Thread: Prot Tier Set?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot Tier Set?

Is it worth it go get the Protection Tier Set for the bonuses? if so which pieces are the best to get? If not then you just stick to haste gear?

Deleted
    In 10 I would ignore set.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'd assume head and shoulders (lol) would be good for the 2p? Forget the rest.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    In 10 I would ignore set.
    More yes.

Also, search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    Since you need the hit anyway these items are interchangable unless you're around my ilevel, where it's possible to have nothing but Haste gems and still meet your caps.
    I have hit cap with 100% haste gems while reforging 1000 points away from hit, and I am not even wearing a hit trinket. Hit is not interchangable with haste once your item level is above 510ish~ +- depending on what items you got.

Deleted
    i feel a fight like magaera 10man it will be very useful especially for those who 2 heals it(my guild is just on normal atm) where you might need to help with healing in the magic phase then u get a nice block chance after for the melee attacks, i dont know if im all wrong but for me i like it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Is it worth it go get the Protection Tier Set for the bonuses? if so which pieces are the best to get? If not then you just stick to haste gear?
    10 man you could pretty much ignore sets.

HAWREVAH!

I do like to use my 2 set for Tortos heroic solo tanking - that word of glory to instantly cap your shell after a stomp and give you the block on bats is juicy.
    I also like the 4 part for solo tanking Megaera heroic since you're popping DP on each head, and taking a good lot of damage from double breaths - a few extra HP never hurt anybody.
    On twins heroic, if you do not tank swap when beasts spawn, and you also have a lot of smaller adds on you, your WoG (which no longer applies the heal debuff on you) is also helpful - and with alabaster glyph it results in some heavy sotr hits which can help get them beasts down a tad faster/slam some extra deeps on the boss.

Other than that, I prefer non-set pieces. If you are lucky enough to get thunderforged heroic offset pieces, with the new upgrade system coming, I'd just never look back at the set bonuses again.

I'm working towards 2pc just for the "nice to have" bonus, but only once everyone gets their tier (and we have another pal, 2 priests and 2 locks to get first....in a 10man).

The helm is nice, as I'm stuck with HC Horridon helm currently. I'd use the HC Dark Animus helm (but only have the normal) and am using HC Tortos shoulders now, as both are Haste/crit. Ideally I'd LIKE to have haste/accuracy or haste/mastery (wouldn't we all?), but IMO accuracy/mastery pieces aren't terrible. So, yeah, I'd like to get the 2pc eventually, but not going to tackle people to get my tier (for 10HC).

And yes, if I had HC TF versions of the haste off-set, I'd just say F the tier...but unless I roll those (which would be doubtful since I don't use coins on those bosses), I'd not take them over a DPS.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    And yes, if I had HC TF versions of the haste off-set, I'd just say F the tier...but unless I roll those (which would be doubtful since I don't use coins on those bosses), I'd not take them over a DPS.
    Am I the only one who is allowed to take dps gear

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    Nope. In most cases a tank earns more dps from the dps gear than a dps. We use a simple loot council, biggest upgrade gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    It's not about allowed, it's about what's best for the raid/group.

My DPS will still be high whether I use STR plate or INT plate, given vengeance. Our warlock going from 3 to 4-set is a notable increase in DPS, or priest going from 1 to 2-set is a nice bonus for them.

Sometimes it's better to be smart than focus on personal improvement.
    20k and counting...

Would a item with haste/crit be better than a item with hit/dodge or parry/dodge for a pala tank? (same ilvl)
    Or should crit be avoided at all cost?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Patabata View Post
    Would a item with haste/crit be better than a item with hit/dodge or parry/dodge for a pala tank? (same ilvl)
    I don't like crit, though some here will say crit is great even for tanks, and they would not be wrong. Haste/crit is undisputedly better than the others in your example though. Reforge the crit to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I don't like crit, though some here will say crit is great even for tanks, and they would not be wrong. Haste/crit is undisputedly better than the others in your example though. Reforge the crit to something else.
    Pretty much this is how I feel.

I try to avoid crit in favor of Hit, Exp, Mastery when possible, but there are many times where crit is all that's available and/or so far superior to other options that it doesn't matter. Things like HC Tortos shoulders (haste/crit), Dark Animus helm (Haste/crit), or even the valor ring as entry gear (haste/crit). Just move the crit to something else you need.

