View Poll Results: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Voters
1026. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    710 69.20%
  • No

    316 30.80%
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Fluffy Kitten Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,617
    In the US, tipping is part of the unspoken contract of eating out. If you don't like it, or can't afford it, don't eat out. It is not acceptable to just stiff the server (who did not make the laws that allow them to be paid less than half of minimum wage) especially for no reason. Try to change the laws if you really want to take it to that degree, but don't cut someone out of their money and/or get them in trouble with their boss if they did a good job.

    Saying that, if a server does a bad job? Please don't just leave no tip. Let their manager know. Leaving no tip let's the bad server just write you off as a dick who doesn't tip, and they don't improve their performance. Similarly, their coworkers all still have to work with them. Alerting the manger lets them know the issue and do their job, which is to placate you and train the server.

    Yes, server's employers have to make up their wage to minimum. That being said, needing that service more than 'every once in a while' will most likely get you fired for being a poor server (regardless of that being the reason for not getting tips or not). Also, waiting tables is a job where you expect to make more than minimum wage. It is hard work, much more physical that people realize, and not something most people are very happy to do for minimum. They do it because the earning potential is higher.

    Edit: This post is obviously for Americans, eating at restaurants that use servers/server wages. I'm aware tipping is not so endemic in other countries. This sort of applies to other professions where tipping is expected, although to a lesser degree. I would still tip, but it would be more of an "optional nod for good service" than with waitstaff. None of the others count on those tips as part of base-wages quite so badly, other than maybe hairdressers, but again, that is because of how the law in this country allows it to be.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2013-05-18 at 09:31 PM.

  2. #42
    Field Marshal creepfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    68
    in the us, it is. you would be wrong not to tip. and it is also a dick move

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    Yeah, i've seen this thread a couple times before and it always seems to go the same way:

    -OP is a cheap ass who tries to justify his/her lack of tipping by saying it's an easy job and they're already paying for food

    -He/she gets called out for being a cheapass douchenozzle for most of the thread

    -Thread gets ugly and eventually gets closed

    Now, I will say this, if you don't tip your waitress/server/bartender, etc. then yes, you are a complete douche and should get your food spit in or something to that extent, UNLESS they absolutely don't deserve and worsen the dining/drinking expirience. If you don't want to tip, you're more then welcome to stay home and make your own food. Otherwise, you are having a service provided for you, don't be a douche
    Lol'd.

    We are being provided a service, we're paying for that service aswell.
    Do you honestly think that if i order a steak at a resturant that i'll be paying exactly what the stake is worth? That it would cost me the same as if i bought it uncooked and made it myself? No.
    Food at resturants is more expensive than normal. The "leftover" money from that goes to the owner and the resturants workers.
    Now why should i feel obligated to pay a little extra to a girl who gets payed less than most other working people in the world? Is it just because she earns so little?
    By that definition, the salary i get from my job, i should make sure i have exactly enough to pay my rent and bills, buy food for a month and then just a TINY bit over so i can start saving up to do something fun every once in a while. The rest of my salary i should go donate into charity. Right?

    No. I don't tip. They're already being paid.

    Talented football players gets paid 1000% more than doctors get. And doctors save lifes while football players kick a football.
    World isnt fair. Screw the "Expected to be paid more as a waitress"..
    Last edited by Sanktas; 2013-05-18 at 09:27 PM.

  4. #44
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Waiters/Waitresses are paid below minimum wage, you are most definitely an ass for not tipping.
    __

    There are exceptions, if they provide terrible customer service then it's fine not to tip.

    If you don't tip because they're busy, you're still an ass.

    {imagine an obese donkey baring it's teeth}
    I don't think giving them "pity money" is the right idea behind tipping. If someone is doing a good job, it's the role of the employer to pay for that good work. If the customer appreciates it too, then they should have the discretion to give the worker a little something extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  5. #45
    The Patient deadllbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    207
    there is NO excuse for not tipping, unless the person you would tip is rude or abusive, or has bad service. there is no actual defensible reason to not tip otherwise. the reservoir dogs scene has no merit. none. if you do not tip, you are wrong. plain and simple. not debatable, not defensible. you. are. wrong.
    "You are not prep--" *ROGUE BURNS PREPARATION* "Aw shit."

  6. #46
    Herald of the Titans serenka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Berkshire - South England
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    The kind of person who deserves spit in their food.

    and that pretty much explains whats wrong with the system...

    i worked as a server for 4years during school, never once did i think about doing something to someones food because they didn't tip.
    dragonmaw - EU

  7. #47
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    20,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Always tip people who serve the food you eat, to ensure that the food you eat remains uncontaminated.
    Do they contaminate it before or after they find out you will not tip?

