frustrating.

Probably the best time I have had in wow. The raids we had was so fun. We were 10 people with various skilled players. Some were just your average gamer and some were really good. But all of us laughed on vent, talked alot and just had a great time. I will forever miss those days. All of those friends have now quit the game. All of them has come back to wow and random times between late wotlk and mop, but never stayed around.

I will forever miss the friends I made then and all the fun I had. Nothing can replace the special feeling I had during wotlk, where I was the GM of a guild with great people. It was not just about the gear and progress, but actually having fun with others. We were never the best, we knew that, but we had great fun.

Paranormal on Burning Blade EU. Best of times.

PS: This guild was sold sometime during Cata since my friend(who I gave GM status when I had a longe pause from the game) sold the guild for gold. He asked me if it was ok and I did not bother:P No one was around in the guild anymore, he had just used it for his alts.
    Follow me on twitter @crusadernero
    Nero - Human Retribution Paladin on Burning Blade EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Vanilla/TBC guild broke up due to the Guild Leader entering into a sexual relationship with a raider, who wasnt well any good, and subsequently became a pussy whipped douche.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    1 guild in WoW that broke up and 1 in WAR.

WoW guild:

This was back in 2007/2008, I asked a question in gchat about which weapon was best for a Rogue. This started a arguement in the chat between the leader and out main rogue player, cant remember who said what but one was saying mace and the other dagger. The arguement went on for a while and ended up draggin most of the guild into the fray, but after a while it calmed down and everyone agreed to disagree and got back to playing and chatting.

I log in the next day to find I had been kicked from the guild, at first I thought it was just an error but then noticed I had a mail, went and checked it and it was from the Gleader saying he had kicked everyone from the guild and was going to stop playing for a while or something along those lines. I think nothing of it and set about trying to find my old guild mates to start up a new one when I notice something weird, I see a guy that is in my old guild still...not to long after I get a party invite from a old member who tells me that the real problem was that after we had logged off it all kicked off again between the rogue and the Gleader and he had basically kicked half thr guild out because they where either recruited by the rogue or his friends.

On the upside those that got kicked started a new guild, and the old guild died not long after due to lack of players.

TDLR: Guild fell apart over an arguement about best Rogue weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.
    Back in wrath my raid leader didn't want to do anything other then Naxx so I faction transferred to the horde and a week or so later the guild died and I was blamed for it dieing. Second guild died at the end of cata since people got bored of playing.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

I was in a guild back in BC that was the worst mixture of egos I'd ever seen. It was the joining of two of the major raid guilds at the time. It broke within the same month because the guild leader was too greedy with loot, among every virtually every other warning sign you'd find it a bad guild. I left shortly before it broke apart...I could just tell it wasn't going to end well.

My last guild, Skeleton Crew, broke up because of lack of raiders in our time slot, a general lack of good players and officers burnt out on recruitment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you can call it a break up, but one day the GM of my old guild logged on, said "fuck you guys" in guild chat, kicked everybody, and disbanded the guild. As far as we were aware, there was no reason that could have caused this.

We never heard from him after that...

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Isn't it a little hypocritical to complain about people not being nice in Wow anymore and then laugh about destroying a guild many of your members seemingly enjoyed being in simply because your friend didn't want to deal with it? There were about a hundred much better solutions that wouldn't have involved treating your members like garbage.
    As said, there were no hard feelings among those originally from my guild, at least the regulars. Most thought it was funny, and the friendships remained. Besides, with people maxing out, the leveling guild was losing its purpose and everyone knew it.

I've been to a few guilds that broke up or ceased.

In one of them there was a group of friends, one of whom was a pretty good player, but had a sailor's mouth case and bad attitude coupled with leadership talent. He got kicked or convinced to leave the guild a long time ago. But then after a long time he returned to WoW and his friends convinced the GM to let that guy in again. He quickly became an officer and started leading raids. His language and manners earned him hate of about a third of a guild.

His friends also got quite a bit of dislike for aligning with him. They started using a separate vent, did rbgs/alt raids together without inviting anyone outside their group. One day the GM spoke up and reprimanded the new officer for the excessive profanity. The guy blew up, left guild, and within hours all of his friends left too.. A pity, among them there were some good players. They formed a 10 man guild that was not successful and blew up.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

We had some ppl spewing venom and other toxic behaviors that came as close as anything else has. We did lose a few decent ppl also because of the actions of 3 or 4. Luckily you cut out the cancers in the guild and you often recover stronger and better.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2013-05-18 at 07:07 AM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

My original guild in vanilla cant even remember why any more. I was an officer in the guild at the time logged in to see a bunch of people fighting nect thing i know guild leader splits starts a new guild. I joined with him but one awesome guild became two shitty guilds. That was shortly before BC made a tauren druid forgot about the alliance toons for a few years raided all of BC then basically the same thing happened, though that was an arguement over raid teams. One raid team split started new guild I stayed but slowly my friends left just in time for the pre WotLK zombie patch. Went back to an alliance alt ran into the first friend I had made in WoW joined up with his guild at the start of Wrath been there ever since.

hmmm
    lets see
    ye several times, mostly during TBC tho
    ppl stopped showing up was mostly the reason. sometimes guild drama.

in wrath i joined crit happens on burning steppes. stayed with them untill mop (took game break in between)
    the entire guild did ally reroll on outland, i followed and we are still on outland as impossible tiger.
    the guild has cleared MSV but it seems ppl got tired doing HoF and lately no raids is happening.
    no plans leaving tho, im way too casual to be in any raiding guild.