Thread: New to GW2

10+ Year Old Account

New to GW2

Hey all, I've had GW2 on the computer for a while now, but haven't had a chance to get into it really until recently. I was curious to know a few things:

1. Any dead servers I should avoid? Trying to pick a lively one, hate feeling alone in an MMO. (i've made a character already but i wouldnt mind switching to a more active server).

2. What do the choices you make at character selection do exactly? Just effects your story or is there a deeper meaning?

3. Where in God's name do you buy gems for your gear? Looked all over the god damn place.

4. Is there a path that's considered the "quickest" to obtaining max level?

5. What is everyone's favorite class? Highest I've got is a 15 Elementalist, I really enjoy the array of moves you get with 4 subsets + a bunch of different weapon types.

Any other useful info you can give to a newcomer will be greatly appreciated .

1. Can't really say, just look at the population next to their name, I guess
    2. They're nothing more than information for your personal story.
    3. They can be made via jewelcrafting or dropped from mobs
    4. If you've got tons of gold professions would probably be the fastest way to level, but why are you in a rush to max level, this is GW2, not WoW, rushing will only ruin your experience, trust me.
    5. Ranger or Elementalist, lots of fun

1. can't help you there, I'd just look on the server list when you make your first character and pick a full server
    2. the choices only really affect the first part of your personal story (up to about level 30-35)
    3. there are no gems for your gear. There are runes if that's what you mean
    4. just do everything (renown hearts, dynamic events, exploration, gathering, crafting, WvW)
    5. Elementalist is my personal favorite but I enjoy all of the professions. Guardian is probably my least favorite.

1. No. The game is incredibly popular. And cross server play is free anytime.
    2. Nothing. Minor story choice but all personal stories lead into the same big plot line.
    3. Erm. I thought you meant cash shop gems. Socket-ables items are drops or bought on the auction house.
    4. Crafting is the fastest, but most expensive.
    5. Warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    4. If you've got tons of gold professions would probably be the fastest way to level, but why are you in a rush to max level, this is GW2, not WoW, rushing will only )
    True, I didn't even think about that. And I have had a hella fun time leveling the Elementalist I have. I just didn't know if maybe there was fun stuff to do at max level or if the leveling experience is what its all about, probably should have asked that question instead >_<

Well you will basically be doing the same thing at max level as you did while leveling as it really isn't a bimodal game (where the game changes focus at level cap).

10+ Year Old Account
    The US servers are all pretty full.
    http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA

Vabbi and Fissure of Woe on EU are pretty quiet.
    http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#EU

2) As Doozer said personal story plus interactions with certain NPCs.

3) Runes, medallions, gems, sigils - most made from crafting, some drops. Look on the Trading Post.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_Components

4) Absolute quickest would be to craft to 80, would take a couple days and 70-80 gold. Otherwise hearts, personal story, dynamic events. Get some gathering tools from the vendor, that gives xp too.
    http://www.gw2crafts.net/total.html

5) Elementalist is my favorite too!

Tips:
    The gear symbol on your inventory deposits all mats to your bank. You need to go to your bank to withdraw or you can access from a crafting station.
    Quick travel through the Heart of the Mists (crossed sword icon) there's a portal to Lion's Arch (main city portal hub) with gates to all the other major cities.
    Explore - look behind waterfalls and bushes, you can find whole zones, mini dungeons and jump puzzles hidden away.
    When your gear gets damaged (red shield) it still is 100% functional, no loss of stats. Only when it is broken (red X) do you need to repair or replace. Often cheaper to replace at low levels.

At max level you have access to some content not available at lower levels. Also, max level toons are much more valuable in WvW, Fractals, Guild Missions and most dungeons.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcloud View Post
    True, I didn't even think about that. And I have had a hella fun time leveling the Elementalist I have. I just didn't know if maybe there was fun stuff to do at max level or if the leveling experience is what its all about, probably should have asked that question instead >_<
    You lose nothing by rushing to max level, but gain actually being useful in wvwvw and guild missions. I was previously keen on just hanging back and doing as many zones as I could at appropriate level then I realised that its not going to matter if I do this at 80 and things are a bit easier whereas i'm gimped when participating in previously mentioned activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well you will basically be doing the same thing at max level as you did while leveling as it really isn't a bimodal game (where the game changes focus at level cap).
    While technically true you'll be doing it severely gimped, I don't subscribe to the don't rush to max level philosophy any more, not since I joined a decent guild anyway :P And tbh even when I didnt rush I was still getting 5-10 levels a day, thus rendering most zones obsolete in a pure level appropriate sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcloud View Post
    5. What is everyone's favorite class? Highest I've got is a 15 Elementalist, I really enjoy the array of moves you get with 4 subsets + a bunch of different weapon types.
    Mesmer was the first class I tried and it's still my favourite. Engineers are really fun too. I've tried every class but these two are the most fun imo.