Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rune of Re-Origination Primer

For the love of all that is holy, do not use RoRo as a WW. This guide was created and useful at a time when mastery increased the damage of TeB. Because of the scaling synergy between RoRo and our mastery, WW mastery was changed to increase the chance we would proc another stack of TeB instead of increasing its damage. This change negated the benefit of RoRo for WW monks.

I'm keeping this guide intact because it took a bit of time to create it, and it might be fun to look back at in a couple years' time.

TL;DR: DON'T USE RoRo ANYMORE. IT'S NO LONGER A DPS INCREASE TO DO SO.

Introduction
    There are a lot of threads in the Monk forum about the Rune of Re-Origination, but many of them are from 5.2 PTR and contain information that is either outdated or purely speculation. My intent for this thread is to assemble all of the relevant information that is both factual and up-to-date into a single, formatted post that is aimed primarily at those just beginning to use the Rune. If you find anything that is erroneous, or if you believe I need to add anything else, please let me know

The Basics
    The rune procs, on average, around once per minute, give or take a handful of seconds. When the rune procs, you will receive a buff called Re-origination.

When the rune procs the Re-origination buff, it takes the two lowest stat ratings from mastery, crit, and haste, adds them together, doubles that number, then adds it to your highest stat rating at the expense of lowering your other two stats to 0 rating. It only counts stat ratings that you get from gear, trinkets or weapon procs, and professions, like the extra crit perk you get from skinning; it does not count castable buffs like the Mastery buff from Blessing of Might. If you're doing it right, your highest stat should be your mastery with your crit and haste as close to your mastery rating as possible. Mastery is the stat to choose here for one reason: you can gain an obscene increase in your overall damage from Tigereye Brew.

Practical use
    The basics
    When the rune procs, you wait to pop TeB until the Re-origination buff has almost expired. While you're learning to use it, it's best to wait until there are about 2 seconds left on the buff. If you try to cut it much closer than a second, you may run the risk of having Re-origination fall off before you cast TeB. The reason you wait until the buff is about to expire is because TeB snapshots your mastery when the spell is cast. Once you've cast it, you'll have a second or two of no haste and crit with TeB, and 13 or 14 seconds of TeB with all of your stats at their normal values.

In-depth
    You can't use a cancelaura macro to just cast TeB and cancel the buff, so you'll have to live with energy starvation for 10 seconds or so every minute on average. If you're near a full 10 stack but on low energy while the buff is active, use energizing brew to gain some energy and get your 10 stack. If you're over 10 stacks, just live the with energy starvation, and pool chi with jab or expel harm. With about 2 seconds left on the re-origination buff, pop your TeB, use RSK, and either FoF if you can remain stationary or Energizing Brew if it's available to regen your energy.

You should always try to keep a stack of 10 TeB tucked away for when the trinket goes off, but if you're getting to 16 or 17 stacks, use it with Dancing Steel or some other proc, and if it gets to 19 or 20, use it immediately. It's almost always a DPS loss to lose stacks of TeB from capping. If the rune procs while you'r under the effects of TeB, you should still reapply TeB like normal when there are a couple seconds left on the Re-origination buff.

The rune has a 22 second ICD as well as an RPPM of around 1, depending on the ilvl of your trinket. If you unequip the trinket and reequip it, it will reset the RPPM timer and trigger the ICD on the trinket, so it's great to do that before most boss pulls. Doing so will allow you to stack up at least a few stacks of TeB before it procs for the first time on a fight.

Gearing
    With the rune, secondary stats are better to gem than agility since each of your secondary stats in now worth more than half of agility, and you get double the amount of secondary stats on gems. You'll find that trying to reforge, regem, and re-enchant all of your gear manually after getting the rune can cause migraines. There are a couple of tools out there that will aid you in this process, and unless you happen to be Rain Man, you'll want to make full use of them. I find the easiest tool to use for this is called Zephyrus. Zephyrus was originally made for feral druids to maximize their use of the rune, but the folks over at FluidDruid were nice enough to give us a version that works for monks. You can find the latest stable release here: fluiddruid.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4574&p=16593

Be aware of procs that change your secondary stats, like the haste proc from Talisman of Bloodlust and the mastery, crit, and haste procs from Windsong. It is advised that you do not use enchants or trinkets with short acting procs that increase or decrease your secondary stats, as that can cause the rune to convert your secondary stats to a stat other than mastery.

