Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

WoW performance 25mans

I see a fair few threads about 25man performance and have gone through them but I thought I should just create my own seeing as the set ups are different,

pretty much the story goes at the start of MoP I was raiding 25mans and getting a decent 50-60 fps in non intense 25man heroic phases and 30-40 during intense phases. now when im doing LFR im getting 40-50 in non intense phases and 20-30 during intense phases.

I wanted to go back to heroic 25man raiding soon but with my computer nothing even able to keep up in LFR intense phases I really think there might be something wrong with my set up,

My WoW settings during raiding are low on everything bar view distance which is fair and particle density which is on fair, of course projected textures are on but bar that everything else is low or disabled, i have multisampling on 1x the lowest it can go, i run in windowed fullscreen, Vsync is off and im running currently on DX11

my gaming set up is:
    i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    16GB RAM
    i have a 1tb SAMSUNG HD103SJ
    PowerColor HD 7950 PCS+ Edition 3GB GDDR5
    I run on 1 1920x1080 monitor

My temps on both cpu and gpu go between 45-55 tops

all wow addons i run are up to date and i dont run anything to intense like recount or skada

I have no idea what could cause my low performance and my computer I thought was pretty good and should be able to handle 25man heroic intense phases, the build itself is fairly new roughly 5-6 months old I think so any help or ideas in how to solve this issue would be really helpful

Deleted
    Wow is a very CPU intese game, I suggest that you OC your CPU to somewhere between 4.2, 4.5, That should give you a decent performence boost.

Deleted
    Run it with no addons on at all and see if it still runs the same. If it improves you will just have to go through them one by one to find the culprit. Remember just because an addon is up to date does not mean it is working.

Deleted
    any chance of linking a guide of how to for nubs? Ive wanted to but Im afraid I would get it wrong :/

Yeah Rom I thought of this, I went through all one by one to see and none of them was a game changer the addons I use to clarify are:
    Bigwigs
    WeakAuras
    Fortexorcist
    Quartz
    Bartender 4
    Auracle
    Last edited by mmoc7bd2857f97; 2013-05-17 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    Run it with no addons on at all and see if it still runs the same. If it improves you will just have to go through them one by one to find the culprit. Remember just because an addon is up to date does not mean it is working.
    he's right, you're running a build similar to mine and I'm running everything on ultra except shadows (because I don't care about them and it was a noticeable change in fps) and SSAO off because it seems to like to kill fps as well. I do have multisampling set to 2x

I stream at full 1080 and run skada too and during 25 man the worst performance I get is during incredibly high particle times and even then I'm at 30 fps at worst

Deleted
    ok so when you mean run with no addons do you mean just disable them in the addons folder on the character screen or actually take them out of the Wow interface folder completely?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodini101 View Post
    any chance of linking a guide of how to for nubs? Ive wanted to but Im afraid I would get it wrong :/
    There isn't really a guide on how to overclock, just go into your BIOS/UEFI and increase the clock multiplier. you usually have a base clock of 100 mhz, and a multiplier for 30-35. so if you increase the multiplier to say 42, you will then have a CPU clock of 4.2 ghz. But you can't just change the Multiplier, you need to increase the clock voltage. For example, say that you got Voltage of 1.1 try increase it by .05 per multiply change, so if you got from 35 to 36, set the volatage to 1.15.

Basicly, just fool around with the Voltage and Multiplier till you get a stable OC, it will take you a few hours to find the sweetspot. Once you find a stable OC with your desired Overclock, try and decrease the Voltage by .005 till it stops being stable, then you increase it to the level it was last stable at, that way you will have the lowest amount of Voltage for your Overclock.

Deleted
    Ok ty Malecesar il look into doing this, a couple of people from my old guild did say I could go to 4.5ghz and 1.25 volts, when you say finding the sweetspot how will i know when I have hit this?

Try running it with no addons in LFR to see if there's any difference. Also delete wow\cache and wow\data\cache (but not whole wow\data) and wow\wtf\config.wtf (not the whole wow\wtf) in case there's something wrong with the cached files or system settings. Also try to put both vsync and triple buffering on from graphics settings.

Ok ty Malecesar il look into doing this, a couple of people from my old guild did say I could go to 4.5ghz and 1.25 volts, when you say finding the sweetspot how will i know when I have hit this?
    Overclocking is not the solution, something is definitely wrong with your computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Well the sweetspot for me was 4.7 Ghz, so once I reached 4.7 ghz without crashing my PC every 60 seconds, that's when I started to lower the Voltage, so say if you want 4.5 Ghz, try and reach 4.5 ghz without any crashes and then lower the Voltage till you start crashing again.

