Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    ^^^
    I don't think we're on the same page.

I agree with you that the servers should provide excellent customer service to get paid, but people aren't fair, they'll give a good server nothing because they don't feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I don't think we're on the same page.

I agree with you that the servers should provide excellent customer service to get paid, but people aren't fair, they'll give a good server nothing because they don't feel like it.
    That is their right to do so. Were a tip actually forced (and I think there are some places where it is, which I would avoid like the plague) it would be on the bill to begin with and added to the server's paycheck at the end of their pay period.

I actually consider tipping to be insulting to waiters, and to customers. It says to waiters "We acknowledge that your pay is insufficient, and we know that our ability to make up for this insufficiency is in our hands, so you better do way more than your job actually says or you'll need to live with your unfair pay" and it is insulting to customers in that it is unlike nearly every other service or product out there: you pay more simply because you either "should" or because the service was very good.

There have been quite a few places I worked at before, where I put in much more effort than was necessary, yet I did not get payed any extra. It would be better to resolve these pay problems than it would be to assume it should fall on the customer to make up for that lack of pay.

Wait... that sounds like something else, now that I think about it. Money that you spend an extra amount on because of some other expense added onto the purchasing of the service or product...

It sounds like a tax.

Deleted
    Huh.

I'm in the U.K so everybody gets ATLEAST the min wage, however - those living on it in this trade must be terrible. That being said, i rarely tip - mostly because i rarely order food (Last time was a week ago, and before that a month or so - it's often a treat for myself).

But the last person who brought my food to me, and managed to keep it hot! (Amazing) and was extremely pleasant making sure i had everything before paying, they got a fiver - that's almost an hours work for them, and the dude looked pretty happy if i say so (a fiver is like what, 8/9 dollars?)

The U.S system seems set up to fuck a person in the ass though... Just my truthful view, but then you make up for it with all those damn lawsuits!

Despite what some people seem to feel, the tipping system screws the server more than the customer, because of people too cheap/lazy to tip or who feel like they don't need to "pay extra." You aren't actually "paying extra" because if tipping weren't implied, the meal would cost more to begin with. How hard is it to look at a $20 meal and realize that after tax and tip it will be a $25 meal? And if that extra $5 is a big deal, why are you getting a "$20" meal in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    It's less a reward thing, and more an encouragement for them not to tamper with your food or other service they're providing

If they know you're not going to tip, you can bet your beans they're going to shunt you to the bottom of the list.

As a server myself if someone doesn't tip me I rarely care. I will still serve you the best I can the next time I see you. We have regulars who never tip and we are usually happy to serve them. No one should feel bad or wrong for not giving money to a server it is pretty optional. Though on the flip side after I started working as a server I know how it is and always tips for good service.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    It's less a reward thing, and more an encouragement for them not to tamper with your food or other service they're providing

If they know you're not going to tip, you can bet your beans they're going to shunt you to the bottom of the list.
    They won't tamper with the food, not in the U.K.

The employer opens himself to fantastic assfucking by the authorities if even a hint of foul play enters food serving, and the employer will oft fire the employee before launching an investigation.

I'm not saying that there are pure dicks, who deserve to get pummeled who fuck up your food - but it is extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    If you have a job and aren't in school, yes it's wrong not to tip. You'd have an excuse if you were poor and unemployed and were trying to get a decent education so you could go on to better things.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I don't support a tip-based culture. I support good workers being paid good wages. Regardless of the type of work someone does, if it is high quality people should be willing to tip above and BEYOND the equitable pay for that work. People shouldn't be paid diddly on the assumption they will be tipped for their great work.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Places I frequent and tip well at I get better service at. There is value returned from the tip.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    No. I don't tip. They're already being paid.
    Illegal amounts, if you don't count their tips. Very classy of you, to effectively support slave labor.

If they're being paid real wages, your steak will cost even more. If you're ok with that, great. But you have to work in the current system in the meantime.

