Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Have you ever had to mercy kill an animal before?

Has anyone here ever done a mercy killing to an animal, may it be something as insignificant as stepping on a sprayed spider, or as emotionally conflictive as putting a pet out of their pain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope I havent

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes I have. As I have had cats, who brought halfdead animals in house, it's quite normal.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

15+ Year Old Account
    me and my dad were at our buddies house and someone hit a deer outside and dint kill it it was laying there in pain and pulled the gun and ended its life
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taurenburger View Post
    Yes I have. As I have had cats, who brought halfdead animals in house, it's quite normal.
    I hope you eat those animals, your cats bring them to you as a token of gratitude! You are supposed to play with them untill they are dead, after wich you may feed on them

ot my dog was put down when I was 7, he was a malinois shepherd and reached the age of 16, pretty old, and in the end he had this cancer tumor the size of a grapfruit on his leg.
    It was a hard time, I was left hearthbroken (me and him where practicly brothers)
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-05-18 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah (._.), my dog broke its lower back and I had to put it down... worst month of my life

ive had to take 2 dogs to the vet to be put down, but never did the deed myself

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    me and my dad were at our buddies house and someone hit a deer outside and dint kill it it was laying there in pain and pulled the gun and ended its life
    this reminds me of a deer i saw hit on the 95 in a very busy part. there were tall concrete walls on either side, so no idea how the deer got there. it was in the center lane, all legs shattered - not just broken. it was trying to get up and run away on very short bone nubs. a highway patrol was parked "upstream" of it with the lights on, just standing around. i was pretty pissed at him for not putting it down. im sure he had to deal with regulations or something, but damn. poor thing gave me bad dreams for a few nights
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    ive had to take 2 dogs to the vet to be put down, but never did the deed myself

this reminds me of a deer i saw hit on the 95 in a very busy part. there were tall concrete walls on either side, so no idea how the deer got there. it was in the center lane, all legs shattered - not just broken. it was trying to get up and run away on very short bone nubs. a highway patrol was parked "upstream" of it with the lights on, just standing around. i was pretty pissed at him for not putting it down. im sure he had to deal with regulations or something, but damn. poor thing gave me bad dreams for a few nights
    yeah it was weird after the gun shot we looked around cause he has a few people close by no one was looking to see what was going on
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    In the winter I usually put down at least a few moose/caribou every week.(apparently railroad tracks are a preferred path over chest deep snow.) Anyways, after the first couple times you get somewhat desensitized to it knowing that you are putting them out of their suffering.

Deleted
    When I was a kid, I accidentally stepped on a chicken's leg as I was chasing it. I panicked, and backed off, and then I saw it getting beaten by the other chicken because she had a broken leg. We had to kill her, and I felt horrible for the entire day, and sad for the rest of the week.

But the worse was my parrot. I had a budgie that escaped its cage and fell in boiling water. God, I only wish I wasn't so selfish and ended its misery instead of letting it suffer until morning. He was the best parrot I ever had.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-05-18 at 08:09 PM.

I grew up on a farm in the rural south. So yeah, lots of animals put down. We've put down horses, goats, many dogs, cats, and chickens galore. I learned quickly in life not to get upset when an animal was gone. Also we've killed tons of pigs and cows for our own consumption.

Yes. Iv'e put down 2 dogs due to them being overcome by cancer, and a third that got in a fight with an opossum, and when i was 13 my dad accidently hit a deer with his truck and it was in the middle of the road laying (in teh position that animals lay when they sleep) with its head up just staring at nothing and my dad made me hit it on the head with a tire iron...

Deleted
    In Afghanistan I only had to draw my sidearm once, that was to put down a donkey that had been hit by stray fire, some guys in my platoon wanted to bayonet it.

Edit: I have also mercy killed a few pet rats.

Deleted
    Only small birds my cat's haven't finished, but also a mouse once...

Cats can be cruel

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, never had to mercy kill an animal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not myself, but the vet..... Had to take my buddy (dog) to the vet after he suffered 2 strokes in one day. Poor guy had no clue anymore what was going on. Couldn't even go after his potty business. He was unable to stand anymore, even though he desperately tried to stand up..

Worst event in my life... Holding him in my arms while he was laying there on that steel table, getting the final and relieving shot.
    I will never forget that moment anymore. 17 years ago, and yet while I write, it's in my mind as if it was just hours ago. The moment he passed, he let everything go that was still inside him, which made him laying there in his own urine...... He never deserved such an end.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    In Afghanistan I only had to draw my sidearm once, that was to put down a donkey that had been hit by stray fire, some guys in my platoon wanted to bayonet it.

Edit: I have also mercy killed a few pet rats.
    Actions in Afghanistan would make PETA go nuts. I have not had to do it myself, but witnessed 3 counts of this over there.
    1st- We had a pet cat in the FOB, one group hated the person who was most protective of the cat. During cycle shifts from TCP > Patrol, they brought the cat with them and planned to use it as coyote bait. Long story short, my friend put the cat out of its misery before we had to witness anything worse.
    2nd/3rd- After that we had a rooster and a goat...almost the same thing, no motive in why they were mistreating these animals though. This time the pet "owners" put them out of their misery to end the suffering.

My dog like 3 months ago :(. Things got really bad really fast. In two weeks time she went fully blind and could hardly walk. She had breathing troubles so me and my mom stayed up all night with her and in the morning my mom took her to the vet to be put down. :((((((((((((((((((((((
    Hi Sephurik

i shot a fly with a nerf gun once, and something burst out if its side,
    so i did the right thing and shot it once more to put it out its misery

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosti View Post
    Actions in Afghanistan would make PETA go nuts. I have not had to do it myself, but witnessed 3 counts of this over there.
    1st- We had a pet cat in the FOB, one group hated the person who was most protective of the cat. During cycle shifts from TCP > Patrol, they brought the cat with them and planned to use it as coyote bait. Long story short, my friend put the cat out of its misery before we had to witness anything worse.
    2nd/3rd- After that we had a rooster and a goat...almost the same thing, no motive in why they were mistreating these animals though. This time the pet "owners" put them out of their misery to end the suffering.
    I am a huge animal lover and stuff like that drives me crazy, I prefer animals to most people to be honest, I treat my pets like children.