Edit: You can download Prime95 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to stress test your PC, if it crashes during the Stress test, than it's unstable

Deleted
    From my experience (5 years of 25man raiding), you basically can't throw enough CPU at this game. Even with a heavily overclocked CPU, once entering combat it instantly becomes the limiting factor by a long shot. I can stand at a boss, out of combat, and the GPUs are sitting quite happily at 95-99% utilisation. As soon as the boss is pulled and combat begins, the GPU utilisation drops to 50-60% and the CPU has instantly become limiting.

Also - the developer sandbox runs in the same thread as the main game logic. i.e. no matter how efficient addons are they will add to the per-cycle demand on the most heavily loaded CPU core, and directly contribute towards lower FPS (seeing as the CPU is already a limiting factor).

Unless you happen to have the Oak Ridge TITAN sitting in your back yard, chances are you will not be able to out-CPU 25man raiding

Deleted
    Well addons are the top issue usually as you should try disabling all of them and if it is better then enable one after the other until you find which one is the issue.

You can also try going down to DirectX 9 rather than 11 since I had this issue before and that helped a lot for me.

Deleted
    Ok vesse il go disable all addons in the in game menu and load it up and run a quick tot LFR and see if the fps is any better.

I agree I think there is somthing wrong with my computer as it has been slowing down more over time recently for example basic tasks have been getting slower, Im going to re format my hardrive and re install windows 7 next week to see if it helps as well as installing my new SSD I got.

Zatie I agree I to have been raiding 25mans for a long time at a high end level and want to go back to doing so the thing is its not like my CPU couldnt run it before I ran at the start of MoP with no issues now im getting them so :/

Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post
    You can also try going down to DirectX 9 rather than 11 since I had this issue before and that helped a lot for me.
    For 99.99% of people DX11 mode is faster than DX9 and works without hitches... Maybe time to update drivers?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

the problem is the games engine is poorly coded and is old doesn't play well with newer technology. go play a game like BF3 and see your smooth as butter fps why? because the engine don't suck. i have a 4.7 ghz 2600k with a gtx 680 and the fps in wow aren't great by any means during 25 man not to mention half of the time my game feels pretty choppy. i can go run bf3 on ultra all day and never see slow downs all.

Deleted
    I get your FPS with everything on Ultra except shadows on High. I use multisampling 4x. As mentioned above something must be wrong with your PC. Overclocking will not solve this. I also have the same specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperatrix View Post
    the problem is the games engine is poorly coded and is old doesn't play well with newer technology. go play a game like BF3 and see your smooth as butter fps why? because the engine don't suck. i have a 4.7 ghz 2600k with a gtx 680 and the fps in wow aren't great by any means during 25 man not to mention half of the time my game feels pretty choppy. i can go run bf3 on ultra all day and never see slow downs all.
    Bullshit.

1) WoW's engine is from last year MoP release and it's actually newer than BF3 by a year
    2) apples and oranges
    3) BF3 is single player game, 25man raids 25 player game which means 25man raids requires approximately 25 times* more CPU power

* number pulled out of the hat to illustrate a point, not a proven fact
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Ok well ive been doing some LFR I did a run with all my addons bar one I thought could be the issue was still suffering from between 27-41 fps on iron qon and twins I was at 32-44 but the game felt really choppy and far less.

I then went and completely turned everything off and went back into lfr and did tortos and the fps was a fair bit better I didnt drop below 50 across the whole fight it was quite nice.

Ive been going back and trying to re do tortos again with another addon on and another etc, but getting put into fresh clear is hard :/ so I firstly put weak auras and bigwigs back on 2 addons I depend a fair bit on and i got put into a megera clear so did megaera and didn't drop below 50 and the game felt nowhere near as choppy as the kills on iron qon and twins earlier but LFR megaera there's only rampage but the start usually is horrid for 25 cus 25 people going Coooooldowns! isn't fun and I didn't really drop so It wasn't those 2 which is good.

Im trying to get back into one of the previous bosses with bartender now turned on and going to see what comes of that.

What settings are you using now, still on lowest?

Weak Auras can lag on some fights if you have crazy amount of auras loaded and active and you should look if you can disable some of the auras to make it run smoother. Getting rid of it isn't an option since WA is the 2nd most important addon all raiders should have after boss timer, and you can even use WA for boss timer if you want to
    Trolling should be.