Parry/dodge gives nothing

To explain in a maths formula.

Crit = Damage
    Dodge/parry = Nothing

Damage > Nothing
    by extension
    Crit > Dodge/parry

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    May i ask what exactly a prot pala gains from crit?
    Its the stat that scales best due to vengeance afaik, thus giving more dps and selfheal/raidheal, but does it give any sort of mitigation?
    Just dont see why some people advocate crit > parry/dodge, id like to hear why
    Thanks
    As you said, it gives good scaling in DPS with vengeance (although, depending on personal gear levels, haste > crit for throughput a lot of the time). It gives no mitigation.

Dodge/parry give approximately nothing. They very slightly increase your TDR per point, but TDR has not been a concern of tanks nor healers since, oh, Vanilla. Coupled with the very aggressive diminishing returns on avoidance rating, it is hands down our worst stat, per point (outside of things like spirit, int, etc). D/P basically only contributes to overhealing (by both yourself and the raid healers), a more spiky damage profile, and a small enough increase in TDR that it likely gets lost in the length of fights we see currently.

So, comparatively, crit is very much like dodge or parry. Neither of them are reliable, they can be treated as "random procs" of "extra damage out" or "less damage in". The thing is, extra damage out is never wasted as long as you have something to hit. If you're already survivng, less damage in is essentially "wasted". This is the same reason that the tank meta gem is utter shit, while the DPS meta gem is a great asset.

Tanks want reliable. Procs that reduce damage incoming, especially physical damage incoming, are largely worthless/avoided/hated for the fact that they are not reliable. You HAVE to be geared enough already to survive without them (in the case of bad RNG/no procs), so by that logic, you already don't need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    unicorns
    Basically what I said only better worded and more nicely put.

okey thanks nairobi for your thoughts. I was just wondering if I was missing some essential pala-crit-mechanic as e.g. Elusive Brew for Monks.
    while I understand that you prefer reliable dmg reduction over a "procc" dmg reduction, I'd still take if over "only" additional damage. But hey, as mentioned I'm a Monk, where reliant on dodge and parry :-) (not as a stat, but rather as effects)
    In the small scale, a little dodge/parry doesn't seem to matter, but if you had every item Mas/Crit instead of Mas/Parry, you'd be missing out quite a bit of dmg reduction. But thats an extreme case, and I'm not here to tell you how to play your chars, I really only wanted to know why you would go crit > dodge/parry, because in guides I've only read it the other way arround (or not mentioned at all)

Deleted
    Most guides are kinda basic. That is why they do not mention it.
    I would gladly trade ALL of my dodge/parry to have 0% dodge 0% parry for crit. Without even thinking twice.

As you said, monks are dependant on dodge/parry, paladins are not. It is really really shit for paladin. It is worth 0.