Seriously, go work as a waiter, get paid $2.15 an hour, refuse all tips, and try to live for a month. Try to get some of your basic humanity/decency back.

It is sociopathic to just ignore tipping if you're in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Huh.

But the last person who brought my food to me, and managed to keep it hot! (Amazing) and was extremely pleasant making sure i had everything before paying, they got a fiver - that's almost an hours work for them, and the dude looked pretty happy if i say so (a fiver is like what, 8/9 dollars?)

!

the last meal i ordered the guy dropped it while getting out of the car, so he had to go back and get another one made, waited over an hour for my food when it was meant to be about 30mins. so no tip for him!
    i dont blame the server if its an issue with the kitchen, but if its the servers fault, not getting anything extra from me.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never tipped nor do I get why I should by default. Sure, if the server goes out of his/her way to get me something, i'd tip. But if it's a simple order. Nah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Then refrain from using services that it is customary to tip for.

I tip.

my Restaurant tip guidelines.

Excellent service, No waiting for anything, food comes out orderly and timed properly. (i.e. main course comes out hot no more than 2-3 minutes after apps are done, usually 10 minutes after apps are served).
    ~30-35%. If the waiter or waitress is good looking, another 5% (hey, can't discriminate!)

Good Service. slightly slow to respond to small things like drinks or refilling the bread. Other than that, all the above. 25%

Regular Service. Typical service you'd expect, this is my regular tipping amount. 20%

Below average service. This is when they take way to long getting drinks or coming back to get the order after being seated, talking like, 10-15 minute wait. Forgotten something like extra bbq sauce or no onions. ~10%

Poor service. They screw up the order big time, placed wrong food order or brought wrong table out. long wait times to get check, etc.
    Here i don't tip. I write on the receipt that i sign the problems with the service and leave my phone number. I always get a call and i tell them what happened. The next time i go in I get a gift card to cover the cost of the meal

Sometimes I will get the server that did a poor job and they'll apologize. They'll get a good tip if they don't make excuses about why they failed.

At a bar it's totally different.

1$ tip per drink. i.e. a drink is a standard "drink" size, i.e. 1 12oz beer, 1 8oz mixed drink or 1 1oz shot of pure alchohol.

If they make it a double, you tip 2-3$. If they take your drink order before others even though other people have been there longer, 2-3$ a drink.

if they start giving you free drinks or charging you less (i.e. domestic prices for imports), I will tip more per drink.

If your drinks are costing 6$ a glass/bottle/shot, at 1$ you're tipping 17% and no one can or should complain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    How do they earn below minimum wage? I'm pretty sure that's what the minimum wage is for.
    Employers do not have to pay minimum wage to waiters if they are allowed to take tips. The restaurant I used to work at pays serves $2.15 an hour, well below minimum wage.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, but I assume it depends on the country. I live in the UK, and personally don't tip when I eat out (not often). I only tip if I'm with a group of people, and everyone is in which case I don't have much choice. From what I'm hearing in America, it seems like its mandatory to tip, but I've not heard of anything of the sort here.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

If I am on vacation I always tip when I eat a local resturant. Partly because I suspect the people working there is dependant on it, partly because I feel kinda smug when I do.

Here in Norway though I only tip because it makes my bank account look more tidy. I tip so that the end of the bill goes to the closest whole 10 number. If something costs 54NOK I tip 6NOK, if something costs 89NOK I tip 1NOK ect.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I've never tipped nor do I get why I should by default. Sure, if the server goes out of his/her way to get me something, i'd tip. But if it's a simple order. Nah.
    It' not customary to tip where you are from in the US it is different. Servers make about $2.13 an hour and they rely on tips here.

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Employers do not have to pay minimum wage to waiters if they are allowed to take tips. The restaurant I used to work at pays serves $2.15 an hour, well below minimum wage.
    If you do not make minimum wage then the employer has to pay MWD (minimum wage differential)

10+ Year Old Account
    aw buttfuck

Infracted
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2013-05-19 at 08:49 AM.