500 crit is always more useful than 500 dodge to a protpal.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I dont think anyone here will say crit is great. Just that crit is superior to dodge/parry. Though that is kinda like saying "Oh, you smell better than the shit my dog took on the couch this morning". Nothing to cheer about. Crit is a mediocre stat at best.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 03:20 PM ----------

You should avoid dodge/parry at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I dont think anyone here will say crit is great. Just that crit is superior to dodge/parry. Though that is kinda like saying "Oh, you smell better than the shit my dog took on the couch this morning". Nothing to cheer about. Crit is a mediocre stat at best.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 03:20 PM ----------

You should avoid dodge/parry at all costs.
    But i think i read in elitistjerks prot guide that avoidance isnt that bad after the grand crusader buff in 5.2 and i think i also read that crit should be avoided.

Wouldnt that make a hit/dodge belt better than a haste/crit belt?

But i think i read in elitistjerks prot guide that avoidance isnt that bad after the grand crusader buff in 5.2 and i think i also read that crit should be avoided.

Lol.

EJ is pretty badly out of date. What was said on there is that D/P is less bad after the change. However, keep in mind that being "less bad" than "absolutely awful" is still pretty damn terrible.

So, no. Hit/dodge belt is not better than a haste/crit belt (assuming equal item level and stat allocation).
    20k and counting...

EJ and theck prioritize avoid taking damage taken more than most 10 man tanks do, but they prefer dps less than some 10 man tanks do. Or atleast than I do.

Hit/dodge would be better for the raid IF, and only if the haste/crit item is needed more by a dps.

Deleted

No. Elitistjerks guide assumes patchwerk style boss fights which never happens. In real world tanking dodge and parry is completely useless unless you are tanking 8+ mobs.
    The only dodge/parry that is semi useful is that which comes from proc trinkets (mainly strength procs converting into parry).

Just because I guide tells you to do something, doesnt mean you should blindly follow it. If you check around different paladin guides you will get different answers. Thinking for yourself usually yields the best result when it comes to tanking.

The GC proc really did nothing for dodge/parry. Lets say you get enough rating to add 1% dodge. During a 10 minute boss fight you would ideally recieve 400 boss melee swings. In reality that is probably closer to 300-350 since bosses rarely have a perfect 1.5 second swing timer. If you are using two tanks you can cut that in half. Still, lets say 300 melee hits. That 1% dodge would yield you 3 more dodges on that fight. Those 3 dodges will grant you on average 0.36 GC procs. That is assuming they do not overlap with another GC proc which is also a possibility. So during a 10 minute fight while tanking something for about 90% of the time, you will get 0.36 HoPo on average or 0.036 HoPo per minute. That is just abysmal. Not to mention that it lowers your DPS if you have alabster shield glyphed.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ansekh View Post
    EJ and theck prioritize avoid taking damage taken more than most 10 man tanks do, but they prefer dps less than some 10 man tanks do. Or atleast than I do.

Hit/dodge would be better for the raid IF, and only if the haste/crit item is needed more by a dps.
    The problem with avoidance is that it does not really avoid any damage. All it results in is overhealing and spiky damage. Nothing benefitial at all.

Doesnt matter if someone else needs the item, it is still better for you. If you however decide to give it to a dps thats another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansekh View Post

That is waaaaay too vague and generalized to ever be true.

A better rule is: Always go for Haste/Mastery/Accuracy gear. Failing that, go for Haste/Crit. Avoidance gear is only useful if it is a marked increase in ilvl (i.e. 13+), else you're better off keeping an item that is better itemized.

Example (happened to me):

I had a Exp/Mastery helmet from t14H (509). It's not the best itemized (no haste) but it's not terrible.
    A 522 Dark Animus helmet drops (haste/crit). Me and the Ret/DPS DK both can use it. Personally, I'd pass it to the Ret/DPS DK (unless they're going to use tier helm). IF they're going to use tier, it's likely better for you to take it, as it's a really solid helm. I passed it to DPS.
    A 535 Horridon helm drops (dodge/parry). It's shitty itemization, but it's a 26 ilvl upgrade over what I'm using, so I take it.

Eventually I'll move to HC tier or HC Animus helm, whichever drops first.

Since then, I got a 522 Animus helm, but don't use it over the 535 D/P helm. The haste is great, but the crit holds it back some. Add to that, it's lower ilvl and I ended up just sticking with the Horridon helm.

Obviously, everyone's opinions will vary and differ based on loot luck, comp, and preference. And that's exactly why you can't make sweeping generalizations about what is or is not better for everyone's raid.
    20k and counting...

May i ask what exactly a prot pala gains from crit?
    Its the stat that scales best due to vengeance afaik, thus giving more dps and selfheal/raidheal, but does it give any sort of mitigation?
    Just dont see why some people advocate crit > parry/dodge, id like to hear why
    Thanks