If you're at a lower ilvl, I'd say below 510 or so, you should run your character through Zephyrus to see if you'll be sitting at a comfortable haste rating. I like to keep my haste above 6500, but just about everyone has their own personal comfort zone for haste, so I can't give you a good, hard number. If you're under whatever haste rating you are comfortable with, I'd advise against using the rune until you can get there.

Addons
    I recommend an addon like weakauras to keep track of the 10 second buff that it gives you, and optionally the 22 second ICD.
    Link to weakauras string to track the 10 second buff: http://pastebin.com/mGyJfzLp

Macros
    You cannot use a cancelaura macro to cast TeB and then remove the Re-Origination buff. Refer to the first sentence of the In-depth subsection of Practical Use for more info.

The following will switch the places of your two trinkets, putting them both on CD and pre-pot. This is best used before a pull.
    Code:
    /equipslot 13 Rune of Re-Origination
    /equipslot 14 Rune of Re-Origination
    /use Virmen's Bite
    Alternatively, if you only want to refresh the CD on the rune, you can use the following, but it will require you to carry an extra trinket in your bags and you'll have to click the macro twice:
    Code:
    /equipslot 13 [Name of the trinket in your bags]
    /use Virmen's Bite
    Or you can use a second equipment set that includes all of your normal gear, minus the rune and then use an equipset macro, but you'll still have to use the macro twice:
    Code:
    /equipset [Name of your set. The name is case sensitive]
    /use Virmen's Bite
    Advanced
    Proc Rates
    The rune has a base RPPM of 1.012, modified by the ilvl of the trinket. The base ilvl used for calculations is 528. Any rune below ilvl 528 will have a RPPM below 1.012, with the opposite being true for runes above ilvl 528. The rune also scales with haste.

You can use the following formula to determine your average procs per minute:
    Code:
    1.012 *1/(1.15^((528-[rune ilvl])/15)) * (1 + [haste rating] / 42500)

To determine how many seconds that is, just take the above and divide by 60.
    Code:
    60/(1.012 *1/(1.15^((528-[rune ilvl])/15)) * (1 + [haste rating] / 42500))

WolframAlpha describing procs in seconds. Just replace x with rune ilvl and y with haste rating: link

Proc rate multiplied by 0.1 for non-agility specs. Proc rate multiplied by 0.25 against player controlled units.

A big thanks to Requital and Hinalover for information on proc rates

Calculating Mastery
    The trinket uses only your crit, haste, and mastery ratings from gear and short acting buffs like those from trinkets and weapon procs. Any extra buffs from the raid like Blessing of Might, for example, don't count towards what rune does. A bit of quick math will tell you how much extra damage you'll get from TeB. Let's call x the value of your haste, y the value of crit, and z the value of mastery.

Code:
    Mastery without the trinket proc: z + 3000 (3000 is from the mastery buff) 
    Mastery with the trinket proc: z + 2 * (x + y) + 3000
    TeB damage increase from mastery: 1% base from TeB + 1.6% base from the mastery + 1% per 2995 rating.
    TeB damage per stack: 2.6 + [mastery] / 2995
    TeB damage per 10 stacks: 10 * [TeB damage per stack]
    Just for the hell of it, let's say that x and y both = 7000 rating with z = 7001. So, without the trinket, your 7001 mastery will give you 4.94% per stack. With the rune buff, you'll have 38,000 mastery including the mastery buff, which equals 15.29% per stack. As you can see, with the rune, 7000 mastery is about 3.1 times stronger than without.

