If you were to create a religion...

What would it be like?

Im not talking about "i want to become a cult leader so i need to make a religion".
    Im talking about:

-I find myself in a position of power on a remote location, with people who will listen and believe me
    or
    -I am writing a fictional documentary regarding a history of certain society with a fictional religion

or even
    -I need to write a fantasy story with a religion in it

Would you go for monotheism or for a pantheon? All-powerful or with flaws? Distant or in contact with the society? Loveable and respectable or tyrannical and merciless? Based on existing events and laws of nature, or cosmic and uncomparable?

Would it be a shamanistic society, putting their trust into elders? Or a grand empire with cathedrals and monasteries?

Im curious to see what people would think of
    We dream, we dream.

One that doesn't oppress people and hold human advancement back thousands of years. So guess it wouldn't really be a religion exactly just paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    One that doesn't oppress people and hold human advancement back thousands of years. So guess it wouldn't really be a religion exactly just paradise.
    Forgot to add to the OP: Please dont refer to real world religions etc, otherwise this will just descend into a flaming war.
    But offtopic, i agree with your point
    We dream, we dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Forgot to add to the OP: Please dont refer to real world religions etc, otherwise this will just descend into a flaming war.
    But offtopic, i agree with your point

Any religion is created to create a paradise in a sense. Mine would just be like any other one created.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with a concept most people know but cant propperly describe... Gravity --> intelligent stickyness. If you dont praise, pay w/e entity forms the church you will be made to believe that you simple drift away...

Nowhere near as brutal as the monotheistic beliefs out there promissing eternel agony...

Deleted
    The God Emperor of mankind before the Horus heresy, it was the golden age of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    Go with a concept most people know but cant propperly describe... Gravity --> intelligent stickyness. If you dont praise, pay w/e entity forms the church you will be made to believe that you simple drift away...

Nowhere near as brutal as the monotheistic beliefs out there promissing eternel agony...
    Maybe i did not use proper wording in my post. I dont mean i want you to help me make a religion. I mean, i want to know what YOU would do if you had to
    We dream, we dream.

I would go for the pantheon of 4 gods. A guy who is heavy. A guy who repulse those around him. A guy who is weak and a guy who is strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Maybe i did not use proper wording in my post. I dont mean i want you to help me make a religion. I mean, i want to know what YOU would do if you had to
    And what i wrote was what i'd do. Its All about making money ang gaining control. Making a stupid claim often helps that case. I.e. Somone running for presidency claiming magical underwear to be an important part of your life

I'd do what L. Ron Hubbard would do. "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

I'd make it as obvious as possible that my religion is a fraud and then sit back and watch as it gains a following regardless.

Not really sure, but every page of the Holy Scripture would be headed by the subtitle:

"BE NICE AND DON'T KILL ANYBODY OVER RELIGION

... no, not even this one!"

Deleted
    We'd be the Metzenites!

Our Metzen in headquarters,
    Bluest be your name.
    Your Horde come,
    your Story Arc be done,
    on Azeroth, as it is in Outland.

Give us this patch our daily quest,
    and forgive us our exploits,
    as we also have forgiven our nerfs.
    And lead us not into overpoweredness,
    but deliver us from Rogues.

LOK'TAR OGAR

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not really sure, but every page of the Holy Scripture would be headed by the subtitle:

"BE NICE AND DON'T KILL ANYBODY OVER RELIGION

... no, not even this one!"
    Some people would still find a way to bend the rules or take things out of context.

"BE NICE AND KILL ANYBODY OVER RELIGION"
    Like so.

I quite like the ideas of Paul Tillich, his theory of "matter of ultimate concern". I'd draw a lot of inspiration from him. I'd also advice the people that trusted me to be deists, I'd want them to know that sure, god might have created the world we live in but he has now retreated, it's up to us now to do the best we can with what we got, there are no miracles, there is no need for them to worship him, he will not hear you, he will not help you, he does not care if you believe in him.

Basically I'd try to promote the idea that individual thoughts and actions are what counts.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Threads based on religion are not permissible, as per the general off-topic forum rules and guidelines addendum - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...dated-14-09-11 . Closing.