Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is this a good time to return to WoW?

Greetings.

I've been on and off the game for quite a long time now. Had a few small bursts of gaming sessions during vanilla and TBC, but the greatest part of my history was spent during the WoTLK era, which I enjoyed quite a lot. Now, since then I've played for maybe a couple of weeks in Cata but that's it. I haven't been following the game's news so closely, but I do that from time to time. My question is, would right now be a good time to come back and check things out? How's the current condition of the game?

Thank you.

No way to tell you. It's a personal descision. If you haven't used one before May 2012, get a Scroll of Resurrection and try it out for 7 days. Else, just subscribe for a month and see how it feels.

Personally, I feel there are both very good and very bad aspects of the game in it's current form;

Raiding; Great content.
    Leveling; Sucks an immensely large bag of di****. [Personal opinion, some love it some hate it]
    Gearing up; A lot easier than I expected. You can skip the repetative daily stuff for about 90% without any worries. Geared my alt to ToT normal levels with just LFR, Worlds bosses and Isle of Thunder dailies in just 2 and a half weeks (might require some luck in drops).

So yeah, just come back and try it out. Not like it's a huge loss if it turns out you don't like it. But if you constantly feel like you want to play and simply don't, you'll regret it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i think so, Mists of Pandaria is freaking great in my opinion. But it's your decision, maybe buy a month and see how it is?

Check to make sure your realm is populated for it might be dead right now, which for most can make the game very boring.

I am agree with Reavyn..its your personal decision to return or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I really really wouldn't.

Why return to a shrinking / declining / dieing MMO when there are other growing and more recent higher production value MMOs out there like Rift, SWTOR or NWO?

At least there you won't have issues with empty realms and having nothing to do at the end-game unless you want to commit to a raiding shedule.
    I don't raid and I'm still able to find stuff to do. I don't mean dailies and LFR either.

Deleted

Why return to a shrinking / declining / dieing MMO when there are other growing and more recent higher production value MMOs out there like Rift, SWTOR or NWO?

At least there you won't have issues with empty realms and having nothing to do at the end-game unless you want to commit to a raiding shedule.
    you sir, are nominated for the Troll awards.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-18 at 04:27 PM.

I was like you , almost didnt play in Cata . Mop is better , 5.2 is great imo and 5.3 is coming next week making easier leveling those Alts

Quote Originally Posted by neethree View Post
    Greetings.

I've been on and off the game for quite a long time now. Had a few small bursts of gaming sessions during vanilla and TBC, but the greatest part of my history was spent during the WoTLK era, which I enjoyed quite a lot. Now, since then I've played for maybe a couple of weeks in Cata but that's it. I haven't been following the game's news so closely, but I do that from time to time. My question is, would right now be a good time to come back and check things out? How's the current condition of the game?

Thank you.
    If what you liked about Wrath was the raiding, I wouldn't suggest a return as raiding is very different these days. If you just want to quest, do 5-mans and such it's probably worth it to subscribe for a couple of months. Check your server to see if it is dead before returning though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    If what you liked about Wrath was the raiding, I wouldn't suggest a return as raiding is very different these days. If you just want to quest, do 5-mans and such it's probably worth it to subscribe for a couple of months. Check your server to see if it is dead before returning though.
    First of all thanks to everyone for the insights

During Wrath I was part of a PVE guild that mainly did ICC, but towards the end I tried PvP as well. Can't say I didn't enjoy the competition, but at the point my heart lied in the raids (something which is probably not gonna be the case right now due to free time shortage). Five-mans and questing wouldn't be a reason for me to return as I get easily irritated by their repetitive grinding nature (but then again, what's NOT repetitive in the end game?). What do you mean by saying "raiding is very different"? From what I'm reading ToT is one of the best settings we've had in years. And is declining population really an issue? I mean, back in the day I wouldn't even think about it. What about scenarios? Holding up any ground?

I'm probably gonna resub for a month after my exams just to check out things, but for now I'm really interested to see how the game has changed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neethree View Post
    Greetings.

Thank you.
    There's a lot to do nowadays, and I think coming back now would be good. The game overall has it's problems: lower populated servers dying or completely dead, imbalance of factions on most realms, and other little tidbits. I wouldn't let it stop you from playing the game, though. It's still fun, only if you find it enjoyable.

