Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 1 of 48
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I never tip- is that wrong?

I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?

In the US, yes.

In a country that has decent wages for personnel, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, depends on what you view as right or wrong, but overall yes. Their salaries are severely shortened because of the expectation that they will receive some compensation for their services directly from the customer.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've had this thread several times before, and it always turns into a mess.

I tip. The wage system is set up weird and should be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    As staart said, in the US this is usually not acceptable because servers are paid below-minimum wages. It's partly why the food is cheaper. In other countries, nobody cares because they're paid like everyone else.

But IMO, a server still needs to do a good job for that tip, otherwise I just tip the cook. Bringing me my food is your job. Making sure I'm enjoying my meal, have a full drink and am enjoying my stay at your business is what earns tips for servers. Last time I got horrible service I had great food. I just went and asked for a manager so I could talk to the cook and tipped the cook directly.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never tip, but then again, I live in a place where waiters and deliver boys get their minimum wage.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    As staart said, in the US this is usually not acceptable because servers are paid below-minimum wages. It's partly why the food is cheaper. In other countries, nobody cares because they're paid like everyone else.

But IMO, a server still needs to do a good job for that tip, otherwise I just tip the cook. Bringing me my food is your job. Making sure I'm enjoying my meal, have a full drink and am enjoying my stay at your business is what earns tips for servers. Last time I got horrible service I had great food. I just went and asked for a manager so I could talk to the cook and tipped the cook directly.
    I'm a fan of both doing that and leaving a single penny behind to let them know that I didn't forget, I was just displeased by their negligence.

That said, I'm usually a very understanding person, and I'd have to be given pretty horrendous service to be pushed that far.

If the OP was from a European nation I would say that it is alright to not tip, because they get paid like every other employee does. In the US (or 'Murrrica' as the OP likes to say) serving staff make ridiculously low wages with the expectation that they will receive additional compensation from guests. Now, I have had times where I didnt tip when the service was truly awful, but I always ensure I leave at least 15% tip.

In short, yes, OP it is wrong that you do not tip. They provide you a service and (generally) work hard and deserve to put a little food on their table and a roof over their head.

There is this scene in the movie Reservoir Dogs that sums up my feelings of tips.

Although where I live tips aren't helping people scrape by because regardless of tips or not their pay is fine. Tips are just extra cash. From what I have read American employers can legally pay below minimum wage if their employees are very likely to be getting tips and that is stupid.

Yeah, i've seen this thread a couple times before and it always seems to go the same way:

-OP is a cheap ass who tries to justify his/her lack of tipping by saying it's an easy job and they're already paying for food

-He/she gets called out for being a cheapass douchenozzle for most of the thread

-Thread gets ugly and eventually gets closed

Now, I will say this, if you don't tip your waitress/server/bartender, etc. then yes, you are a complete douche and should get your food spit in or something to that extent, UNLESS they absolutely don't deserve and worsen the dining/drinking expirience. If you don't want to tip, you're more then welcome to stay home and make your own food. Otherwise, you are having a service provided for you, don't be a douche
    Quote Originally Posted by danielu100 View Post
    gharld fu cked name,all my friends are playing on this patch and its going fine,u fu cking ugly kid go comment ur mother face not here, morron shit.
    50% nerdrage, 50% wut? o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Always tip people who serve the food you eat, to ensure that the food you eat remains uncontaminated.
    Putin khuliyo

I don't tip either but I quickly forget about feeling bad when I remember how poor I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Always tip people who serve the food you eat, to ensure that the food you eat remains uncontaminated.
    I'm pretty sure that's just the classic movie cleche.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me.
    I have a hard time believing this is a non-troll posting.. but yes, you should always tip.

Servers in the US earn below minimum wage, which is made up for by their tips.

So yes, you should tip.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

Assuming you live in a society where tipping is the norm, yes it is wrong.

Here is the tipping system:
    Pro- you get pay the service employee based on their performance, creating an incentive for them to serve you better
    Con- you have to do grade school math when you go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    Servers in the US earn below minimum wage, which is made up for by their tips.

So yes, you should tip.
    How do they earn below minimum wage? I'm pretty sure that's what the minimum wage is for.
    Hi Sephurik

15+ Year Old Account
    OP made this thread just to get a rise out of people.
    /ignore
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Generally, I get served BEFORE I tip. People who boast about "tips" being an acronym for "to ensure proper service" are idiots. If a business has no intention of properly serving me to begin with, they're sure as hell not getting their money up front.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyofcode View Post
    There is this scene in the movie Reservoir Dogs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38 that sums up my feelings of tips.
    now I suddenly understand why people have called me Mr. Pink so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    How do they earn below minimum wage? I'm pretty sure that's what the minimum wage is for.
    There is a minimum wage, which is $7.25 I believe.
    Then there is a minimum wage for tipped employees, which is $2.13.
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList