Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    Yeah, i've seen this thread a couple times before and it always seems to go the same way:

-OP is a cheap ass who tries to justify his/her lack of tipping by saying it's an easy job and they're already paying for food

-He/she gets called out for being a cheapass douchenozzle for most of the thread

-Thread gets ugly and eventually gets closed

Now, I will say this, if you don't tip your waitress/server/bartender, etc. then yes, you are a complete douche and should get your food spit in or something to that extent, UNLESS they absolutely don't deserve and worsen the dining/drinking expirience. If you don't want to tip, you're more then welcome to stay home and make your own food. Otherwise, you are having a service provided for you, don't be a douche
    Lol'd.

We are being provided a service, we're paying for that service aswell.
    Do you honestly think that if i order a steak at a resturant that i'll be paying exactly what the stake is worth? That it would cost me the same as if i bought it uncooked and made it myself? No.
    Food at resturants is more expensive than normal. The "leftover" money from that goes to the owner and the resturants workers.
    Now why should i feel obligated to pay a little extra to a girl who gets payed less than most other working people in the world? Is it just because she earns so little?
    By that definition, the salary i get from my job, i should make sure i have exactly enough to pay my rent and bills, buy food for a month and then just a TINY bit over so i can start saving up to do something fun every once in a while. The rest of my salary i should go donate into charity. Right?

No. I don't tip. They're already being paid.

Talented football players gets paid 1000% more than doctors get. And doctors save lifes while football players kick a football.
    World isnt fair. Screw the "Expected to be paid more as a waitress"..
    Last edited by mmoc785098bf0a; 2013-05-18 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Waiters/Waitresses are paid below minimum wage, you are most definitely an ass for not tipping.
    __

There are exceptions, if they provide terrible customer service then it's fine not to tip.

If you don't tip because they're busy, you're still an ass.

{imagine an obese donkey baring it's teeth}
    I don't think giving them "pity money" is the right idea behind tipping. If someone is doing a good job, it's the role of the employer to pay for that good work. If the customer appreciates it too, then they should have the discretion to give the worker a little something extra.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    there is NO excuse for not tipping, unless the person you would tip is rude or abusive, or has bad service. there is no actual defensible reason to not tip otherwise. the reservoir dogs scene has no merit. none. if you do not tip, you are wrong. plain and simple. not debatable, not defensible. you. are. wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    The kind of person who deserves spit in their food.

and that pretty much explains whats wrong with the system...

i worked as a server for 4years during school, never once did i think about doing something to someones food because they didn't tip.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Always tip people who serve the food you eat, to ensure that the food you eat remains uncontaminated.
    Do they contaminate it before or after they find out you will not tip?

Deleted
    depends on the service.
    you get a Waiter / Waitress that makes you feel welcome, gives you good service and keeps there distance whilst your enjoying a meal then yes, you absolutely should tip unless its covered in the service charges.

if you get an ass of a server, who gives terrible service, and is genrally bad at their job, then no, you dont tip

ooh grats on your 10k rich!

Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    there is NO excuse for not tipping, unless the person you would tip is rude or abusive, or has bad service. there is no actual defensible reason to not tip otherwise. the reservoir dogs scene has no merit. none. if you do not tip, you are wrong. plain and simple. not debatable, not defensible. you. are. wrong.
    your saying that as you belive tipping is usual for the rest of the world

its not

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't think giving them "pity money" is the right idea behind tipping. If someone is doing a good job, it's the role of the employer to pay for that good work. If the customer appreciates it too, then they should have the discretion to give the worker a little something extra.
    I don't tip out of pity, I acknowledge that the tip is part of paying for the meal where I live.

Depending on how good the service is, I alter the percentage tip I give.

10+ Year Old Account
    anyway, im probably done with this thread already. seen these before, it will just turn into a EU v US on their minimum wage and tipping culture, with people coming in saying anyone who doesnt tip is a dick, people saying they mess with food if they dont get tipped and then people saying they never tip because their country pays their staff properly.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    The kind of person who deserves spit in their food.
    Scumbags like that should be fired and banned from ever working in a place that serves food for life.