WoW did lose 1.3mil players last quarter, but we still have 8mil+. Anyway, people leave for different purposes, and there's more than one MMORPG out there. A lot of them are F2P, but I'm sure you know this. If people think losing large chunk of players, mostly subs lost in Asia and for the other reasons, we need to get a reality check. You'll be fine if you come back, and don't listen to players that try to scare you from playing.

› Shrinking and declining in certain market areas, while still having 8mil+, doesn't mean the game is dying.
    › SWTOR blows, RIFT is RIFT, and NWO is meh.
    › Pretty sure there's more than enough to do at end-game, and not every realm is empty. There's too many realms at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I'm sorry, but what does it matter that there are 5mil+ chinese playing the games when 90% of the US or european realms can barely even get the people together to progress through 10man raiding?

I too believe it's better and more fun to join a growing MMO rather than a shrinking one, especially for the social aspect.
    Where do you get the ridiculous argument that "90% of US or EU realms can barely get the people together for 10 man raiding"?

From having a large circle of friends who play WoW and who all quit over the past few months because of realm problems? I've had to pay money out of my nose too the past few years for realm transfers because my realms activity kept dieing...

Who are you to call my experiences with the game ridiculous???
    Depends on your server. The one I just moved to right now has over twenty heroic raiding guilds on it, and dozens more raiding normal.

And who are you to be speaking for the entire WoW population on the state of raiding?

15+ Year Old Account
    The lore kinda sucks. If you're Alliance Metzen hasn't delivered on his whole "Alliance will have the spotlight in MoP" spiel. Mogu are mildly interesting, Thunder King is neat. More old God stuff to follow. Chen Stormstout has less of a presence than Lorewalker Cho, which is odd given that he was the only Pandaren people cared/knew about before MoP.

Gameplay-wise it's pretty solid. The new talents are okay but tend to add to the action bar bloating problem especially if you're a hunter. DPS/HPS numbers continue to inflate to ridiculous numbers, crits feel less meaningful etc. 5.2 Raid helps with the lore problem by adding a cool atmosphere and troll lore, raid mechanics themselves are on par with Firelands.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

From having a large circle of friends who play WoW and who all quit over the past few months because of realm problems? I've had to pay money out of my nose too the past few years for realm transfers because my realms activity kept dieing...

Who are you to call my experiences with the game ridiculous???
    Your personal experience with one or two realms doesn't count for "90% of EU or US realms" I'd say maybe 50% at most would have minor problems with raiding.

Deleted
    You PvP ? No
    You PvE? Yes

I thought the same thing as you OP, I regretted it, MOP is horrible.

I left early 5.2, just found myself logging in on raid nights and even then i didn't want to be there. There's really nothing to do in my opinion unless you like dailies.
    Bane

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends... do you like doing forced dailies? (rep, gear) do you like having a small pool of dungeons to do while leveling up? (fucking what was there? like 4?)
    I actually stopped playing like 2 months ago... after playing the game for 8 years. Had nothing to do with being burned out of WoW, it was being forced into stupid crap that I don't enjoy doing (ex: dailies... you even HAVE to do them if you only just want to raid)

my opinion as an ex hardcore raider who has no time at all to play anymore, is its all personal. When i log in my love for this game revolves around raiding and the lack of time to do so kills it for me. LFR isn't a replacement for the enjoyment hardmode endgame content provides me. dailies and dungeons were fun for awhile while gearing and LFR is okay the first run through then you feel like its a total grind.

so if you think you will have time to raid even in a normal mode setting then MOP is great and its an easy catch up to gear for normal ToT, but if you wanna just play casually you'll probably get bored as this seems to be the pattern you have already said you have with the game.

as for servers dying, thats always been an issue, with guilds disbanding and servers only having so many players most would transfer off a realm to join another guild of the same level as thiers while their old realm is kinda full on slots. I have transfered more times than im proud of, but it kept the game alive for me, and i met a lot of great players from all of the realms i ended up on trying to stay competitive and see all the content i could.

this game simply comes down to the drive you have to do what you want. so the choice to return is all on what you have time to do.