Page 1 of 2
LastLast

5.3 upgrade priorities?

With 5.3 coming this Tuesday the 21st, we'll be able to upgrade our gear again.

My gear runs the whole gamut: 522/528 RealPPM trinkets, 3 pieces of 502 T15 for the four piece bonus, 522, one 535 and one 543 non-tier legs.

I assume that the RealPPM trinkets should be upgraded first. Do you agree? Then what though?

Thanks in advance!

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it sounds reasonable to do the trinkets. Renatakis Soul Charm is a definite if you have it. Since youre killing content id think don't bother with your 502 tier pieces wait til you get normal or heroic atleast. id probably do the 541 non tier legs since itll hold you over for a bit til you see even better like heroic lei shen legs. and pending what the 535 piece is probably that as well if you wanna spend all your valor on what you have currently.

For myself (525ilvl) Im definitely upgrading 535 Renataki's Soul Charm and 522 Miracoran, the Vehement Chord fully. I feel like that specific trinket and your weapon are obvious choices. Is 522 Bad Juju that worth it? When are the 600ilvl cloaks available? is it worth upgrading my 541 pinionfeather greatcloak for the moment?

Weapon>Trinket>Item with the most stat will yield the highest benefit.

upgrading your weapon should be priority over anything.

Deleted
    Aye as above.

Remember though the upgrade system is very much cheaper this time around so you do not need to be as stingy when upgrading them items.

To upgrade something the max 8 ilvls it'll cost you 500 Valor in total now - so with a 3000 cap in the bank that's a lovely 6 items on day 1, or your main ones with some left over in case you get a nice drop.

Fitfob: I believe the ilvl 600s are available from day 1 in 5.3 but you have to have finished the 12 Titan Runestones + Lei Shen heart first before you can access the quest for them (don't hold or quote me on this I may be completely wrong).

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes i forgot they changed the pricing now. Very true. Thats how i think it is as well For the cloak just wasmt sure if someone can confirm. In which case i might as well upgrade my 541 Since i have 7 right now so prolly anither 2 or 3 weeks out on the cloak

Deleted
    Is it even worth upgrading a 522 weapon. Ive killed both ironqon and tortos loads of times on hc, stupid ranged weapon wont drop

Upgrade cost enough is low enough this time that intermediate upgrades should be fine.

Weapons > Trinks > Tier, I'd think
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Is it even worth upgrading a 522 weapon. Ive killed both ironqon and tortos loads of times on hc, stupid ranged weapon wont drop
    Personally, I'd say it is worth it, since you'll be able to fully upgrade 2 items per week if you cap on valor points. You'll gain most DPS from upgrading your weapon by quite a bit.

Tortos x8 kills
    Durumu x4 kills
    Iron Qon x3 kills
    Total 15 heroic kills + at least 12 charm used but still no fucking heroic weapon...

Yeah, Weapons > Trinkets > Tier or anything else really. Considering you will be able to fully upgrade 8 slots on the first week of 5.3 (assuming you are going into 5.3 valor capped), you don't really have to be very picky...

Also, if you're still working on progression do not hold back your upgrades. You will have plenty of time, this time around, to upgrade everything. So put the points into things now, get the bosses down sooner, and get better items for everyone.

Deleted
    This really is a very personal decision. If you are early/mid-way through progress, you want to go for things that you will keep for a long time. If you are late in progress, you want to go for the 8 items that are the biggest upgrade. If you have cleared, no-one cares!

I presume that normal 522 weapon upgraded will now be better that the heroic lei shi gun upgraded (517)

Deleted
    I'd say purely because weapon damage upgraded 522 weapon is going to be better than 517 weapon from lei shi.
    Weapon>trinkets>gear u most likely ain't replacing during reset.

I think my plan is to immediately upgrade all my tier pieces and then wait and see if Tuesday's raid results in a weapon that isn't the flippin' Tortos bow or a Thunderforged trinket drops for me before upgrading my trinkets and weapon.

I absolutely detest the notion of upgrading the Tortos bow though. It's a nightmare to reforge out of -- especially with the Soul Charm also providing way too much expertise.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

For me...

Weapon > Trinkets > any other heroic pieces.

It's funny, I usually pic non-tier pieces first. Because if you think about it, tier pieces are the first to get replaced next tier... or at least the first you want to replace next tier. Non-tier will last you much longer IMO. It has for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    For me...

Weapon > Trinkets > any other heroic pieces.

It's funny, I usually pic non-tier pieces first. Because if you think about it, tier pieces are the first to get replaced next tier... or at least the first you want to replace next tier. Non-tier will last you much longer IMO. It has for me anyway.
    On the contrary, I'd say. You usually don't want to switch tier pieces out before you have a 2 set bonus and offpieces to go with them from the new tier. That requires 3-4 items to drop, just to switch out of the tier. On the other hand, a neck is a neck and will be upgraded instantly with no ramifications.
    Regardless, with 2 items being capable of being fully upgraded a week, if you seek to maximise potential for progress/DPS, you'll want to go for the highest stat/DPS yeilding item - that means weapon>trinket>chest/legs/helm>gloves/boots/belt/shoulders>rings/neck/cloak/bracer (accounting for the fact that obviously a 541 ilvl glove is going to be yeilding more stats than a 502 ilvl helm, for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Im currently running with awful trinkets, so I plan on Upgrading my Weapon and tier pieces and waiting until we reach our progress boss this week to upgrade my trinkets (hoping for luck from Jin'Rohk/Council). But I certainly wan't to upgrade my trinkets as the DPS they give is just to much to ignore.

BiS/Weapons > Trinkets > Helm/Chest/Legs > Others

Obviously there's some exceptions like a Heroic TF Gloves vs. LFR chest or something like that, but for the most part this is how things go.