Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    1.) levelling was long and difficult in vanilla. This required grouping and forging of friendships/alliances in the game to actually progress.
    long yes, difficult? lol if you really believe this I don't know what to say
    I guess this is another one of those thiniking frustrating because of a lack of quest and stupidly long=hard
    no that doens't make it hard, it just makes it frustrating because of a lack of quest and stupidly long
    2.) You couldn't name change of realm change. This meant all content was limited to forming groups within the existing player base on your realm. Act like an idiot and you wouldn't get far.
    plenty of idiots back in the days
    3.) Xrealm/lfd/LFR didn't exist. People who would today choose to the see the content on their own terms by joining LFR might have, in the past pushed themselves further to join a guild and see normal content. The introduction of LFR means that people can see "all" of what wow has to offer without actually talking to or grouping with a single other player in game or on their realm. This takes away potential players from normal mode guilds.
    my god people actually get to see the raids blizzard has made! the horror
    if so many people decided to drop their normal mode guilds on the first sign an alternative became available, well that speaks more of the normal mode guilds than it does of LFR, usually people don't flee on the first sign of an alternative unless the place they are fleeing from has some major issues
    4.) Because of Xrealm content a reputation simply doesn't matter any more. People can act like idiots in LFR/LFD without any worry of ever seeing those people again. Because this content is also easier than premade group content it also doesn't promote the increase of skills which widens the gap between LFR and normal content.
    oh please, the biggest extend of "acting like an idiot" in lfd is someone calling you a few bad names (or I guess needing on a 463 blue that becomes obsolete 5 mins latter), if you can't get over that and need daddy blizzard to make it so you vet every person who you group with well, you can still fucking do that

Also way too many quests include phasing. Instead of everyone being able to witness an interesting scripted event (like Onyxia in SW keep, or Stitches in Duskwood) you can't even interact with others unless you are in the exact same phase. In a phased environment you can't even accompany a friend who's doing those quests later. And often phasing fucks out the affected area for good, instead of un-phasing into its previous state. Except in Swamp of Sorrows of course, where the Alliance conquers Stonard - and after the quests it phases back into normal... does this happen in Andorhal?

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    *snip*
    Questing in vanilla (especially in the earlier levels) WAS hard, even more so for specific classes without heals etc - this promoted grouping... And no, there were less people who ended up on your ignore list in those days because your reputation mattered - simple fact.

Suggest you stop rocking on your high-horse, "daddy blizzard" has nothing to do with it. Just like real life people will choose the easy-route if it's handed to them, as well as showing their douchy side if handed a veil of anonymity (XREALM content) and lack of repercussions (blacklisting, bad reputation etc).

I couldn't care less about people rolling need on 463 items or having the only conversation being "ZOMG, THAT DUDE QUEUED AS A HEALER AND HE'S NOT!" because LFR isn't my tool of choice. The fact remains that, while it's a necessary evil in terms of allowing non-raiders to "raid" it also doesn't promote any skill-gain whatsoever, widening the gap between what would once be a relatively difficult levelling and gearing process through dungeons (which required co-ordination) to normal raiding. A lot of people won't bother to bridge that gap because LFR is quick, easy and rewards you.

I get it, you've been playing since 2012 according to your FoS so this is all you know and, for you, it's great. I just don't share your opinion and the way you respond in your post just mirrors the majority of the LFR crowd these days. Way to make a point.
    Last edited by vmagik; 2013-05-21 at 10:29 PM.
    Amazing signature courtesy of Shyama

Incentivising social behaviour doesn't work because people join for the rewards and care little for the experience.

It's what LFR and LFD do to the scope of social interaction. They're great for gameplay and convenience, but it kills interaction because you only see those people once before never seeing them again. No one accounts for their actions because no one will be remembered.

For Blizzard to reinvigorate social behaviour, they'd have to let players manage themselves - and we can see how that already works for systems like World PVP where opinions are divided and griefing is the general norm.

Questing in vanilla (especially in the earlier levels) WAS hard, even more so for specific classes without heals etc - this promoted grouping... And no, there were less people who ended up on your ignore list in those days because your reputation mattered - simple fact.
    I really can't agree with that, maybe it was just my class, but i've only ever grouped with someone for quest in the like first 10 levels because 2 friends that we played GW1 together started playing together, then we kinda split apart in levels, they played more than me so I was left behind, maybe it was my class (i played a warlock), but i never had any issues questing what so ever
    Suggest you stop rocking on your high-horse, "daddy blizzard" has nothing to do with it. Just like real life people will choose the easy-route if it's handed to them, as well as showing their douchy side if handed a veil of anonymity (XREALM content) and lack of repercussions (blacklisting, bad reputation etc).
    so what? you still have your option of find 4 other players, leave me to my easy options, if other players also prefer the easy option, well tough luck
    I get it, you've been playing since 2012 according to your FoS so this is all you know and, for you, it's great. I just don't share your opinion and the way you respond in your post just mirrors the majority of the LFR crowd these days. Way to make a point.
    http://shrani.si/f/15/9H/22oyuYa1/2/60am4.jpg
    http://shrani.si/f/2Z/10E/1S7QSyc3/1/dreadsteedei9.jpg
    http://shrani.si/f/43/xq/1AlcOnj2/1/wowscrnsho12u2h.jpg
    this is me dinging 60 on my warlock in vanilla, getting my dreadsteed and raiding gruul in the beginning of BC, it's the only scren shots I could find, the rest is long gone, after that I started college, left the game and came back in 2012 with a different account, the old one is em, not available anymore
    of course you could believe I am just lying and just so happened to find a lock from vanilla with the same name as my forum name that i use on a lot of other forums oldest one I could remember going back to 2008

Will never be as social as it once was unless they re-tune the focus onto the realms and servers instead of cross-realm stuff where you can act like a jerk or do whatever with the reasonable expectation that you will face no consequences and not be blacklisted.

Convenience is what many players want, not necessarily what they need. Then again, hard to argue with massive commercial success. Convenience sells.