Expanding on the above, we can also calculate at what point a low stack count of Tigereye Brew with the rune equals a 10 stack without

Code:
    Minimum stacks with rune to equal 10 stacks without: 10 / ([TeB damage with rune proc] / [TeB damage without rune proc])
    The limit for this function approaches 2. 3 stacks is the smallest reasonable count to reach but would require a bit over 15,100 rating in each stat, which may not be feasible for this expansion. For most practical purposes, I think 4 stacks will be the minimum for breaking even with a 10 stack. Personally, I'm not sure how useful this info is, but I thought I'd post it since it seemed marginally interesting.

If you want to check out the math in action, here's a link to WolframAlpha with the minimum stacks formula already input: Link

Miscellany
    Like any other trinket, if it is unequipped and then reequipped, that will trigger the ICD and restart the RPPM timer for the trinket. In a fight where BL/Heroism is used at the start, it may be a good idea to keep the trinket equipped if you want to ensure a proc during BL. Since we discovered that 4 or more stacks of TeB is about equal to blowing a 10 stack, if you pool chi prior to the pull by casting expel harm, you can get at least 3 stacks in the 10 second window that rune is active in the first 10 seconds after the pull, ensuring you get the full 15 seconds of increased damage during BL. I'm still not 100% sure that it's a DPS gain to do this, but I figured I'd mention it.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-05-07 at 12:06 AM.

This post should be stickified as a RoRo WW monk guide.

Nice read.

Should also be mentioned the buff cant be cancel aura'd or clicked off

Do we have verification that on live trinket/enchant procs can't change the Rune's selected stat? During the late stages of the 5.2 PTR I was testing the rune out. I can't recall if I had a windsong proc or a proc from my Windswept Page, but during one of my tests one of the Rune procs came out as haste instead of mastery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
    Do we have verification that on live trinket/enchant procs can't change the Rune's selected stat? During the late stages of the 5.2 PTR I was testing the rune out. I can't recall if I had a windsong proc or a proc from my Windswept Page, but during one of my tests one of the Rune procs came out as haste instead of mastery.
    Rune procs definitely change RoR procs. Looked at the logs for one of the WW in my guild and she had around 50/50 procs of mastery/haste due to Talisman of Bloodlust. After switching to Bad Juju that went away.

FYI: stats from windsong and lifeblood (Hebalism skill) do count as secondstats. so you might wont to enchant "Elemental Force" as cheap alternative.
    (or put mastery 1501 above haste and crit as a workarround)

put a /cancelaura lifeblood at the beginning of your Tigerbrew Macro helps.
    doesn't work with the Windsong proccs though, as there can be multiple (you would have to cancelaura at least 2) but you can't explicitly cancelaura the non-mastery ones, as the buffs all have the same name -.-
    no clue why the don't allow us to cancelaura by spellID...
    Last edited by TheTrueM4gg0t; 2013-05-19 at 03:08 PM.

Here's a macro I use to swap trinket positions before pulls to trigger the ICD of the trinket. Be aware it also triggers the ICD of your other trinket.
    Code:

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    FYI: stats from windsong and lifeblood (Hebalism skill) do count as secondstats. so you might wont to enchant "Elemental Force" as cheap alternative.
    (or put mastery 1501 above haste and crit as a workarround)

put a /cancelaura lifeblood at the beginning of your Tigerbrew Macro helps.
    doesn't work with the Windsong proccs though, as there can be multiple (you would have to cancelaura at least 2) but you can't explicitly cancelaura the non-mastery ones, as the buffs all have the same name -.-
    no clue why the don't allow us to cancelaura by spellID...
    Well no that wouldn't work at all. The Rune selects its stat when it procs. So putting the cancelaura into TeB isn't going to do anything. You'll now have TeB without the benefit of the proc and still using an inferior stat for the Rune. If the Rune could dynamically update that way it would lead to even more cheesy tactics than we already use to maximize our rune potential.