  8. #48
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,141
    depends on the service.
    you get a Waiter / Waitress that makes you feel welcome, gives you good service and keeps there distance whilst your enjoying a meal then yes, you absolutely should tip unless its covered in the service charges.

    if you get an ass of a server, who gives terrible service, and is genrally bad at their job, then no, you dont tip

    ooh grats on your 10k rich!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    there is NO excuse for not tipping, unless the person you would tip is rude or abusive, or has bad service. there is no actual defensible reason to not tip otherwise. the reservoir dogs scene has no merit. none. if you do not tip, you are wrong. plain and simple. not debatable, not defensible. you. are. wrong.
    your saying that as you belive tipping is usual for the rest of the world


    its not

  10. #50
    The Lightbringer Speaknoevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't think giving them "pity money" is the right idea behind tipping. If someone is doing a good job, it's the role of the employer to pay for that good work. If the customer appreciates it too, then they should have the discretion to give the worker a little something extra.
    I don't tip out of pity, I acknowledge that the tip is part of paying for the meal where I live.

    Depending on how good the service is, I alter the percentage tip I give.

  11. #51
    Herald of the Titans serenka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Berkshire - South England
    Posts
    2,851
    anyway, im probably done with this thread already. seen these before, it will just turn into a EU v US on their minimum wage and tipping culture, with people coming in saying anyone who doesnt tip is a dick, people saying they mess with food if they dont get tipped and then people saying they never tip because their country pays their staff properly.
    dragonmaw - EU

  12. #52
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    20,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    The kind of person who deserves spit in their food.
    Scumbags like that should be fired and banned from ever working in a place that serves food for life.

  13. #53
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,482
    As I understand it, it's courteous to do so in the US (if not downright obligatory), but not in other parts of the world where there's better minimum wage laws.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  14. #54
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    20,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    depends on the service.
    you get a Waiter / Waitress that makes you feel welcome, gives you good service and keeps there distance whilst your enjoying a meal then yes, you absolutely should tip unless its covered in the service charges.

    if you get an ass of a server, who gives terrible service, and is genrally bad at their job, then no, you dont tip

    ooh grats on your 10k rich!
    Thank you, I do little at work except for spamming forums.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunix View Post
    your saying that as you belive tipping is usual for the rest of the world


    its not
    If you've already seen that a person is completely unwilling to discuss something, or accept that other people will have other opinions and viewpoints, then there's no point talking with those people.

    There's lots of other people here who are more open minded and willing to talk about this. Believe me, it's really easy to look at a post like that and jump on the impulse to try to point out how a statement like that is... blunt and very narrow minded, but there's better people to talk to.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    there is NO excuse for not tipping, unless the person you would tip is rude or abusive, or has bad service. there is no actual defensible reason to not tip otherwise. the reservoir dogs scene has no merit. none. if you do not tip, you are wrong. plain and simple. not debatable, not defensible. you. are. wrong.
    If you ever tip someone just 'because' and not because the actually did something good then You. Are. Wrong.
    Bringing you the food and being polite is standard. Not something i'm willing to throw my money at.
    Being expected to tip is just stupid and wrong. What others do has no merit. None. If you do tip for no good reason, you are wrong. Plain and simple, not debatable, not defensible.

  17. #57
    Been brought up to tip so I see it as a normal thing to do. It is strange though why I have to tip someone for doing their job...

    Personally I think you're cheap if you don't tip. I even tip my barber.

  18. #58
    I deliver pizza. About half the money I make comes from tips. Needless to say I'm a bit biased.

    If you really, strongly feel on a philosophical level that tipping is wrong, more power to you. I can't argue with something that's that much of a part of you. I don't agree with it, but whatever.

    However if you're asking, it's definitely a nice gesture in my eyes. I'll put it like this - when I was a naive high schooler, I never tipped. I didn't have an actual income so the extra two or three dollars was needed in my mind. Ever since I've worked a job with tips, I've became quite the tipper. I don't tip outrageous amounts, but I always make sure to give something fair. Even if the service is terrible I'll leave a dollar.

    People can talk as much shit as they want about how tips are "undeserved" or whatever, but you'd sing a different tune if you worked in the same business. They're an integral part of our pay, bottom line. Don't take it out on us for working in a system that's stupid. We're just trying to get by.

    That said, there are of course situations to not tip - absolutely horrendous service, rude people, and I never use tip jars at places like Subway unless they just did an awesome job making my sandwich. It's a slippery slope. What it really comes down to is you. A dollar or two isn't going to kill you.

  19. #59
    The Lightbringer Speaknoevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    anyway, im probably done with this thread already. seen these before, it will just turn into a EU v US on their minimum wage and tipping culture, with people coming in saying anyone who doesnt tip is a dick, people saying they mess with food if they dont get tipped and then people saying they never tip because their country pays their staff properly.
    What's unreasonable about that?

    EU: Fairly paid server, cost of employees factored into the cost of meals = No necessity for tipping
    US: Unfairly paid server(below the legal minimum wage, with tip assumed), cost of employees not factored into the cost of meals = Necessity for tipping

  20. #60
    Lots of cheap people on these forums. I'm happy I don't work in a restaurant.

    Tips not only are part of the waiter/waitress salary, but they share it with boss boys and other employees. By not tipping them, you make them lose money they could have done with normal customers.

    Some countries have tips included into the bill (like France), then of course it's not required, but otherwise, you're just a cheap bastard if you don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •