Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    in the US at least, yes. I don't know how it works in other countries, but most servers are paid minimum wage, maybe a little more if they've been at it for a good long while. would you like to be trying to make a living working fulltime for $7.25 an hour, probably in need of 2 jobs, and some may even have children they're trying to raise while doing it. I wouldn't tip someone at my local gas station, unless maybe it was one where they have someone who fills up your tank for you, then maybe a dollar or 2, but if it's at a restaurant or a delivery or anything else I feel I should tip. that is, as long as they deserve it, and were doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    No I shouldn't have to do shit. What SHOULD be done is to give these people minimum wage to begin with, that's what SHOULD be done.
    This is an issue with the employer/government rules for minimum wage, it's not about me not being nice or ignorant.

They should have it like everyone else. You do a good job that means good advertisement for the restaurant and they'll give you a raise.
    That is the proper way of doing things. A paying costumer is already doing just that, paying. It's not up to us to pay the salary of someone elses employee because they can't be arsed to cover it entirely.
    Okay, but that's not what's going on right now, so you shouldn't be so rude and arrogant about it.

Also, how is a server "advertising" if the customers are already at the restaurant...?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want to have dinner with you if you weren't tipping. If I were forced to i'd be inclined to tip for your douche baggery. Assuming you live in the US.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

When I go to a restaurant I am in the belief that I'm paying for both food + service, I see them as one entity. If I want service as an optional then I'd pay you full price for that service, not tip extra for something I am in belief I am already paying for. That's how I justify it.
    If you were paying for food+service simultaneously, why do restaurants have a way for you to get a to-go option AT THE EXACT SAME COST?

Also, why are you paying the same for excellent service and bad service?

Unless you're just being cheap, have some balls and tell all your servers from now on that you don't tip. If you don't, then you're just all talk.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Except not always. Last weekend I went to a steakhouse and had a small, cheap steak. Only like, 17 dollars, and the total bill was somewhere in the 60s. Weeks prior, I went for something a bit higher and it cost 33 dollars for mine and it was in the range of 90. Same amount of plates. What "care" would he have done to the more expensive check?

It's a pedantic point but one that always nagged at me. Don't see why the waiter deserves even more of my money just because I decided to splurge a bit.
    If you go to an expensive steakhouse and order at 30 dollar new york strip one week the server botches the order.. its what ever it will be handled.

A week later you splurge on a 500 dollar cut o Kobe Beef, the server has already tripple checked your order before entering it, the server knows EXACTLY how you want it prepared, the server is eyeing the grill cook making sure he doesnt over cook it, the server makes sure they are ready to take your plate to the table the SECOND your food hits a plate *doing this while letting other tables wait extra moments without being attended, because at this moment you are the most important customer*

And i would guess the mentality to want to splurge and piss money away, you should bring enough to endulge the server whos gonna make your tummy full, keep your mixed drinks or beer cold, and make sure your enjoying yourself.

I usually tip at least Something, might not be the largest one they get but I spare what I can. That being said I rarely get any services that require me to tip someone.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    Regardless of what should or shouldnt be done legally by the federal government. The laws of the land as is, expects the consumer to tip the server, and then the goverment further taxes us on the tips we do make.

Where i live it falls on the customer, and the average consumer expects when going to a place to eat, to tip, at least SOMETHING.

I get that it is too rooted down on US' culture to change it easily but that system has more disadvantages by far, specialy with the expectation of tipping a certain percentage of the bill. Basicaly things don't have a fixed price.

Please bare with me on this one: Prices in a restaurant are an under-estimative of the real price of things, so depending on what percentage you have/want to tip you have to calculate the new value you have to pay. The more items you select the more that value will fluctuate. Now imagine a city full of teens and young adults on a tight budget. For them it get's harder to go out and eat something every once in a while because a) i'll imagine most teens don't get an allowance in the range of several hundreds to spend and b) the fact that the more you buy the more the value you'll end up paying will be higher than the value you'd get if you added up the cost of every item, that ultimately feels very prohibitive for someone like i described, ending up by hurting the commerce.

Just my 2 cents on the matter..

15+ Year Old Account
    So you're saying I should give them pity money because someone else doesn't pay them for the service they employed them to perform.
    And if service is a different branch, then why the fuck is it forced upon the costumer when it's not wanted or needed?

When I go to a restaurant I am in the belief that I'm paying for both food + service, I see them as one entity. If I want service as an optional then I'd pay you full price for that service, not tip extra for something I am in belief I am already paying for. That's how I justify it.
    But I just explained how it's not included. Just because you think it SHOULD be included doesn't make it so. I agree that the employer SHOULD pay them a normal wage, but the employer has convinced the government otherwise. Change the law.

So, again, I ask: how do you justify not paying someone for the work they're providing for you in the meantime, until the law is changed?

Also, there are eateries with no service. It's called "counter service", and tipping is not expected there / it is written into law that they pay normal minimum wage.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you go to an expensive steakhouse and order at 30 dollar new york strip one week the server botches the order.. its what ever it will be handled.

A week later you splurge on a 500 dollar cut o Kobe Beef, the server has already tripple checked your order before entering it, the server knows EXACTLY how you want it prepared, the server is eyeing the grill cook making sure he doesnt over cook it, the server makes sure they are ready to take your plate to the table the SECOND your food hits a plate *doing this while letting other tables wait extra moments without being attended, because at this moment you are the most important customer*

And i would guess the mentality to want to splurge and piss money away, you should bring enough to endulge the server whos gonna make your tummy full, keep your mixed drinks or beer cold, and make sure your enjoying yourself.
    So you just affirmed what I said. It's a broken system. They aren't providing equal service. Would you be okay with the other tables tipping less because their service suffered due to my extravagant order?

This is why tipping is fucked. I tip and I tip well, but I can certainly understand why some people hate doing it.

All of the vitriolic "I hope you get food poisoning!" shit is hilarious, too. You can really tell who has worked food service and who hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    If you were paying for food+service simultaneously, why do restaurants have a way for you to get a to-go option AT THE EXACT SAME COST?

Also, why are you paying the same for excellent service and bad service?

Unless you're just being cheap, have some balls and tell all your servers from now on that you don't tip. If you don't, then you're just all talk.
    Some cheap people just need a means to rationalize the bad they do. I know a girl who when she eats out only ever pays on a credit card that asks to see ID, if the server doesnt check id, she wont tip.

She uses the rational that they are not protecting her money.

When however, even IF the card is stolen and the server does the right thing, the server is then stuck paying for the meal the customer ate.
    No server will check your id before using a credit card. This is common sence... but she does this to help herself sleep at night.

This is why nobody goes out to eat with her anymore, because shes cheap.

Deleted
    Okay, but that's not what's going on right now, so you shouldn't be so rude and arrogant about it.

Also, how is a server "advertising" if the customers are already at the restaurant...?
    * Have you heard about Danny's Deli? Great food and the staff was really nice and helpful. You should take your whole family and go there!*

* Have you heard about Danny's Deli? Great food but the staff was kinda awkward and atmosphere rather depressing. Too bad, could have been a great place.*

That's how.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potente View Post
    Im not gonna read through all the above posts. Stop eating out now if you dont tip. Stay at home or eat your mcdonalds. Servers make below min wage and depend on tips to pay bills. They dont get paychecks cause of all the taxes. You should be ashamed of yourself. If you make the mistake of eating out again I hope you get food poisoning.
    You really should have read some posts before yours...

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, an original thread! /sarcasm

This has been beaten into the ground OP, seriously.

I'll say it again though. It entirely depends. If a waiter/waitress goes above and beyond just bringing my food, being nice, and filling my drinks, I will tip. If they just go through the bare minimum, then no, they're already earning their pay. A tip is exactly that - a tip. OPTIONAL. You give me good service, I'll give you an OPTIONAL tip. I'm not in charge of paying your wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    So you just affirmed what I said. It's a broken system. They aren't providing equal service. Would you be okay with the other tables tipping less because they didn't spend near as much as I did?
    Yes, if you willing to spend more, of course im going to treat you better, the higher your check average the better the money i get to live my life.

Now this is NOT SAYING, that you give one table amazing service and another table shit service. All tables should be treated great.
    Now thats the difference between a server and a Great server like myself.
    My tip average is 30% at almost every table i go serve, its rare for me to get tipped less then 20% but it has happened, usually from foriegners who dont understand or dont care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    But I just explained how it's not included. Just because you think it SHOULD be included doesn't make it so. I agree that the employer SHOULD pay them a normal wage, but the employer has convinced the government otherwise. Change the law.

So, again, I ask: how do you justify not paying someone for the work they're providing for you in the meantime, until the law is changed?

Also, there are eateries with no service. It's called "counter service", and tipping is not expected there / it is written into law that they pay normal minimum wage.
    They should make it clearer that it's not an included service then. They just look like sad puppies if you don't tip, it's not like anyone considers it stealing or anyone does anything about a non-tipping costumer. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but it's not like this isn't extremely dodgy conduct by restaurants or anything. Or as was said previously, they could at least ask if the costumer wants service and are willing to pay for it before they get served.

Some cheap people just need a means to rationalize the bad they do. I know a girl who when she eats out only ever pays on a credit card that asks to see ID, if the server doesnt check id, she wont tip.

She uses the rational that they are not protecting her money.

When however, even IF the card is stolen and the server does the right thing, the server is then stuck paying for the meal the customer ate.
    No server will check your id before using a credit card. This is common sence... but she does this to help herself sleep at night.

This is why nobody goes out to eat with her anymore, because shes cheap.
    Kinda sad to tip someone based on if they check ID, regardless how good or bad the service is.

* Have you heard about Danny's Deli? Great food and the staff was really nice and helpful. You should take your whole family and go there!*

* Have you heard about Danny's Deli? Great food but the staff was kinda awkward and atmosphere rather depressing. Too bad, could have been a great place.*

That's how.
    Atmosphere != Server quality

One server != All of the staff

Are you being serious right now? I can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Wow, an original thread! /sarcasm

This has been beaten into the ground OP, seriously.

I'll say it again though. It entirely depends. If a waiter/waitress goes above and beyond just bringing my food, being nice, and filling my drinks, I will tip. If they just go through the bare minimum, then no, they're already earning their pay. A tip is exactly that - a tip. OPTIONAL. You give me good service, I'll give you an OPTIONAL tip. I'm not in charge of paying your wages.
    And im allowed to deny service to any table i please...thats the way it works. Alot of servers dont exercise this ability.

I do, people like you, at least in the US where i serve who view it as an option, will wait for a table, even if my section has open tables. I remember faces, and remember bad tippers, and not for nothing the second you sound canadian or from europe i will refuse service.

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 10:35 PM ----------

They should make it clearer that it's not an included service then. They just look like sad puppies if you don't tip, it's not like anyone considers it stealing or anyone does anything about a non-tipping costumer. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but it's not like this isn't extremely dodgy conduct by restaurants or anything. Or as was said previously, they could at least ask if the costumer wants service and are willing to pay for it before they get served.
    Untrue, if seen servers curse people out, hit people, follow a customer to their car and hand them back a meager tip.

And servers like me, where if you frequent my place of business, and your a known bad tipper, you will not get a seat at my tables even if you request me.

Sucks that they earn so little but I don't see why that should be the customers problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I have never tipped a dime in my life. Why do people feel obligated to get money as if i'm already going to give it to them?

Usually the task they're doing requires no brain work at all, so why should I reward you?

I just frustrates me. Am I wrong to thing this?
    HOW MUCH DO SERVERS MAKE /HOUR IN THE US?
    I've replied to a similar post before, but I will say again, as a former server in the US, for the past 20 years the hourly wage has always been a whopping $2.13/hr. That includes all the hours of set-up, cleaning, bussing tables, prep work in the kitchen (making salads, helping the kitchen catch up or get ahead for the next shift etc etc, & you still only make that same $2.13/hr, even though others in the kitchen never make less than minimum wage.

And as the income tax of different states vary, the IRS adds in a supposed/assumed amount per hour of tips and you are charged with as part of your income, whether you earned that shit or not.

I am sorry that this "frustrates" you so damn much, but if you have an issue with or a problem with your server, say something or ask for a different one.

If they do their job & treat you well, (don't forget they have other tables & orders & kitchen work that you may have zero awareness of) then treat them decently & give a fucking tip. Even something under the usual 15% is better than NOTHING.

Also remember that if you treat a server well & are a regular there, they will most likely go out of their way, above & beyond for you & your table as well as keep in mind to be kind to the people that handle your food >.>

Deleted

Atmosphere != Server quality

One server != All of the staff

Are you being serious right now? I can't tell.
    Of course I'm serious. The overall quality plays a big role if a restaurant becomes popular or not, that includes the quality and manner of service.
    A server is a representative for the restaurant, in fact it's generally the only person you meet when visiting a restaurant.