There was a blue post somewhere that I interpreted that way. I have no experiential evidence that suggests either way, so I'll change that until I get a chance to properly test it. I think I have a Talisman of Bloodlust in my bank that I can use. Should have actual data on it either tonight or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Oratory
    Here's a macro I use to swap trinket positions before pulls to trigger the ICD of the trinket. Be aware it also triggers the ICD of your other trinket.
    Code:
    Code:
    Added.

15+ Year Old Account
    FYI this information is listed in about 10-15 threads some more detailed than others you just have to search for it.

- Rune of Re-Origination – 1.012 RealPPM on landing harmful abilities and spells, and melee/ranged abilities and swings. 22 sec ICD

The proc frequency changes based on the ilvl of the trinket:

541 ilevel = 112.88% proc multiplier
    535 ilevel = 106.74% proc multiplier
    528 ilevel = 100.00% proc multiplier
    522 ilevel = 94.56% proc multiplier
    502 ilevel = 78.49% proc multiplier
    463 ilevel = 54.57% proc multiplier

- Proc rate multiplied by 0.1 for non-agility specs. Proc rate multiplied by 0.25 against player controlled units. Proc rate multiplied by 1/(1.15^((528-ItemLevel)/15) for the various Item Level versions of the trinket.

The trinket uses only your crit, haste, and mastery ratings from gear. Any extra buffs from the raid or procs from other trinkets, for example, don't count towards what rune does. A bit of quick math will tell you at what point a low stack count of Tigereye Brew with the rune equals a 10 stack without. Let's call x the value of your haste and crit, which should be 1 rating or so lower than your mastery.
    Mastery without the trinket proc: x + 3001 (3001 is from the mastery buff and 1 extra stat to get mastery as the higest secondary)
    Mastery with the trinket proc: 5x + 3001
    Just for the hell of it, let's say that x = 7000 rating . If I understand how TeB damage increase from mastery is calculated correctly:
    1% base from TeB + 1.6% base from the mastery + 1% per 2995 rating.
    TeB damage per stack: 2.6 + [mastery] / 2995
    So, without the trinket, your 7000 mastery will give you 4.94% per stack. With the rune, you'll have 38,000 mastery including the mastery buff, which equals 15.29% per stack. As you can see, with the rune, 7000 mastery is about 3.1 times stronger than without. Given that, you need about 3.2 stacks with the proc to equal 10 stacks without. This number will change depending on your ratings.
    To find your number: 10 / ([TeB damage with rune proc] / [TeB damage without rune proc])
    Personally, I'm not sure how useful this info is, but I thought I'd post it since it seemed marginally interesting.
    Personally I think the above is going to confuse a high percent of readers that are tyring to understand it so to simplify it all and make it easier to understand I'd suggest.

Y = Crit & Z = Haste

When the trinket proc is active if you are reforged properly you gain Y+Z*2 at that time with 1 second remaining on the RoR proc you would use TeB 10 stack.
    Last edited by Requital; 2013-05-19 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    FYI this information is listed in about 10-15 threads some more detailed than others you just have to search for it.
    Yeah, I know all of this information is spread through multiple threads, but based on the frequency of RoRo questions being asked, it's clear that people aren't performing their due diligance. With that in mind, I figured I could save a lot of time for everyone else on this forum by combining all the sources of information into a single thread that people can point to for anyone asking questions about the rune.

- Rune of Re-Origination – 1.012 RealPPM on landing harmful abilities and spells, and melee/ranged abilities and swings. 22 sec ICD

The proc frequency changes based on the ilvl of the trinket:

541 ilevel = 112.88% proc multiplier
    535 ilevel = 106.74% proc multiplier
    528 ilevel = 100.00% proc multiplier
    522 ilevel = 94.56% proc multiplier
    502 ilevel = 78.49% proc multiplier
    463 ilevel = 54.57% proc multiplier

- Proc rate multiplied by 0.1 for non-agility specs. Proc rate multiplied by 0.25 against player controlled units. Proc rate multiplied by 1/(1.15^((528-ItemLevel)/15) for the various Item Level versions of the trinket.
    Added

Personally I think the above is going to confuse a high percent of readers that are tyring to understand it so to simplify it all and make it easier to understand I'd suggest.