As I understand it, it's courteous to do so in the US (if not downright obligatory), but not in other parts of the world where there's better minimum wage laws.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    depends on the service.
    you get a Waiter / Waitress that makes you feel welcome, gives you good service and keeps there distance whilst your enjoying a meal then yes, you absolutely should tip unless its covered in the service charges.

if you get an ass of a server, who gives terrible service, and is genrally bad at their job, then no, you dont tip

ooh grats on your 10k rich!
    Thank you, I do little at work except for spamming forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunix View Post
    your saying that as you belive tipping is usual for the rest of the world

its not
    If you've already seen that a person is completely unwilling to discuss something, or accept that other people will have other opinions and viewpoints, then there's no point talking with those people.

There's lots of other people here who are more open minded and willing to talk about this. Believe me, it's really easy to look at a post like that and jump on the impulse to try to point out how a statement like that is... blunt and very narrow minded, but there's better people to talk to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    If you ever tip someone just 'because' and not because the actually did something good then You. Are. Wrong.
    Bringing you the food and being polite is standard. Not something i'm willing to throw my money at.
    Being expected to tip is just stupid and wrong. What others do has no merit. None. If you do tip for no good reason, you are wrong. Plain and simple, not debatable, not defensible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been brought up to tip so I see it as a normal thing to do. It is strange though why I have to tip someone for doing their job...

Personally I think you're cheap if you don't tip. I even tip my barber.

I deliver pizza. About half the money I make comes from tips. Needless to say I'm a bit biased.

If you really, strongly feel on a philosophical level that tipping is wrong, more power to you. I can't argue with something that's that much of a part of you. I don't agree with it, but whatever.

However if you're asking, it's definitely a nice gesture in my eyes. I'll put it like this - when I was a naive high schooler, I never tipped. I didn't have an actual income so the extra two or three dollars was needed in my mind. Ever since I've worked a job with tips, I've became quite the tipper. I don't tip outrageous amounts, but I always make sure to give something fair. Even if the service is terrible I'll leave a dollar.

People can talk as much shit as they want about how tips are "undeserved" or whatever, but you'd sing a different tune if you worked in the same business. They're an integral part of our pay, bottom line. Don't take it out on us for working in a system that's stupid. We're just trying to get by.

That said, there are of course situations to not tip - absolutely horrendous service, rude people, and I never use tip jars at places like Subway unless they just did an awesome job making my sandwich. It's a slippery slope. What it really comes down to is you. A dollar or two isn't going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    anyway, im probably done with this thread already. seen these before, it will just turn into a EU v US on their minimum wage and tipping culture, with people coming in saying anyone who doesnt tip is a dick, people saying they mess with food if they dont get tipped and then people saying they never tip because their country pays their staff properly.
    What's unreasonable about that?

EU: Fairly paid server, cost of employees factored into the cost of meals = No necessity for tipping
    US: Unfairly paid server(below the legal minimum wage, with tip assumed), cost of employees not factored into the cost of meals = Necessity for tipping

Lots of cheap people on these forums. I'm happy I don't work in a restaurant.

Tips not only are part of the waiter/waitress salary, but they share it with boss boys and other employees. By not tipping them, you make them lose money they could have done with normal customers.

Some countries have tips included into the bill (like France), then of course it's not required, but otherwise, you're just a cheap bastard if you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends where you are, for example i find out in a bad way that if you don't tip in U.S it means that the service was really bad, if i like the service i tip, if the service was.... "normal" i don't, BTW in U.S i never tiped was because when we give tip we put the money inside something...., not in the table, so if you don't give me where to put the money i won't give you a pennie :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I don't tip out of pity, I acknowledge that the tip is part of paying for the meal where I live.

Depending on how good the service is, I alter the percentage tip I give.
    I tipped the full price of my meal last time, but it was because the server was EXCELLENT. We were seated in the most crowded part of the restaurant, with the best section(more open, by the windows, etc..) completely unoccupied with the host claiming "oh we don't have anyone to work over there." And then seeing our looks of disbelief she said "well I guess I can just tell the server you're out of section." We almost stood up and left right there.

After a few minutes the server came over and she was bright-eyed, full of energy, chatted with us, helped us figure out what we wanted, and ended up giving us things that weren't even on the menu. Told us it wasn't a problem that we were like, 6 feet away from "her" section. We tried like 6 different types of wine with her and our night was just plain awesome. Well, they goofed on my meal a bit, but re-did it, and didn't charge me for EITHER(the first was about 11.50, the second 13.50). I tipped the waitress $15 because she was just that awesome.

Taking our order and delivering our food is IMO what a waitress gets "paid" to do, and I've been places where that's ALL they do for you. So I figure if they're not willing to do more work than they're required, then I'm under no obligation to have them paid more than they're required.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.