Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?
    In the US, waiters and waitresses get literally all of their money from tips. Without tipping, you're saying "Fuck you, you don't deserve to get paid FOR YOUR JOB!"
    You're the worst kind of person and should literally be forced to tip or pay double the cost expenses to compensate for the worker you're mistreating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    How do they earn below minimum wage? I'm pretty sure that's what the minimum wage is for.
    There'a an exception. Most restaurants are allowed to pay ~2.50 USD instead of the minimum of 7.25 USD on the assumption that servers will make up the difference in tips. Now mind you servers are supposed to report their tips(which is one reason businesses have tip pooling, another is so they can screw cooks too), and if they don't make enough in tips to make up the difference of 4.75 USD an hour, the business must pay that difference.

That's how the law is supposed to work. It usually doesn't work that way.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    How do they earn below minimum wage? I'm pretty sure that's what the minimum wage is for.
    There are laws around tipping that allow employers to pay below minimum wage if the employee is very likely to be getting tips. It's a vicious circle. Employer pays very little -> People tip EVERY time to "help" them -> Employer keeps paying very little due to tips -> repeat indefinitely.

yea its wrong round here we call that a "cheap bastard"
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyofcode View Post
    There are laws around tipping that allow employers to pay below minimum wage if the employee is very likely to be getting tips. It's a vicious circle. Employer pays very little -> People tip EVERY time to "help" them -> Employer keeps paying very little due to tips -> repeat indefinitely.
    If the employee's base wages were higher, the food would be more expensive anyway. And then people could complain about paying the same for good service as for shitty service.

Personally, I think your wrong,

regardless of country, if your happy with service, you tip the serving staff

Im not saying tip the management but the people who wait on yes,

When I used to run our cafe and got to manager status, I took the tips from all our staff who got them, put it all in a jar and every 3 months or so, they would be dished out between the staff, the only thing I do regret but its the way they wanted it, was it was divided between based on the hours they put in, so my cousin who was working full time got the majority, the girl we had on 5 days a week, 11-3 got the next highest, then my two mates who worked weekends and some nights to clean up after college got the rest.

They had a decent lump each but still would of preferred a equal split,

When I go out, I tip every time, the meal can be fucking awful, but why should I blame the girls waiting on, quite often I go out, and you can see they work their arse off regardless the quality of the meal, AND its always the people serving on, that get the shit for it

Even more so when I go on holiday, I tip, even in the all inclusive hotel I went to last, every night without fail, I gave the two lads 5 euros between the two of them, (when your there for 2 weeks, 5euro a night soon adds up) and at the end of it a 30 euro tip, but within the first 2 nights of tipping, the quality of service we got was a totally different standard to the rest of the guests, it wasn't just the tips it was also because we spoke to them, had a laugh, first name bases, told them not to bother with sir and mam crap etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't tip, and you aren't expected to where I live. They already get paid for doing their job, and the customer shouldn't the one paying it.

depends on what you tipping for. strip clubs then yes you should tip. restaurant depends on servers performance. landscapers no
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

No brain work? You can always tell when somebody hasn't worked in service before. Yes, you're wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are expected to tip where you are, and choose not to, you are an asshole. Simple.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I don't tip, and you aren't expected to where I live. They already get paid for doing their job, and the customer shouldn't the one paying it.
    The customer is paying for it either way. You just pay it through higher food costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    Most wait staff get minimum wage or less depending on the state and they have to survive on their tips, so yes it is wrong.

There's a lot of arguments for both sides. While I fall on the side of not tipping, since it does not solve the problem that waiters and waitresses are really going through, which is a severely insufficient wage, I do tip whenever I go out with my girlfriend as her mother was a waitress, and it's a tiny thing I can do to avoid a little bit of arguing during the payment and after leaving the restaurant part of going out.

Whenever I go out by myself or with friends, I usually don't. But it is your choice, and whatever people consider to be right or wrong is their right or wrong. If you honestly don't want to tip, don't.

As an additional point though, even if I don't tip usually, if it is far beyond what I expected for a night out, I will tip a waiter/waitress who is working particularly hard. As an example, I recently went to the olive garden, and even though our waitress was very busy and you could tell she was stressed, she still moved very quickly, brought way more breadsticks than we usually get (we're talking containers of 7 or so breadsticks per round she came around), and was very quick in addressing anything. I had no issue tipping that, but I consider that to be along the same lines as going to a store or buying from a company that has treated you right.
    Last edited by Ohgodspiders; 2013-05-18 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Addendum

10+ Year Old Account
    at a restaurant, i rarely tip, maybe if its a really busy time and im feeling generous, but generally servers don't rely on tips here, they are paid just as well as any unskilled job. if i pay by cash, which is really rare, if the change is under £5 ill just let them keep the change.

if im getting food delivered i usually tip a few £, a lot of the people i tip here don't really understand why im giving them money when ive already paid though :\
    dragonmaw - EU

I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    I think its only in 3rd world countries people tip anyway, in the normal countries the salary of the servers are paid by the employers.

Deleted
    In this country servers are paid a fair wage, no need to rely on charity.

Waiters/Waitresses are paid below minimum wage, you are most definitely an ass for not tipping.
    __

There are exceptions, if they provide terrible customer service then it's fine not to tip.

If you don't tip because they're busy, you're still an ass.

{imagine an obese donkey baring it's teeth}

The kind of person who deserves spit in their food.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the US, tipping is part of the unspoken contract of eating out. If you don't like it, or can't afford it, don't eat out. It is not acceptable to just stiff the server (who did not make the laws that allow them to be paid less than half of minimum wage) especially for no reason. Try to change the laws if you really want to take it to that degree, but don't cut someone out of their money and/or get them in trouble with their boss if they did a good job.

Saying that, if a server does a bad job? Please don't just leave no tip. Let their manager know. Leaving no tip let's the bad server just write you off as a dick who doesn't tip, and they don't improve their performance. Similarly, their coworkers all still have to work with them. Alerting the manger lets them know the issue and do their job, which is to placate you and train the server.

Yes, server's employers have to make up their wage to minimum. That being said, needing that service more than 'every once in a while' will most likely get you fired for being a poor server (regardless of that being the reason for not getting tips or not). Also, waiting tables is a job where you expect to make more than minimum wage. It is hard work, much more physical that people realize, and not something most people are very happy to do for minimum. They do it because the earning potential is higher.

Edit: This post is obviously for Americans, eating at restaurants that use servers/server wages. I'm aware tipping is not so endemic in other countries. This sort of applies to other professions where tipping is expected, although to a lesser degree. I would still tip, but it would be more of an "optional nod for good service" than with waitstaff. None of the others count on those tips as part of base-wages quite so badly, other than maybe hairdressers, but again, that is because of how the law in this country allows it to be.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2013-05-18 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the us, it is. you would be wrong not to tip. and it is also a dick move