Y = Crit & Z = Haste

When the trinket proc is active if you are reforged properly you gain Y+Z*2 at that time with 1 second remaining on the RoR proc you would use TeB 10 stack.
    Yeah. I can see what you mean. That section probably doesn't even need to be there, but I thought it was kind of a fun footnote. I'll change it to try and make it easier to understand. If it seems like it's still too complicated, I'll probably just remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oratory View Post
    Code:
    Why not just do

Code:
    /equipslot 13 Trinket we dont care about
    That way you won't trigger the ICD on the other trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Why not just do

Code:
    /equipslot 13 Trinket we dont care about
    That way you won't trigger the ICD on the other trinket.
    Added both solutions to the macros sections along with one that uses equipment sets. Unless someone knows of a more elegant method for resetting the ICD, I think the three I have listed should suffice.

Well no that wouldn't work at all. The Rune selects its stat when it procs. So putting the cancelaura into TeB isn't going to do anything.
    sorry don't understand, why would what not work?
    making a macro with
    /cancelaura Lifeblood
    /cast Tigereyebrew
    would assure that you have no lifeblood up. or which cancelaura are you talking about

Deleted
    He was referring to a cancelaura for the Rune, which would not work

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is the LFR RoR worth upgrading from 502 -> 510 iLevel as soon as you can?

What will this due to proc chances? (This is keeping in mind that many of us won't see a 522 RoR till possibly the dawn of 5.4)
    Ayr - WW Monk
    US Aerie Peak(A) - Convert to Raid

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayr View Post

What will this due to proc chances? (This is keeping in mind that many of us won't see a 522 RoR till possibly the dawn of 5.4)
    It will increase the proc chance by an appropriate amount as well as the base agi ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by KarachiDK View Post
    He was referring to a cancelaura for the Rune, which would not work
    okey, which is then kind of moot, because I didn't ever talk about that. I know that you can't cancelaura the Rune itself, that's nothing new

okey, which is then kind of moot, because I didn't ever talk about that. I know that you can't cancelaura the Rune itself, that's nothing new
    No, actually I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the point that there's absolutely no reason to cancel a lifeblood (or anything else) in a TeB macro. If you're using TeB either rune is already procced or you're using TeB normally for increased damage output and you WANT the additional benefit extra effects would have at that point. If Lifeblood is already up when Rune procs canceling Lifeblood at that point is worse than pointless since it won't change that you just had Rune proc haste instead of mastery.

sorry don't understand, why would what not work?
    making a macro with
    /cancelaura Lifeblood
    /cast Tigereyebrew
    would assure that you have no lifeblood up. or which cancelaura are you talking about
    When the rune procs, it takes your current haste, mastery, and crit at the time of the proc. If you use something after the rune proc or cancel something during, it would not change what you get from the rune, and, at worst, it would put you into negative rating for a stat. Having the extra haste from Lifeblood for the full duration of the rune proc would help a bit with energy starvation, so I think it would be best to use Lifeblood as soon as the rune procs so that you get extra haste and not cancel the effect before you cast TeB. Generally, it's best to just not use anything that randomly gives you a temporary secondary stat boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayr View Post

There's a list of differing ilvl proc values towards the bottom of the OP. I believe there's also a formula listed there that you can use to determine the proc rate based on the ilvl. While it won't increase the amount of stats that you get from the rune proc when you bump the ilvl (wouldn't that be amazing?), it will increase the RPPM, slightly and increase the amount of static agility. If you double upgrade the rune, it will increase the proc rate from .8 RPPM to .86 RPPM. Since rune is our second biggest DPS increase, barely eked out by a good MH weapon, I'm planning to upgrade my MH, OH, and rune tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2013-05-20 at 09:48 PM.